iPDA? will we ever see it?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just received a PocketPC iPaq but the windows-ness of CE2003 is really making me itch for an Apple PDA. Does anyone have any idea if Jobs would ever consider doing a PDA? He was so vehemently against the Newton, I would highly doubt it. But look at the success of the iPod!

Somehow my hope will never come true.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    You're right. It will never come true.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    "g3pro" was once Steve Jobs email address handle reportedly.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

"g3pro" was once Steve Jobs email address handle reportedly.

Been here since 1998.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    PDAs are seeing their sales struggle. They're becoming more and more integrated into other devices like cell phones. I think PDAs are eventually going away... no use in entering the fray now.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

I think PDAs are eventually going away... no use in entering the fray now.

agreed. when the ipod first came out, many derided it as too expensive. it can take a long time for a new product to gain market share. many in the mac community would early adopt one, but that total headcount is far less than the demographic scope that the ipod appeals to.

ie: the risk is a lot of R&D money against a rapidly shrinking timeframe until cell phones have as much functionality as most folks desire in a PDA.

my thought: in five years, there will be two types of handheld devices:

1) cell phones will ueberfeature sets.

2) mini PCs like the <a href="http://www.oqo.com/">OQO</a>.

so if apple is thinking PDA, i would expect it to fill one of the above categories.

and most likely the latter, eg: mini-tablet. logic being that the cellphone market is already an insanely competitive market.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    I especially don't see apple writing any "lite" version of OS X either, given all of the neat innovation that's been put into it. This lends credence to at the bare minimum, a tablet model of some kind.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

I especially don't see apple writing any "lite" version of OS X either, given all of the neat innovation that's been put into it. This lends credence to at the bare minimum, a tablet model of some kind.

agreed. i'm honestly impressed with the OQO running XP, which is the antithesis of "lite". haven't played with one live, so this first rev might be clunky and slow. but if so, the fact that it works at all means that another couple years will bring a more usable version.

so a mini-mac with full OS X should definitely be possible, at least on par with whatever performance the OQO offers currently.

there's been so much talk and rumor of an apple PDA and tablet over recent years. i wouldn't be surprised if apple has been prototyping all possibilities and just waiting to see how other's marketing initiatives panned out.

eg: wintel tablet = marketing mess, for now. OQO = jury still out, time will tell.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    the iPod is a very clever example for the integration of software with some smart designed hardware. for organising >5000 tracks and go shopping in an iNet shop, a standalone desktop computer is smarter then a tiny handheld. but a tiny handheld is smarter for playback then a big box with a powerline at its back.

next step: buying videos on the iTMS; organizing pic/video within iTunes; iPod with video out?-

so, what is an electronic organizer for?

you need it for organizing (hey hey) dates and adresses.

therefor you need some kind fo input on the road?- using a trackpad as in iPod needs some very clever software! T9 with a clickwheel? ? not really?-

but:

put it into the cradle (same as iPod?) fw is faaaast), and backup all your adresses and dates within the blink of an eye. flash rom, because it is just a few MBs.-

anybody remembering these calulators, size of a business card? should be twice the size, foldable, one half qwerty, one half b/w display.

very cheap.

maybe as a give-away on the next keynote?-

no, Apple wouldn't earn any much money. the business plan says: high priced devices!

adding some "killer features"? voice-memo? remote control for airport extreme? ?- sound all to cheap for me..........
  • Reply 9 of 17
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    I should have clarified my original post a bit more. I don't want the standard PDA, but more of a tablet PC or mini-tablet PC. Some PC manufacturers have converted laptops to tablet PCs by putting in a flexible screen which can rotate into position. Is the pricing model not where it should be?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

agreed. i'm honestly impressed with the OQO running XP, which is the antithesis of "lite". haven't played with one live, so this first rev might be clunky and slow. but if so, the fact that it works at all means that another couple years will bring a more usable version.

I think that the OQO-type computer is a pretty revolutionary concept, and I have a feeling that it will enjoy much greater success than Tablet PCs have seen. The concept of a PDA-sized device being a fully functional computer for both ultra-portable use and desktop use (via a simple dock) is ground breaking. I'm a techy, but I haven't been this excited about new technology in years, I see huge potential for it.

The above said, I think that a Newton-style PDA from Apple is unlikely, but an OQO-style device is definately a possibility. Apple certainly has the engineering talent to really do such a device "right", as well as the brand name image and marketing dollars to make it a huge hit.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Been here since 1998.

Heheh. I saw that too.

If he's actually been lurking that whole time... insert joke about dead horse here.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

The above said, I think that a Newton-style PDA from Apple is unlikely, but an OQO-style device is definately a possibility. Apple certainly has the engineering talent to really do such a device "right", as well as the brand name image and marketing dollars to make it a huge hit.

Actually if you go to OQO's site and read the biographies for the engineers, some of them used to work for Apple's design team. That's where the design comes from.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

Actually if you go to OQO's site and read the biographies for the engineers, some of them used to work for Apple's design team. That's where the design comes from.

Absolutely! They were former iBook engineers. And if you look at the ports on the side of the OQO, you can definitely see that influence.

Quote:

If he's actually been lurking that whole time... insert joke about dead horse here.

Hahaha. Nah, I'm just reviving it because I got the new pocket PC, and I definitely see some potential in mini-tablet/OQO-like devices in the near future. But I'm concerned about Jobs' attitude towards them.

(And the forum user-database was reset in November 2001, which is why my post count was reset. I've not really been lurking, just moving between PCs and Macs and haven't been able to stay on top of the latest rumors. )
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Absolutely! They were former iBook engineers. And if you look at the ports on the side of the OQO, you can definitely see that influence. ... But I'm concerned about Jobs' attitude towards them.

as i recall, when the OQO folks started out on their own, there was some grumbling about apple corp (read as: jobs) not sharing their vision for the OQO.

we know steve's not a newton fan, so it seems reasonable to assume he's not an OQO fan.

that said, if the concept takes off, apple may follow suit. tho, it will obviously require some major restraint of ego on steve's part.

re: take off, for heavily-travelled business folks, salesmen (presentations), etc..., it could be a compelling laptop replacement.

ie: tiny, but fully functional computer that you can plug into an external monitor/keyboard when parked at an office, but still use on the train/plane (albeit awkwardly).

time will tell. only real downside i see is screen size, but issues therein depend mainly on what apps you want to run on it.

• Reply 15 of 17
    The iPod Photo is it.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 17
    if Apple is willing to cross lines with the iPod Photo, then I can only think an Apple PDA is possible.

A year ago, if a colour screen iPod was mentioned here people would slap you electronically...

So now we have an iPhotoPod

PDA?

Perhaps... Maybe it is the next logical step. Maybe one that is not conventional by current standards.

Maybe a hardrive based PDA?

Imagine the possibilities....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    No. No PDA, Tablet: maybe