Copy Protected CDs and iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Today I was at the mall. At the music store, to be exact. I didn't purchase a CD because it had some copy protection label. I was afraid I wasn't gonna be able to rip the songs onto my iPod.

Can it be done? I've read that the copy protection can be disabled by just hitting the "shift" key while the CD loads. Has anyone bought this kind of disc? Has anyone succesfully ripped songs onto an iPod under these circumstances?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    iTunes can try to bypass the copy protection by using the error correction feature in iTunes' preferences. Some copy protection schemes are nothing more than corrupt data at the beginning of the CD, and this might be able to get through that using a brute force method. I can't say if it really works though, I've never bought a copy protected CD to attempt this.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Better yet, don't buy from musicians who can't jive with the times. It's better to burn out then to fade away.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I buy a lot of music, but I refuse to buy copy protected CDs. I buy a LOT of CDs. A LOT. Ignore the protected ones simply on principle.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Thanks people.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Wasn't this something you could defeat with a magic marker? Or have I just been out of circulation too long?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

Wasn't this something you could defeat with a magic marker? Or have I just been out of circulation too long?

i had always heard something about putting a piece of tape on the cd...? never understood it, but i had heard that.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Just wondering, but what are the barcodes and stuff in the center of the CD for? I was looking at an Apple software installation disc and it just says "Recorded in Singapore" while a music CD that I bought (before iTMS of course) had the barcodes and stuff.

--Just wondering...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I've heard the tape/magic marker thing too. I guess people either thought, or it really worked where you could prevent the laser from reading that area of the disc. Might still be true for some types of copy-protected round disc thingies with recorded music files on them. (Can't call them Compact Discs according to Philips.)
  • Reply 9 of 16
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Ok, here's what I heard:

On a "copy-protected" CD (oh wait, they're not CDs) the first track is basically mangled binary garbage. For your average CD player, it just skips over the stuff. However, computers try and read it and volia, have problems. (It even crashes some machines I'm told) The magic marker trick is to black out that first pseudo-track. How you can get that accurate with just a magic marker is still confusing to me.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

How you can get that accurate with just a magic marker is still confusing to me.

i guess you have to do it very carefully
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I buy a lot of music, but I refuse to buy copy protected CDs. I buy a LOT of CDs. A LOT. Ignore the protected ones simply on principle.

a wise decision

OR buy your music through some wellknown fruitshop though.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I discovered that it has a lot to do with the drive in your computer. My PM G4 with a Toshiba 1312 (Combo drive) frequently has trouble reading Copy Protected Discs. The PMG4 at my workplace has a Sony CRX-140 (CD-RW drive) which reads most discs but occasionally gets stumped. My old PM G3 (CD-ROM drive), which I no longer own, had no problems reading anything.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I discovered that it has a lot to do with the drive in your computer. My PM G4 with a Toshiba 1312 (Combo drive) frequently has trouble reading Copy Protected Discs. The PMG4 at my workplace has a Sony CRX-140 (CD-RW drive) which reads most discs but occasionally gets stumped. My old PM G3 (CD-ROM drive), which I no longer own, had no problems reading anything.

Yes indeed, it seems *they* are all working altogether, thoroughly.