Flash iPod

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    My question/idea regarding a flash-based player, is the ability to use your own Compact Flash card. I have a ton of 64-128 MB cards that I used with my digital camera before I bought a 516 MB (for $60.00). I would love to be able to use those in an Apple mini-iPod type interface. Just give us the player with the ability to accept CF cards. Apple could sell this for $99 easily, without the cards. I would snatch up at least 5 for Christmas gifts.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Merrill-Lynch has an advisory today (11/25) that says Apple is preparing a 60 GB iPod and a flash-based iPod for the first quarter of next year. It would be pretty silly from a marketing standpoint in my opinion to release a flash-based player right now just as production and delivery of the mini is going at full steam. It still is a sought after item and hasn't reached its sales potential as of yet.

The story is here:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2004/1...ketscan07.html

Also, Apple is going to introduce the aacPlus codec tomorrow according to this site:

http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php?o...rder=1&thold=0

• Reply 23 of 35
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I would've thought Christmas would be a good time to release this sort of thing...
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Christmas selling season began a month ago. A flash player would be just one of 50 or so available and wouldn't really be able to stand out from the rest I think. Anyway, once a consumer buys a mini or regular iPod they would probably consider a low capacity flash player as an addition and not their prime player. Best time to offer such a device would be after a prime Holiday selling season, say next March after tax refunds!..... We'll see.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    If it's not going to stand out, why would Apple release a solid-state player?

I disagree that most people would buy both solid-state and HD-based. I know I wouldn't. It's one or the other.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    A person doesn't always have to take along his whole CD collection on a weekend or daily trip. Many people have bought the mini in addition to a regular iPod. A small, thin credit sized player for a daily commuute or jog that holds 100 songs would be interesting I think. In any event, The Macobserver has more on the meeting between Peter Oppenheimer of Apple and Merrill-Lynch. Both a flash player and color screen iPod are coming early next year according to the article.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    If all this talk of aacPLUS is right even a small iPodflash player will be carrying some hefty amount of songs around..
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Christmas selling season began a month ago.

The traditional Christmas selling season kickoff is the day after Thanksgiving, November 26th.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    The real 'meat' of the debate isn't in if it will ship with FLASH. The debate is if it can be produced and find a niche to fill. The iPod mini *is* the defacto sub iPod the same way the iBook is the subnotebook.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    click wheel makes the iPod an iPod.

flash based player advantage is small

clickwheel cant get much smaller than on mini

therefore, pointless to make flash ipod

• Reply 31 of 35
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

click wheel makes the iPod an iPod.

I'd say, Click wheel makes the iPod the iPod we know.

Quote:

flash based player advantage is small

The two big advantages are much smaller possible size and much better battery life. Of course, they come with a trade-off wrt storage capacity.

Quote:

clickwheel cant get much smaller than on mini

Agreed.

Quote:

therefore, pointless to make flash ipod

It depends. If Apple can offer a relatively cheap model (relative to the current iPod), it will find its customers. At least, I will at last consider buying such a device. Because the thought of carrying in a pocket a music player at a price of a full-fledged home stereo system is driving me crazy.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    they'd call it iPod mini EXTREME!
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

The traditional Christmas selling season kickoff is the day after Thanksgiving, November 26th.

Although the "traditional" Christmas selling season is the day after Thanksgiving, that has not been the case for the past 10 years or so. Christmas decorations in department stores go up as early as September along with seasonal promotions nowadays. Times have changed in order to stretch out the season. Add to this Hanukkah and Kwanzaa and there's a barrage of shopping days to promote (or offend) customers.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    In light of the U2 and iPod Photo iPods...well...

...it looks like Apple are set to crush the opposition entirely with a flash based iPod.

I wouldn't bet against it!

They want as many people as possible to download iTunes at those new stores...

Critical Mass will come if they go Flash based iPod. I feel good for that...

Go Apple!!!

Lemon Bon Bon