Tips for a year-old switcher?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Nick's topic of tips for a new switcher got me to thinking...

I've been a Mac user for almost a year now (bought my PB 12" last Oct.). I know Mac OS X pretty well and can do pretty much anything I need to do on a daily basis. Do you all have any tips for someone a year into the Mac OS X experience? I've hardly touched the Terminal (haven't had a need to yet), haven't really played with AppleScript (again, no need as of yet), etc. What would you all suggest I explore next in becoming a Mac OS X wizard?

Just wondering...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    For starters, have you mastered keyboard navigation yet -- both navigating through fields and buttons as well as command key shortcuts?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    I know quite a bit about navigating with the keyboard, but certainly not the way an experienced Mac user does. Any tips?

Just noticed something that bothers me... why doesn't CMD-Up and CMD-Down work in all windows/frames for page up and page down? Entourage 2004 mail preview pane for example. It would be nice if this worked across the board. It works in Safari, not in Firefox. Go figure.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Butler

This program enables you to have *complete* control of your computer through key commands, it also gives you complete customization of your key commands, and it adds a menu bar item that enables you to quickly access search engines and webpages as well as applications, it enhances the clipboard, and basically does a wealth of other really neat things.

if you're the type of user that like to be able to get everything just as you like it, get this program!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I use Quicksilver myself...

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

I tried Butler, but it never really caught on with me.

Mike
  • Reply 5 of 12
    rara Posts: 623member
    In the Terminal type apt-get moo and prepare to be amazed.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

Just noticed something that bothers me... why doesn't CMD-Up and CMD-Down work in all windows/frames for page up and page down? ...

I think you want to use the function key "fn" to do that. On the Powerbook all of those alternate key uses are accessed via the function key.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Is there a BIOS-like interface for the Mac? If so, how do you access it?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

Is there a BIOS-like interface for the Mac? If so, how do you access it?

No.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    There is firmware access though which is really cool! (Though not necessarily very useful for most people).
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

There is firmware access though which is really cool! (Though not necessarily very useful for most people).

I didn't know that. How do you access it?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

I didn't know that. How do you access it?

Hold apple-option-o-f while restarting.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

Any goods by doing this for the average user?

I'd recommend terminal cmds as the like:

"top" (shows active processes)

after "top" type in "x" "t" "w" for better viewing and understanding.

if you want to kill a process, type in "kill" and appropriate PID. Cool.

and of course:

"sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" (basic maintenance)

did i mention "uptime"? If you ever want to know how long you are up, then type "uptime" into your terminal