Apple to release updated iBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From MacRumors

[Update] MacRumors has received confirmation that new iBooks are indeed on their way in the following configurations:

iBook 12" 1.2 Ghz G4

512K L2 Cache

256 MB Ram

30 GB Hard Drive

Combo Drive

iBook 14" 1.33 Ghz G4

512K L2 Cache

256 MB Ram

60 GB Hard Drive

Combo Drive

iBook 14" 1.33 Ghz G4

512K L2 Cache

256 MB Ram

60 GB Hard Drive

SuperDrive

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    I wonder what the prices are if the specs are nearly the same...and if the vram is upgraded and AE are built in...I'm skeptical on the 12" spec, no one in the industry uses 30gb drives anymore...i can't see 30gb HD's being available until the end of another product cycle....
  • Reply 2 of 38
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gcarswell

I wonder what the prices are if the specs are nearly the same...and if the vram is upgraded and AE are built in...I'm skeptical on the 12" spec, no one in the industry uses 30gb drives anymore...i can't see 30gb HD's being available until the end of another product cycle....

I too hope there's a little more to them than indicated here. A 200mhz upgrade on the 12" and a 133mhz upgrade on the 14" with a superdrive version rather than BTO option hardly seems worth reporting.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    So... except for a speed bump, no other changes whatsoever?? HDD? RAM?

I'm still betting iBooks will get a Core ready GPU, probably the nVidia 5200 Ultra, maybe ATI 9600Mobile
  • Reply 4 of 38
    extext Posts: 2member
    Maybe they start at $399
  • Reply 5 of 38
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    For Core Image it would have to be at least GeForce 5200 go w 64 Mb. If they went with 9600 Mobility the iBooks would have better video than the 12 in powerbook which would be unlikely. Unless the Powerbooks are to be upgraded soon! I guess we'll know tomorrow!
  • Reply 6 of 38
    powerbooks must be updated really soon if it's just a speed bump - only way i can see them having the ibooks nearly as fast as the pbs for any length of time is if they're waiting to release something really big
  • Reply 7 of 38
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Except for Dell?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=i700mS1&s=dhs

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...s=dhs&kc=6V421

Still lots of 30gb notebook hd's being used.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    those new powerbooks are a ways off.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    New Apple iBooks in the pipeline.

Apple Computer this week will refresh its iBook line of laptop computers, sources with ties to the computer company confirmed on Monday.

With the new offerings, the high-end 12-inch iBook will include a 1.2GHz G4, 512K L2 Cache, 256MB of RAM, a 30GB hard drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo drive, VGA-out/Enet/56K and built-in Airport Extreme.

Meanwhile, sources said the 14-inch iBook will boast a top speed of 1.33GHz G4 with 512K L2 Cache, 256MB of RAM, 60GB hard drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo drive, VGA-out/Enet/56K and and built-in Airport Extreme.

Apple last refreshed its iBook product line in April alongside updates to the company's professional line of PowerBooks.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

...i can't see 30gb HD's being available until the end of another product cycle....

This is Apple we are talking about here you know.

Besides the HD size isn't really the big sin of Apple hardware. It is the reality that the allocated RAM is always far to little. Let face it OS/X just loves RAM, the more the better, why Apple markets machines with these limitations really has me wondering.

It does make me wonder if they addressed the addressing limitations on these machines. 2GB would be just aobut right in an ibook.

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 38
    If the pricing at MacRumors is correct then the entry-level 12" iBook will not only gain 200 MHz and pre-installed Airport Extreme, but also drop $100 in price. If one assumes that most people who buy laptops these days do so with wireless internet, then one might say that the iBook gained 200 MHz and dropped $179 in price (no longer having to BTO that AE-card). Considering that this is Apple's entry-level laptop, this is a really sweet deal! Switchers rejoice!
  • Reply 12 of 38
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Standard Airport AND faster speeds AND sub-$1000. Not bad. Edu pricing probably starts at $899 with CD (OK for a second machine or a school lab).

If true, it can't be too long until at least a minor PB revision. A speed boost at least. (Not bump... speed bumps slow you down!)
  • Reply 13 of 38
    dang it, my friend bought an ibook about 20 days ago... would they allow him to exchange for the faster one?
  • Reply 14 of 38
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I can only hope this means new PowerBooks soon...
  • Reply 15 of 38
    I hope they update the website soon!
  • Reply 16 of 38
    I'm about to buy an iBook but if the new lineup isn't CoreImage/Video-ready, I ain't buyin'. It better damned have Airport Extreme built-in too.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Update to occur in 1:30hrs. Not sure if iBook or iPod but it will be happening Tonight.

Stay Tuned......
  • Reply 18 of 38
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    FYI: European stores are down.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Australian store too
  • Reply 20 of 38
    I got an e-mail from a reseller early this morning announcing the new iBooks and Power Mac. Wonder if Apple will be pissed that they jumped the gun?