What about my needs? When tolls the imac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When would a hardware update to our beloved desktop be made typically? I may be an ignorant newbie, but I was surprised that no one, keynote or otherwise, has made an announcement about the slightest improvement to the one foot wonder...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Probably at the end of the month.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Yes, I hope Apple improves the iMAc too. I am planning to get one soon, and a price drop would be nice.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    I don't understand why Apple doesn't lower the price on its existing machines to clear out the inventory. If you have two different laptops running at 1 GHZ, there is no reason the iMac can't as well.

Apple, I am waiting to buy a new iMac. Please release a new machine and take my money
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ..i'm in the same boat.

..want a 17"er but with a rumored spruce up anywhere from 2-4 weeks away..i can wait.

..oh darn.

• Reply 5 of 11
    personally, i'm hoping that the new powerbook technology makes its way to the imac...namely 800mbit/sec firewire and bluetooth. a GPU upgrade would certainly be welcome as would a 133mhz system bus...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Yup. I'm waiting as well to replace my 4.5 year old Rev.A iMac. I've told myself that I wouldn't settle for anything less than 1Ghz, desktop or notebook.

Late January or early February sounds right for an iMac speed and feature bump. Personally, I'm more interested in 802.11g and Bluetooth than FireWire 800.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>Yup. I'm waiting as well to replace my 4.5 year old Rev.A iMac. I've told myself that I wouldn't settle for anything less than 1Ghz, desktop or notebook.

Late January or early February sounds right for an iMac speed and feature bump. Personally, I'm more interested in 802.11g and Bluetooth than FireWire 800.

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

Commenting on your sig: The new PowerBook weighs 4.6 LBS now!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    "The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."

...and that 12inch Powerbook looks pretty useful.

Lemon Bon Bon

iMac: 17 inch standard. 1 gig. Graphic card bump. Bus bump. Bluetooth. Firewire 800. 'Low end' iMac does an 'ibook' and crashed under the £1000 mark with style.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    With regard to apple having discounts on iMacs, UCLA store is selling 17" iMacs at $1699 WITH 3-year Applecare.

However, this has been going on for sometime, and it doesn't explain why they're not discounting the non-educational prices though.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I still hope the only reason why we haven't seen iMac upgrades at the expo is that Apple waits to accumulate a sufficient stock of faster G4s. If iMacs get PPC7457 which supposedly run cooler then Steve Jobs can at long last pull the fan out. Well, I hope so.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    It's surprising Apple has left their hit desktop machine, the iMac, to sit and antiquate itself for almost 13 months now. Seriously, has Apple ever left a Mac go this long without an update? Adding a 17" model to the existing lineup is NOT an update...

The iMac update that is already well overdue, will probably be too little too late, and too expensive. I'm expecting a 133MHz bus (even though it really needs to 167MHz bus like the 17" Powerbook), a 1GHz G4 at the most, Bluetooth, Firewire 800, Airport Extreme, and probably a GeForce4MX in all models (even thought it's hardly faster than a GeForce2MX). I'd also expect one of the higher end models to get a GeForce4Ti, and one of the lower end models get a 17" screen and a SuperDrive.

I just hope Apple stops crippling the processor by not putting the L3 cache on it. It REALLY reduces performance... and with the overly high price of the iMac in the past year, you'd think they could cover the cost of adding it with the high margins...

Oh, and an upgradeable video card would be nice (like the Cube had).

Don't get your hopes up high though. I think it's going to be a long slow ride until Apple jumps ship to IBM for their next-gen processors. And even when they do, I still wonder how competitive Apple will be with the rest of the industry.