Apple music event set for Oct. 26

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple and alternative rock band, U2, will team up to introduce new music related Apple products and services next week.

Apple Computer will hold a music-centric event on Oct. 26 at the California Theatre in San Jose, Calif., according to invitations distributed to select members of the media on Monday.

"Steve Jobs, Bono and The Edge invite you to attend a special event," the invitation reads. Bono and The Edge are members of the popular rock band U2. The event is scheduled to take place at 10AM Pacific Time.

Last week Apple unveiled a new promotion with U2 to celebrate the release of its new single. The track--titled Vertigo--was made available for purchase and download exclusively from the company's iTunes Music Store.

Apple chief financial officer, Peter Oppenheimer, later hinted at additional collations between the two parties during a financial conference call. "You will hear more about Apple and U2 working together in the coming weeks," he said.

Apple will likely use the upcoming event to introduce the next wave of expansion for its popular iTunes online music store, which will feature a multi-country European launch. The launch is expected to include music stores in more than five new countries with recent reports indicating the Netherlands, Poland, Denmark, and Switzerland as likely candidates.

The event, which will likely feature a live performance by U2, may also play host to the introduction of a 60GB color screen iPod with photo viewing and TV connection capabilities and iPhoto software for Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    something tells me that something is up... you know. up. way up.

(guess i better clear some credit card overhead)
  • Reply 2 of 31
    iTunes 5? 60GB iPod? pan-EU iTMS?

Whatever it will be, it will be good
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I'm thinking 60g iPod. I guess I should say hoping.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    60 Gig iPod with U2 songs preloaded (per Think Secret article) and color screen. Sounds about right to me.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    soosysoosy Posts: 23member
    "iPhoto software for Windows"?... that would seem very unlikely.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    "alternative rock band U2"?

LOL.

Somebody needs to catch up with 1987 before it's over.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Steve Jobs, Bono and The Edge invite you to attend a special event

OMG, they're forming a band!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    A flash based iPod and U2's album on a flash card!

Macrovision awhile back seemed to have licensed DRM from Apple:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08...sion_fairplay/

The above story mentions Q4. But the article also assumes the format is CD.

I believe the format is flash.

A flash based iPod and U2's album on a flash card, it's all coming together for me.

See if I'm right on the 26th!

Stangely enough, Gizmodo has a story about Robbie Williams' new album being available on MMC:

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/next...mmc-023594.php
  • Reply 9 of 31
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    fock'n shite!

I think they meant alternative-to-rock band.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The 'Pope of Pop' meets the 'Dalai Lama of Integration' and er...that Edge chap.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    New ipods with color screen and bono's face on the scroll wheel "Confirmed!"
  • Reply 12 of 31
    iPhoto on PC, ehh? Why don't they just port iMovie and iDVD over to Windows also and remove any reason for consumers to switch to a Mac?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

A flash based iPod and U2's album on a flash card!

Macrovision awhile back seemed to have licensed DRM from Apple:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08...sion_fairplay/

It didn't say they licensed it, just they were 'confident' they would be able to license it.

But why would anyone want to have albums starting to be distributed on flash cards? You want to carry around a bunch of flash memory cards for all your albums? I thought the whole point on the iPod and like devices was so you could have all your songs handy at one time, not just that it was in a smaller space.

And there's the drop factor. CDs were bulky, but at least hard to lose. You could easily have one slide out of a pocket or hand and right into the gutter...
  • Reply 14 of 31
    AppleInsider seems to forget that there was an article in Canada's National Post stating that the iTunes Music Store is set for launch in Canada next month. Depending on if they get their marketing materials set up.

I expect the announcement to happen on October 26.

It's about time.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

60 Gig iPod with U2 songs preloaded (per Think Secret article) and color screen. Sounds about right to me.

I've seen this mentioned before, and I'm a little unclear on something. The bits of the agreement between Apple & Apple Corps that are available say something about Apple Comp being able to distribute/sell music digitally, but not on any physical medium. Wouldn't pre-loading an iPod, or selling a pre-loaded flash card, violate this agreement?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Uberspleef

I've seen this mentioned before, and I'm a little unclear on something. The bits of the agreement between Apple & Apple Corps that are available say something about Apple Comp being able to distribute/sell music digitally, but not on any physical medium. Wouldn't pre-loading an iPod, or selling a pre-loaded flash card, violate this agreement?

At this point I say f the Beattles. God love Paul and Ringo and god rest John and George.

But enough is enough
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

iPhoto on PC, ehh? Why don't they just port iMovie and iDVD over to Windows also and remove any reason for consumers to switch to a Mac?

Exactly my thoughts when I saw that. My guess is that there will be somthing to "encourage" the halo effect.... "Hey look at all this extra cool stuff you can do with your iPod on a Mac!"

Maybe a cut down version of iPhoto is posible as a means of moving pictures on and off? Although, come to think of it if they ported all of iPhoto they could sell a heck of a lot of extra photo albums......

hmmmm.... wait and see.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by humanfellow

AppleInsider seems to forget that there was an article in Canada's National Post stating that the iTunes Music Store is set for launch in Canada next month. Depending on if they get their marketing materials set up.

I expect the announcement to happen on October 26.

It's about time.

hmmm they better damn well launch itunes canada soon or change the picture on apple.ca.

"Vertigo by U2 - Exclusively on iTunes"

A bit of a kick in the face for us canadians if they don't launch it here as well
  • Reply 19 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

"alternative rock band U2"?

LOL.

Somebody needs to catch up with 1987 before it's over.

Thats what I got out of the article too
  • Reply 20 of 31
    In addition to all of the obvious announcements mentioned above, I expect to hear the following:

Apple Computer will sponsor the upcoming U2 World Tour and a version of the iTunes Visualizer will be incorporated into their stage show (with the prerequesite Apple logo appearing frequently).

Lets see if I'm right.

Peace