The Great List of Abandoned OS9 apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

Mr. Me

I have to disagree with you about ATM Deluxe. Just like Thorzdad I think ATM Deluxe was great because it was simple yet powerful. I never had any problems under OS 8 or 9 using ATM Deluxe and I use lots of fonts.

I can understand you not liking it but I don't know why you would think it is a "Hack"?

I didn't say that I didn't like ATM or ATM Deluxe. I am a registered user. I have used ATM since ATM 1.0 when it worked poorly to ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 when it works fairly well. However, it is a hack--an evolved hack, to be sure. But it is a hack with all of the disadvantages of hacks. To be specific, ATM Deluxe is unstable. The latest release that I have on CD is ATM 4.6. However, a couple of obscure compatibility updates are required for it to work properly with MacOS 9.2.2. I find it a real pain to completely restore ATM to its most compatible version if the installation is irrepairably damaged.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    While we don't need ATM anymore, I would like a Type Reunion feature to be rolled into FontBook. It's a real pain to scroll through a zillion fontnames while lots of them are just from the same family. Only InDesign does it the way it should.

Maybe there's a utility wich does just that (i.e. Suitcase maybe), but if Apple takes font managment seriously, this should be a standard for all apps.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    A *lot* of OS 9 utilities and even apps used "hacks" of the system folder in one way or another. When you get down to it, any extension in OS 9 is a "hack."

Can we really include games in this list? It's not like those things get upgrades aside from bug fixes. A lot of apps were discontinued in '96 and '97 too in the Bad Old Days but well before OS X was announced. Really, I miss more of those orphaned apps from that era than any that were abandoned in the transition to OS X.

Finally, I think people in the graphics industry can be tied to OS 9 due to Quark and RIP issues, plus a lot of Carbon ports are *still* not performing as well in X as they did in 9 for a variety of reasons (new multitasking architecture, old and redundant code, etc.).
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Have you tried Chartsmith?

No I haven't. Thanks for the link.

I've been playing with SPSS and Aabel, but both leave me pulling my hair out trying to do the simplest things.

edit,

I forgot to mention that I very much miss the stat program StatView, which got bought out and killed. SPSS just hasn't been working for me, so I continue to use StatView in classic despite the number of annoying incompatibilities that have krept in over the years.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

No I haven't. Thanks for the link.

I've been playing with SPSS and Aabel, but both leave me pulling my hair out trying to do the simplest things.

edit,

I forgot to mention that I very much miss the stat program StatView, which got bought out and killed. SPSS just hasn't been working for me, so I continue to use StatView in classic despite the number of annoying incompatibilities that have krept in over the years.

My God man, SPSS is not a replacement for Cricket Graph. KaleidaGraph is a lovely and powerful charting application that seems to have been designed as Cricket Graph's big brother. It is a veteran Mac app that only relatively recently was ported to Windows. If you like the original Cricket Graph, you will love KaleidaGraph.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Thanks Mr Me. I look into that app as well.

I'm using SPSS for stat analysis as well, or at least that was the idea when I bought it.

My old work flow was data>StatView for analysis and charting>ClarisDraw or AppleWorks to put charts together and make things look like they should.

For publication (in scientific journals) I used to print out (now it's submit online in electronic format) the charts. I would also need to sometimes import the charts into MS Word for either submitting online with figures attached to the main manuscript or for grant writing, were figures are among the text.

What has happened to my old work flow is that the software I'm used to hasn't kept up with the times. In addition to the problems mentioned above, AppleWorks doesn't let you save files at resolutions above 72 dpi. Most publishers whant 600dpi Tiff or Jpeg files, they don't always take PDF. Also importing into MS Word looked great when I used to export as EPSF files, but now that doesn't work and the files exported as PDF or any other compatible file format look like crap when placed into word. (Come on Apple we need Apple Office to fix this).

I know there are many apps out there that can do everything i want, but my needs are really quite simple-stuff that was done well on my Mac 10 years ago. Today all the apps are too big, too complicated and too expensive for me to want to deal with them. Sure I can use Adobe illustrator instead of AppleWorks, but it takes me a day to get things done that can be done in an hour with AppleWorks.

Well, rant over. Thanks for the heads-up on the charting apps.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    WormsWorms&Worms.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Not app.. but the OpenDoc technology.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Not app.. but the OpenDoc technology.

OpenDoc was way cool. I was pissed when they killed it. But this is so not going to happen. Newton will rise first. Sigh.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    The Microsoft Exchange client for Macintosh.

For many people, this is the one of the main reasons they haven't moved to OSX in the office.

Sure, Entourage is supposed to provide most of the needed Exchange connectivity needed by a Mac-user in a corporate environment. But it still falls short of what a dedicated Exchange client needs to be. There are hacks that allow one to use the current Exchange client in Classic, but that's, obviously, a poor substitute for a dedicated OSX-native client.

Of course, no-one should hold their breath waiting for an actual Exchange client to come from MS anytime soon.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Maelstrom. It's the bloody reason I got a Mac. Dammit Ambrosia, I demand Maelstrom ][ for OS X!
  • Reply 32 of 54
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Maelstrom is available for OS X--I was playing it just the other day.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

cricket graph -simple and easy charting - RIP

ClarisDraw- yes there is Appleworks, but a few things were better with ClarisDraw, eg. save as EPSF (which worked well for getting drawings into MS Word) and the floating pallet for alignment.

Deltagraph produces very nice output in a wide variety of styles but it is a little pricey.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    OneClick, a program not quite like any other for automating work, creating custom palettes of your own buttons. My wife is so dependent upon it that I have one machine still running 9.2 just for that reason.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Lunatic Fringe/After Dark in general;

UT (classic) ? 2003/4 were released for OS X, but frankly UT Classic is still better;

ABBYY Finereader
  • Reply 36 of 54
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    SoundSculptor II

WordPerfect 3.5e

--though both work in Classic.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Lunatic Fringe/After Dark in general;

UT (classic) ? 2003/4 were released for OS X, but frankly UT Classic is still better;

ABBYY Finereader

After Dark does exist is OSX, you can find it here .
  • Reply 38 of 54
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Unreal

Sin Gold

MacSpeaker (loudspeaker measurment)

TopBox (loudspeaker calculations)
  • Reply 39 of 54
    I second the need for Streamline

I also want/need Carmageddon II..

no driving game has ever come close to the shear joy of literaly flying over a city in a car to crash land on your friends car..

so many good times..

flick.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    I'll throw in for Streamline, also. I'd forgotten about that one. Oh, and Letraset Envelopes.