G5 Buying advice neede

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm getting ready to buy a G5. I've found a deal for a new Rev B DP 2.0, 2Gb Apple RAM, original Apple ATI 9800 Pro, Bluetooth, Superdrive, 160 GB, and Apple Care for $2953.25 from an authorized dealer. Does this seem like a good deal? Should I worry about fan noise from the 9800? I'm still hesitent about pulling the trigger and getting it. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ConcoursAL

I'm getting ready to buy a G5. I've found a deal for a new Rev B DP 2.0, 2Gb Apple RAM, original Apple ATI 9800 Pro, Bluetooth, Superdrive, 160 GB, and Apple Care for $2953.25 from an authorized dealer. Does this seem like a good deal? Should I worry about fan noise from the 9800? I'm still hesitent about pulling the trigger and getting it. Any thoughts?

sounds too good to be true, mostly because of how much Apple Ram that is as a percentage of the price they're giving you.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I would suspect that it's not actual Apple-branded RAM - not that I ever suggest buying that anyway. Apple RAM sold at retail, by the Apple Stores, comes in a box with an Apple logo. It's also generally twice as expensive as is should be.

Of course, it's possible that it's a dealer CTO, custom ordered with the extra RAM, and the dealer gets a good price on it.

I'd go with third-party RAM regardless. Most 3rd party RAM comes with a Lifetime Warranty, and I am pretty sure the Apple RAM carries the standard Apple one-year warranty (or 3 years with AppleCare).

As always, YMMV.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Get it that's a great deal. But I think if I was you I wouldn't be worrying about fan noise from the 9800. Take this from someone that has Rev. B Dual 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5 that has 9 fans in it....(get what I'm saying?)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The system in question is here:

link
  • Reply 5 of 11
    That's not a Rev. B that's a Rev. A. At first glance it may look like it but according to that site it has a 4XSuperDrive. My Rev. B has an 8X Superdrive.... Still is a good deal. Seems kind of hard to believe it's that cheap. If you want it and you have the money go for it, beats ordering it from someone else but I'd be careful never heard of that site before.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    They claim that it's Rev B. It sounds like they get surplus Rev A options and install them, which somehow keeps everything Apple and under the same warranty. That's the story at least. Good catch on the 4x superdrive O4BlackWRX, I missed that.

Still pondering the purchase
  • Reply 7 of 11
    what does CTO mean?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ConcoursAL

If you're buying the 9800 Pro for gaming reasons, I'd wait a couple weeks/ a month for the X800 Mac Edition. If not, go for it. However, I'd buy my RAM from crucial.com, awesome prices, great reliability.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by wienerdog

what does CTO mean?

configure to order
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Does anyone know anything about this reseller? They are mentioned on dealmac.com on occassion.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Good thing I waffled on this! Not because of questions about the system or reseller, but because my company had an ADC hardware discount asset I could use. For a few extra $$$ more than this deal, I have a Dual 2.5/1GB RAM/250GB HDD/GeForce 6800/Bluetooth/Airport on the way. It's going to be a long 3-5 weeks.