Car Tire recommendation?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a 1989 Honda Accord which takes P185/R13 85s tires.

I have a choice between Bridgestone, Cooper Alpha, GeneraL, and Cooper Futura Tires.

I know squat about tires so I was hoping someone here would be able to give me a recommendation.

Also, I have a radial pull on one or both of my front tires. I want to get new tires up there but I was hoping I could put these 2 on the back of the car since they really arent worn out. Will a radial pull be a problem if they arent on the drive wheels? On the front they are causing the front end to pull to the left (or the right when they are wsitched around).

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Firestones.

Remember that? Wow, that dominated the media for a while.

Seriously, I can't recommend anything. I don't drive.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm partial to Michelins for my car and my bike.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I'm partial to Michelins for my car and my bike.

Michelin doesnt seem to make a tire in my size.

My tires are small compared to current models
  • Reply 4 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Just slap some Bridgestone Eagers on it or something. People agonize over tires when it's really not a big deal in reality for most drivers in temperate climates.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Go to TireRack and get a better idea of the tires available for your car and what it will cost.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Michelin doesnt seem to make a tire in my size.

My tires are small compared to current models

Everybody makes a tire for a honda accord.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    89 Honda Accord. . . .

Get something cheap. Cheap tire are, pretty much, cheap tires. They'll work fine for you, and there's no reason to put on tires that cost more than the car itself.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I will just find the least expensive tires (Sears has 4 General Tires for $220 plus tax). Pepboys has Coopers for about the same price, which includes installation.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I have Cooper's on my truck, much better than the Uniroyal's before them, and a lot less expensive.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

I have Cooper's on my truck, much better than the Uniroyal's before them, and a lot less expensive.

Cooper seems to get better reviews than general. I just did some research.

Your handle is the same as a friend of mine who uses his foe his ISP.

You wouldnt happen to live in san francisco do you?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

You wouldnt happen to live in san francisco do you?

'Fraid not. As you can see in the "From" line under my name, I am far from it.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

'Fraid not. As you can see in the "From" line under my name, I am far from it.

didnt think so. I gotta give that lunkhead a call anyway
  • Reply 13 of 18
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    From reading your first post, you said the back two weren't worn out, and the front two are. Remember to rotate tires. Maybe every other oil change or so. All kinds of people have all kinds of ideas on that part. Especially on a front wheel drive car. The front tires are doing the turning and providing the power. On a rear drive car the duties are split obviously, tires won't wear as fast.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

From reading your first post, you said the back two weren't worn out, and the front two are. Remember to rotate tires. Maybe every other oil change or so. All kinds of people have all kinds of ideas on that part. Especially on a front wheel drive car. The front tires are doing the turning and providing the power. On a rear drive car the duties are split obviously, tires won't wear as fast.

Actually, the rear tires are more worn than the front.

Thats why I was hoping to put the front tires on the rear and buy new tires for the front.

The front tires have a slight radial pull that is making the front end uncomfortable to control because it pulls to one side. my mechanic told me it would be OK to put those tires on the rear because the rear doesnt turn.

The rear tires that are on there now dont even match-one is an older almost worn out tire, and the other is fairly new but now looks a little odd because the tie rod on that side broke off while i was driving and the wheel tilted in at an odd angle. Now that tire looks uneven, as if one side is higher than the other.

So basically, the tires on front with the radial pull look almost new according to tread wear, but the pull is driving me crazy. So, I want to put these on the back and get new front tires.

When I ask the tire store they say I should replace all four becayse a radial pull is bad. My mechanic says otherwise.

What to do what to do?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Well, went and stuck my foot in my mouth. I misunderstood the post when I read it. Don't know what to say about radial pull. I would think the mechanic is right and the tire store is just trying to sell you extra tires so they can make money? Try a second mechanic's opinion. Don't know where you live, but if there is a business called Les Scwab(it's a pacific northwest/west coast buisness), they will usually inspect tires for free.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Well, went and stuck my foot in my mouth. I misunderstood the post when I read it. Don't know what to say about radial pull. I would think the mechanic is right and the tire store is just trying to sell you extra tires so they can make money? Try a second mechanic's opinion. Don't know where you live, but if there is a business called Les Scwab(it's a pacific northwest/west coast buisness), they will usually inspect tires for free.

I just emailed someone at tirerack.com. Hopefully they will answer soon cause the front end feels like absolute crap!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Welp, I went to mavis Tire and just bought the least expensive tires they had-Republic Ensign, which is made by Kelly Springfied. I just replaced the front tires and kept the old tires on the back.

Cost me $50 per wheel which included installation and balancing. I also paid $4 per tire for roadside protection against flats, etc.

So far in my limited time driving on them, the pull on the wheel is gone so my mechanic was right about that, the tires roll more smoothly than the old ones, but my steering wheel is still too loose.

Now it looks like I have to get another wheel alignment, even though my mechanic gave me one only 3 months ago. I will get it at a place that will redo an alignment within 6 months or so if it goes out again.

mavis wants $80 for the alignment which i thought was kinda steep.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Update for anyone still interested:

I decided to return to mavis and see if they would let me upgrade the tires they had just installed. They were very accomodating and allowed me to as long as I paid the $10/tire balancing fee again. No problem.

I also told them about the steering feel and to check all my suspension components. They said they would also test drive the car after the new tires were installed.

I exchanged the Republic tires, which were tread rated B for Cooper Tires, which were tread rated A. The cost was only another $10/tire.

What a difference! It actually feels as if my car had a wheel alignment. The steering wheel is no longer loose, the car tracks perfectly and I am one happy camper!

So, if anyone is in the market for new tires, I recommend buying them at mavis.

Make sure to know the tread rating. Make sure the tire is rated A, not B, for better traction.

I also highly recommend Cooper Tires which is what I will be buying from now on.

Unbelievable that a tire that is only $10 more expensive could make such a difference.