Using all-season tires for winter?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With the cold weather quickly approaching, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on all-season tires.

Many people I've spoken to, say that they really suck for winter driving conditions. I'm in Toronto, so we don't get a ton of snow...only the odd storm.

That said, I really don't want to fork out money for winter tires if I don't have to.

Can anyone recommend an all-season that does the job in snow and ice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    what kind of vehicle is this for?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Front-wheel drive VR6 Jetta.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I use snow tires. If you think they're expensive, remember that you're reducing the wear on your regular tires, so you won't have to replace them as quickly.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Drove all seasons for years in Montreal's winter, workable but will never go back.

Winter tires could save your life... and are much more fun to drive!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I pay US$800 for a set of good, Bridgestone summer Z's because I don't like losing traction when I'm being an idiot. I'd easily pay a bunch for good winter tires on your Jetta. It's not an Audi or Subaru, so you absolutely need the best grip you can get, should you hit a patch of ice or compacted snow.

And No, I haven't always lived in Florida.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Consider Murphy's Law: If you install winter tires, the winter will be mild. If you do not, it will snow horribly.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Consider Murphy's Law: If you install winter tires, the winter will be mild. If you do not, it will snow horribly.

Either way.. you'll be screwed?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I live in T.O. too. I think a set of winter tires are a good deal. The black steel rims they come on, can save the alloys from road salt damage, and the potential damage of a rim bending frost heave. I don't know of their effect on resale value.

I get to drive around a fair bit in the sub-rural areas too, Aurora, Newmarket, King, Caledon, Simcoe. Snow tires are good.

I've seen some commercials on TV for newer ice-tire formulations. I don't know if this is just marketting, but if you stay in the city a lot, a tire designed primarily to deal with black ice might be an even better consideration.