Expanded multi-user controls, QuickTime sharing spotted in new Tiger builds

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

That's a good question. I'll try to provided an illustrated answer this week

The input menu has changed.....

Best,

Kasper

Here is yer answer:

Fast user switch menu shifted to left of Spotlight.

You can view by name, icon, or short name.

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Here is yer answer:

Fast user switch menu shifted to left of Spotlight.

You can view by name, icon, or short name.

Best,

Kasper

Kasper:

Thanks for the inside scoop and pictures...what does the "icon" look like for FUS?
  • Reply 43 of 56
    It´s´great that you can change what Fast User Switching shows in the menu because Windows AD domin names can get rather long sometimes and take 30% of the menu on a PB 12"
  • Reply 44 of 56
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gorickey

Kasper:

Thanks for the inside scoop and pictures...what does the "icon" look like for FUS?

I'll bet you 10:1, it's the login icon you see in the login panel.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    I agree that it is not nice of Apple to charge its customers $30 for full screen playback and some other nice features that other free media players offer. I mean, what makes these PRO features anyway?

Exporting and editing is a PRO feature. But playback shouldn't be. Imagine someone who has just switched to Mac OS X.

They have paid money for a new Mac and then they are told that if they want better playback controls for QT that they have to shell out another $30. That's not a good way to sell yourself to the customer.

Mike
  • Reply 46 of 56
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Is the Apple icon on the top left of the menu now highlighted blue?

I hope to God not.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

I hope to God not.

Yes it is.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

I hope to God not.

Glad to see that you've finally crawled out of that cave.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

(Now I'll have to get used to not having that top corner for Expose. THAT would be annoying. Unless Apple adds a delay before Expose kicks in from a hot corner...)

I've been thinking about that, too. A delay might be worse than the occasional accidental hot corner Exposé activation, but still better than the awkwardness of the default keyboard shortcuts. Not sure what a decent "hotspot" activation solution would be...
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

I've been thinking about that, too. A delay might be worse than the occasional accidental hot corner Exposé activation, but still better than the awkwardness of the default keyboard shortcuts. Not sure what a decent "hotspot" activation solution would be...

Yeah, Fitt's Law now works with the Apple menu and Spotlight menu, making those corners not-so-good for Exposé...and the Dock is normally at the bottom of the screen, making the bottom corners acceptable but not-so-amazing for Exposé...luckily, my Dock is on the right side of the screen, and my MX500 handles Exposé via those handy thumb buttons.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Interesting that Apple has chosen to implement user level restrictions as a 'Family' feature. I think this feature should be more universally labeled such that limitted users aren't 'Children'.

The accounts preference pane in general could use some serious attention.

The left hand pane is poorly overloaded. It is a scrollable region but with the top and bottom stationary. However, the top item is mutually exclusive with the items in the list. While the bottom is a button which doesn't resemble a button in appearance, placement or grouping.

'Login Options' shouldn't be in the Accounts scroll region. Instead it should be above the list and not included in the same rectangular region or scroll region.

'My Account' should just be another item in the Accounts list and highlighted by default when opening the Accounts pref pane. The accounts list should have a label. Even clueless users wouldn't be confused by moving ?My Account? into the accounts list. Just put the long name of the selected account in bold at the top of the tabbed region to the right.

These two changes will also make the +/- controls at the bottom of this broken list more intuitive.

Whew. Apple needs to sick a UI guru on the poor employee who laid out this preference pane.

[EDIT: Sent as feedback to apple.]
  • Reply 52 of 56
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Interesting that Apple has chosen to implement user level restrictions as a 'Family' feature. I think this feature should be more universally labeled such that limitted users aren't 'Children'.

Time to re-read that article... "Parent" and "Child" are just account names that were made-up by the person who did the screen shots. However this new feature is poorly name as "Family Control" .. One would hope they could come up with something better and more generic than that. Something like 'Limit Access' maybe.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 56
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

I hope to God not.

You know... It wasn't like this in the WWDC build. However, all promotional Tiger shots (which came from interface mockups and later builds) did display the blue background. I'll ask about this as well and see if this is permanent.

(more on tiger later today)

Best,

K
  • Reply 54 of 56
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Glad to see that you've finally crawled out of that cave.

It hasn't always been that way, smart guy.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Interesting post. speaking of quicktime, will use the same code of old version (since ver 4, if I' m not wrong) or it is new an mainly faster?
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:

It hasn't always been that way, smart guy.

It has been that way since the WWDC in Apple's official screenshots.