iSync rules!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I love iSync. I also use .Mac and multi-computer syncing is the killer features, IMHO.

I use Address Book, iCal, and Safari, and syncing all this info between home, my laptop, my girlfriend's laptop, and work machines is invaluable. And I can't wait to get a snazzy bluetooth phone so its in the sync loop too!

Sure, I could manually export and update all my Macs at once, but what a pain!

Anyone else want to share their syncing experiences, iSync, .Mac, or otherwise?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Before I killed my PowerBook I backed up only the most crucial information manually.

After I killed my PowerBook and replaced it with an iBook, I use Backup to automatically do it's thing every single day to my .Mac account.

All my contacts in Address Book, my work schedule in iCal, iTunes playlists, Safari, Keychain - backed up everyday.

Works great on phones too. Who wants to enter all those munbers manually?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    i did a .mac trial and had terrible experineces trying to sync safari bookmarks. it wouldnt let me just totally overwrite the bookmarks on my powerbook. not impressed. it needs major customization.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    After realizing using DVDs was just a waste of money (and too time consuming) to back stuff up on, I just bought a cheap 250 GB hard drive, and use CCC to back stuff up weekly. Why just copy a few things, when you can save it all?

It works great.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    I have iSync backing up stuff to my .Mac account everyday. It seems slow for the small amount of info it should be transmitting. Other than that it works fine.

One very annoying thing about the iSync app is for some inexplicable reason it will 'beep' and do a dock icon bounce every-time it runs.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I use iSync and .mac constantly to keep my G5, my powerbook, my iPod and my Kyocera 7135 palm phone in sync - it works perfectly and without me even having to think about it. Add to that iDisk and the auto-syncing that does to keep critical files in sync on my PowerBook, G5 and the dell PC my consulting customer forces me to use...

iSync and .Mac allows me go get close to the "pervasive computing" goal - everything I need is with me wherever I am whether I'm at my desktop, laptop, phone or listening to music.

Oh, one more thing in the sycing world - if, like you, you're forced to use MS Exchange then you can use Snerdware's AddressX and GroupCal (www.snerdware.com) to keep your OS X Address Book and iCal in sync with exchange - all to avoid having to use Entourage because Thunderbird is sooo much better.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I wish iSync would work with groupwise. I still use palm desktop. iCal and Address book kind of suck.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I wish iSync would work with groupwise. I still use palm desktop. iCal and Address book kind of suck.

Always on the negative, Scott.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I use iChat too. (This relates to my other iSight poll.) One of my favorite Address Book features is how it integrates with iChat. Instead of seeing everyone's buddy name I see their REAL NAME.

I don't know why this is so foreign to most IM users. After using IM with full names for over a year, I couldn't imagine switching back!

Now if only iChat's IM groups could tie-in with my Address Book collections.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    not being able to put your "alias" in iChat is absolutely ridicuolous indeed.

iSync is a bit weird on me with Address Book sync.

I have 2 Macs and my Nokia 6600 all synched

sometimes I get duplicates of addresses, some old ones pop up again, etc. Its annoying as hell.

I dont know if its a Nokia problem or a Mac problem/ The 6600 is a first gen and I 've never updated it... I never have the time.