iMac G5 Power Connector

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know the pin mapping of the power connector used on the 17" iMac G5?

I have a spare mid plane assembly and I'd like to get it powered up and and maybe use it as a server or something (it's too good to waste!)

I could go poking about my machine with a meter but I'd rather not..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    How did you end up with an extra logic board?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

How did you end up with an extra logic board?

I got the G5 a week ago and I noticed that the CPU fan seemed to "whirr" a bit, I see similar posts on Apple discussions.

When I called Apple they wanted to change the machine for a new one but I refused because it was working fine and I had already transferred all my stuff from the G4. So I asked for a new mid plane assembly.

Obviously they wanted the old one back but I refused to take a second day off work just to wait for the UPS guy, eventually they agreed that I could just keep the old part and "do what I wanted with it"

SCORE!!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    You lucky bastard.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

You lucky bastard.

I second that emotion. You are indeed, the lucky bastard of the week(tm)!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    The new board didn't even cure the noise! it's exactly the same.

I think perhaps I was being too picky, it's actually only noticeable when there is no other noise in the room. I had a friend over who owns a pc and all they had to offer was "what fan?"

One thing I did notice was that I got the built in bluetooth when I bought the machine, the replacement board was of course the same but after I changed it the mouse and keyboard were still paired with the old board.

Luckily I was able to use the USB mouse from my G4 to set them up again, I would have been struggling otherwise (using my cellphone to control the pointer maybe..)

Also the bluetooth module seems pretty easy to remove, two screws and it unplugs, the aerial needs routed round the back but otherwise not much harder that installing memory, Apple should sell it as an accessory for people who wanted to buy the machine elsewhere.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I was just going to say, are you interested in selling your BT module?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Oooh, oooh, I know.

Complain about the second board to the point where they send you a third, and give the second to me! I'll pay shipping

Maybe it will be better on the third... you never know.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I'm actually considering putting the board on eBay, I have a G4, G5 and an iBook, I don't really have a compelling use for another machine!

My other option would be to hook it up to a 28" LCD television and use it like a home entertainment centre, I could just do this with the iMac though.

Either way I could part with the bluetooth module beforehand. If you want it then it's yours.

I'm open to offers. I live in the UK if it makes any difference (postage etc).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Thank you for the offer, but I think I'll take a pass. I'm worried I could end up in a situation where I need warranty service and Apple denies me because they didn't originally install the BT chip.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    No worries, I've checked out the power supply and it's held shut by phillips screws with security pins in the centre so I'll have to find my security bit set before I can investigate further but so far I have found that there are 4 different voltages present.

3.3v

5.1v

12v

24v

I'll post back once I have more info, in case it's of use to anyone.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that safari starts using vast amounts of processor time when typing here in the reply box? Mine is currently hogging 70 % or so. As soon as I hit "submit reply" the usage starts dropping..
  • Reply 11 of 12
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    I don't know how often Apple changes the pin mapping on the power supplies but I have an MDD G4 powermac power supply (which was upgraded on the noise issue) that you can have if you want to pay postage (which may be quite high). I live in Edinburgh.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I'm interested in the voltages especially since I have an iMac also.

Safari goes crazy when there are lots of animated gifs present. You can see this for yourself by running top in a terminal window while Safari is opened to the reply page. Now, scrolll the animated gifs so they are off-screen. Safari's CPU usage drops to almost nothing. Scroll the gifs onscreen again and watch CPU usage spike to 100% then settle to 70% or so.