Offbeat: Apple patents shutter interface, offers iMac carrying tips

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft--Can't Spin Like This

Apple has received a patent for the camera shutter interface element. The animated graphic is present in popular Apple applications such as iPhoto and iTunes.

Why Apple filed for the patent is unclear, but we're sure there is a darn good reason. Having been bitten in the past in copyright infringement battles with the likes of Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard, it appears that the company is now attempting to stop others from copying even the simplest of its interface elements.

The patent, described as an "ornamental design for a user interface for computer display," credits the original design to Timothy E Wasko. Wasko worked with Steve Jobs at NeXT Computer and later migrated to Apple after the NeXT acquisition in the late 90's. He is also credited as one of the three original designers of the company's software interface for the popular iPod digital music player.

Grasp Her with Both Hands and Don't Let Go!

Odd patent indeed, but not nearly as humorous as a recently published Apple info document titled "How to pick up and carry your iMac G5."

"Don't know how to pick up and carry your iMac G5? It's easy," the document says. "Before moving your computer, make sure all cables and cords are disconnected."

For those challenged iMac users, Apple details the tricky party. "Pick up the iMac G5 by grasping both sides of the computer. Carry it to wherever you wish."

Sources warn that the document may be uncompleted, as no further instructions are listed. One frustrated iMac G5 adopter fumed in e-mail conversation with AppleInsider, demanding that Apple complete the document so they he may be instructed on how to safely "put the computer back down."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Is it just me, or does that look like more like the camera shutter used in iPhoto and iTunes to protect the burn button?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Is it just me, or does that look like more like the camera shutter used in iPhoto and iTunes to protect the burn button?

No... I think you are correct. It shows it opening up!

Time for an update.

Thanks

Kasper
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Laugh all you want, but I tried picking it up by one side and it didn't work at all. I ended up using my teeth. If I'd known to hold BOTH sides it would have been much easier.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ' One frustrated iMac G5 adopter fumed in e-mail conversation with AppleInsider, demanding that Apple complete the document so they he may be instructed on how to safely "put the computer back down."'

Buah HAHAH! You're gonna feel the wrath of Steve for that.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Well, you may laugh, but considering that some people may feel compelled to pick it up by its base, which, unlike the previous iMac, it is not designed to do, this instructs them on the correct way. (I guess you all'd just let the user decide how to pick up a delicate piece of equipment).

It all may sound obvious, but the part about unplugging the cables says it all. Apple's playing it safe by not thinking that all their owners are rocket scientists.

Hell, bicycle manufacturers had to start putting warnings on their bikes to tell people that if they ride them at night, they might not be seen by motorists and get killed. 20 years ago that would've been a 'duh' statement. Now, with people getting stupider AND more litigious ("Wow, I'm an idiot, I put my hand into the fire, and it got burned. I'm suing the company that made the matches for not warning me that fire was hot!"), its better to be safe than sorry.

It also helps keep maybe a half-dozen people who, for lack of reading a book, might look on-line to answer this question, rather than calling a tech person at apple. (As in, if they didn't post the document, and someone wanted to know the answer, they wouldn't find it on-line...)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dumb question: should i be picking up my new 20 inch display by the sides? it feels better to carry it by the base....
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Grasp Her with Both Hands and Don't Let Go!

Odd patent indeed, but not nearly as humorous as a recently published Apple info document titled "How to pick up and carry your iMac G5."

"Don't know how to pick up and carry your iMac G5? It's easy," the document says. "Before moving your computer, make sure all cables and cords are disconnected."

For those challenged iMac users, Apple details the tricky party. "Pick up the iMac G5 by grasping both sides of the computer. Carry it to wherever you wish."

Sources warn that the document may be uncompleted, as no further instructions are listed. One frustrated iMac G5 adopter fumed in e-mail conversation with AppleInsider, demanding that Apple complete the document so they he may be instructed on how to safely "put the computer back down"

There are some people who should'nt bother "switching"
  • Reply 8 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    wow... AI has a sense of humor? What will this lead to CARSai? Or maybe one of the CARS staff contributed?

• Reply 9 of 9
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Is Apple gonna start to patent everything that they create, like the fast user switching cube effect?