Printing from Word to pdf

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by IQatEdo

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback and links. Be interesting to see if this problem can be invoked for other apps that print to multiple pages.

All the best, DavidH.

Finally, it is a section break issue within word indeed. I reproduced that behavior several times. I don't get it yet, but it is a section break issue

Nothing wrong with "print to pdf though."
  • Reply 22 of 32
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Finally, it is a section break issue within word indeed. I reproduced that behavior several times. I don't get it yet, but it is a section break issue

Nothing wrong with "print to pdf though."

Greetings

When you say 'nothing wrong with "print to pdf though"', are you saying that the problem is not with OS X but rather with Word?

All the best, DavidH.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I can't explain why Word would do that... other than it surprises me not at all. Who's the publisher? Microsoft? Yup. No surprise.

But I can help you with the PDF reordering:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20286

I've done the PDFs and images into Word thing, and the results have never been good - either the quality of the images is destroyed when you finally print them out (Word wants to redo the images in its own format), or the file size is *horrendous*. Try the above little free app. It works great.

Kickaha

Thanks so much for the link, the app does a great job - mark another one up to Realbasic! I've also used it to join pages scanned from articles that I wanted to archive.

All the best, DavidH.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Greetings

When you say 'nothing wrong with "print to pdf though"', are you saying that the problem is not with OS X but rather with Word?

All the best, DavidH.

yes

(i do not intend to make it more complicated than it is. ) The Macos X build in pdf feature is quite good enough for most purposes. If you like to do serious - speak: large pdf based projects, with a lot of pics inside - than "print to pdf" is probably not the route you should go.

Look, i create pdfs nearly on a daily basis, all from word.app.

page count: aprox 10-120. Works amazingly flawless.

Or creating a pdf file from any webpage ...(thank you kick)

I wouldn't do the same with 10-120 page quarkxpress docs, which contain hundreds of pics inside. Therefore i would go acrobat indeed.

hope that clarifies a bit
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Kickaha

Thanks so much for the link, the app does a great job - mark another one up to Realbasic! I've also used it to join pages scanned from articles that I wanted to archive.

All the best, DavidH.

Oh man, this app is amazing. Why didn't you tell us dumbs earlier?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Because I'm an evil mod that likes to watch the monkeys dance.

Dance my monkeys! Daaaaaance!

Actually, I saw this thread, figured someone would have already mentioned it, waded in a bit later, and realized no one had.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Notch another one up for Word. When printing to pdf from Word, I use descriptive names that often test the character limit for names (31 characters). However, I use a custom toolbar that contains all the tools in one place that I use frequently, such as 'Paste Special...'. When I print to pdf with this toolbar in use, Word suggests the name 'Custom' in the save dialogue rather than the actual file name modified with the extension '.pdf'. This means of course that I have to type the whole name in again.

Roll on Appleworks!
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

Hi Mike

Interesting result, a document within a document, each potentially with a set of scroll bars!

Thanks for that, David.8)

Sorry if I might have sounded confusing. But I meant just copy and paste the contents of your Word file into Text Edit and then save the new Text Edit file as a .DOC file.

Mike
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Sorry if I might have sounded confusing. But I meant just copy and paste the contents of your Word file into Text Edit and then save the new Text Edit file as a .DOC file.

Mike

Hi Mike

Of course, silly me. Interesting effect though!

David
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I found this thread while Gooogling this very problem. I'm NOT a mac user typically but my PhD thesis has bene created on one and I (of course) ran into this section break problem. Fun problem that had me very annoyed this morning.

Versions of software:

OS X

Word X

Acrobat 7 Professional

Work-around:

take the document and print preview it with acrobat chosen as the printer. It'll come up in the preview application as three different pdf files. From there you can save as "chapter2-1.pdf" chapter2-2.pdf" etc. you can combine them in acrobat. yay!

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by accidentalsuccess View Post

I found this thread while Gooogling this very problem. I'm NOT a mac user typically but my PhD thesis has bene created on one and I (of course) ran into this section break problem. Fun problem that had me very annoyed this morning.

Versions of software:

OS X

Word X

Acrobat 7 Professional

Work-around:

take the document and print preview it with acrobat chosen as the printer. It'll come up in the preview application as three different pdf files. From there you can save as "chapter2-1.pdf" chapter2-2.pdf" etc. you can combine them in acrobat. yay!

I hope this helps.

Welcome to AppleInsider!

Give the application 'Combine PDFs' a go, works very well.

I resort to word only if desperate, I use Pages and print straight to PDF. I'm working on a PhD too, hope your's goes well.

Thanks for following up, appreciated!
  • Reply 32 of 32
    janljanl Posts: 1member
    I was having the same problem, my Word file was split in two when I converted it to PDF. The problem? My file or manuscript was in Compatibility Mode. The solution was getting the file out of Compatibility Mode by saving it as DocX. Once I did that the file converted into one PDF file. Hope this helps.