Is there any chance of 3D Studio Max on Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As it's something that I use regularly on PC, losing it (and therefore having to learn Maya) is a major hurdle for me if I was to switch.

Has there ever been any talk of Max on Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Thank god no.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Not a fan then I take it.

I work in the game development industry, where Max is as close to a standard as we have. Maya is used, but Max is dominant.

I guess you could say it's the 3D equivalent of Windows - absolutely everywhere although not particularly good. But also like Windows it does get the job done, despite the flaws.

Do plan to learn Maya sometime, although that would benefit me little in the games biz.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 4 of 26
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    From what I heard others say, the code in 3DS Max is _not_ portable and will most likely never be ported.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    "I work in the game development industry, where Max is as close to a standard as we have. Maya is used, but Max is dominant."

That's not remotely true. I've been making games professionally for over a decade and in the past few years I've only dealt with one company that still used Max. There are probably a lot of small windows game dev houses that are still using Max, though.

Maya is cheap, powerful, and unmatched for game development.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

"I work in the game development industry, where Max is as close to a standard as we have. Maya is used, but Max is dominant."

That's not remotely true. I've been making games professionally for over a decade and in the past few years I've only dealt with one company that still used Max. There are probably a lot of small windows game dev houses that are still using Max, though.

I live in the UK, and see a lot of porfolios. A Maya user is a rare, rare thing, and most dev houses here are almost exclusively Max based.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

yes, it s true, and so far from the truth. I work at a games company called Rockstar games, we use Max, extensively. Other top notch game companies still use Max, it IS the standard in games. Hell, Max and Motion builder are the best companions out there for gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an XSI fan mostly, but in this industry, Max is still the best thing out there. Maya? It's good too, but virtually no major games company will switch their pipeline to something utterly different on a whim. Hell, we're still using Max 5 due to such things. Maya might be a cool contender, but it's not Max.

Max is pretty much here to stay for the foreseable future, and Max 7 is pretty good too.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Just as a point of note EA uses Maya because of its better potential use in cinematics and fluid dynamic effects.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    "Max is still the best thing out there."

"Maya? It's good too, but virtually no major games company will switch their pipeline to something utterly different on a whim."

Sorry, that is just silly. If your company still uses Max, knock yourself out. But I've work at five of the top ten or so game publisher/dev houses personally implementing or using Maya for the art pipeline with only one project still using Max.

And perhaps your Rockstar studio uses Max, but the Rockstar studio my friends work at is all Maya.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Max certainly isn't the best out there IMO, but I'm not in game design. I kind of hate a lot of its modeling tools for architectural work.

Anyway, Max's code is too closely tied into Windows' structure and libraries. They couldn't any kind of port without major reconstructive surgery. It's just not built to be cross-platform.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    It's the same story as with AutoCAD in architecture. Long in the tooth, not the best app, but everyone 's using it because, er, everyone uses it (or are afraid to switch) !
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Max certainly isn't the best out there IMO, but I'm not in game design. I kind of hate a lot of its modeling tools for architectural work.

Anyway, Max's code is too closely tied into Windows' structure and libraries. They couldn't any kind of port without major reconstructive surgery. It's just not built to be cross-platform.

You fail to understand what I was getting at. Max is stil the best thing for game developers, it just is. Simply because of the history, the plugins and the ingrained nature of the program. Maya is fine for a few situations, but it's still far from perfect and stil far from being able to function over and above Max.

As to EA, they use Max too, so does Lucas, etc.

To the person who said Rockstar uses Maya, lmao. No, we don't. Not sure of you have the right company in mind there, but we make Grand theft Auto, etc. We use Max. Pipeline? hell yeah, it's no different to film, Maya doesn't bring anything that terribly convincingly new to the table to entail a switch top ot.

So Max i is for games companies, it's just fact. You can talk about Maya til your hearts are blue, but it means nothing when the majority of studios use Max. Get trained up on it, and enjoy.

also, I don't think it'd the best package out there, I'm an actual |XSI fan, but for games production, Max is the best.

For those who thnk otherwise, please go try to work on a game, with a crew of hundreds, then come back and talk.

cheers.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

It is the best for games production, for many reasons. Isn't the best overal package for animation, but that matters not a lot when it comes to the other factors that make Max stand out.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

"Max is still the best thing out there."

"Maya? It's good too, but virtually no major games company will switch their pipeline to something utterly different on a whim."

Sorry, that is just silly. If your company still uses Max, knock yourself out. But I've work at five of the top ten or so game publisher/dev houses personally implementing or using Maya for the art pipeline with only one project still using Max.

And perhaps your Rockstar studio uses Max, but the Rockstar studio my friends work at is all Maya.

LOL, you have no clue my friend. Your friends certainly don't work at Rockstar if you think we use Maya mostly. I can assure you it is Max, Max we use for all our games.

maya, it's great, I have a copy at home, but for game production in a massive studio, and to switch to it mid-production? Nah, doesn't happen, not in this business.

Also, it's a non-issue if you think people are going to touch Maya on Mac, the worst version out there? Come on, only with the latest version has it become even remotely a usable product on the Mac. Of course, I'm talking about majr productions, not some guy in the house.

you're just plain wrong if you thikn Maya is taking over from Max in the games nidustry, just so simply wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I can only assume you are a junior artist at one of Rockstar's studios who has never been to any of their other studios.

I have spent many hours with two friends at one of Rockstar's studios discussing their Maya tool-chain. I have seen their tools in person multiple times.

Just a couple months ago I was visiting a friend at one of EA's main studios. After months of speaking with him about his use of Maya on their project, he showed me firsthand some of their Maya tools on the project and spoke about a few of the MEL scripts he wrote. While we were waiting to head-out to get something to eat another EA artist came up and started chatting about the Maya skills of a recent interviewee for a position on their team.

Enough.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 17 of 26
    kotatsu,

I'm sure you have figured out from all these replies that it is very unlikely that Max will every make it to the Mac. My understanding is that it is largely the Windows based core, and partly some politics.

Whatever. This is the way Mac users act when they get defensive-- "the only reason we dont have your software is because it sucks, or is irrelevant, or is obsolete". It is not pretty. Personally, I'm hoping for a Mac version of XSI.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    "Whatever. This is the way Mac users act when they get defensive-- "the only reason we dont have your software is because it sucks, or is irrelevant, or is obsolete". It is not pretty. Personally, I'm hoping for a Mac version of XSI."

No, Max is a piece of garbage all on its own. Apple and its users have nothing to do with it.

XSI would be a nice addition. Things are looking better with the latest version of Maya for OS X, but Alias could use some competition to get them to bring the Mac version up to the same quality level as the other platforms.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    The handbags have really come out haven't they!

And I thought you Mac guys were supposed to be friendly! Such venom being spat.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This topic isn't worth getting our panties in a bunch. Honestly folks, it's just software. Max used to be the bee's knees for animation too, and I think it's fine for that and rendering. We each have our own opinions, no biggie. No need to get religious. If someone doesn't like the software you use and prefer, oh well.

As far as the "friendly Mac guys" thing, let's not extrapolate the comments from half a dozen people, some of whom aren't using Macs apparently, and apply it to millions of others. Doesn't make life easier.