iPod swiped

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Taken straight off my desk at work. I come back from lunch and bam, gone.

I guess this should be my lesson to not spend so much money on something that small and swipeable.

But hey, the power cord was in my bag so the joke's on them right!?

Well, my name is on the back, and I hope whoever swiped it has a nice warm feeling every time they see it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That sucks, man. At least you had your music backed up to your comp (I assume).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yes.

I had no iPod-exclusive music.

I don't think I'll be getting a replacement any time soon. I'll probably buy a CD walkman or something (if anything).
  • Reply 3 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Recently I was using my laptop at the office and was always paranoid when heading out to lunch. It was at least attached to an external screen and a few other cables so it was a slight deterrent. But I was worried about my iPod too.

Moral of the story: tuck your mini out of sight so it can be out of mind while you're at lunch.

Either way, it sucks you got yours nabbed. Glad you still have all your music elsewhere. You thought about filing a claim under your home owner's or renter's insurance?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Shitful, absolutely shitful.

Um, can I ask why you felt comfortable leaving it unattended on your desk?

Do you think it's somebody you work with?

Do really think a CD player will cut it?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I think a small device constantly tuned to 90.5FM or 107.1FM ( http://www.kut.org & http://www.kgsr.com ) would suffice. I was perfectly content with a tape then CD walkman. I don't see why that would change. I generally only listened to an album or two on the iPod anyway.

I loved my iPod. I really did. But it did not make itself worth the cost with only 9 months. It would have to be 3-4 years at least to be worth $300.

I felt comfortable leaving it on my desk because I honestly didn't think people would just steal shit like that off people's desks.

There is light student traffic (I work for UT) in the hall outside, but they'd have to come in to the office. My co-workers could have done it but what would be the point when they couldn't use it at work (I would see it)?

I just don't get people. How do you steal something like that?

It's not a big deal, it's just a physical object. That's part of the problem, I guess, I just don't value things like that enough to consider stealing them from someone else.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    You work at University of Texas, with light student traffic. I think that sealed the deal of it getting stolen at some point. That's a lot of "light traffic" of poor, college students that like music.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. 9 months sitting on a desk at a college. Try that at a teachers lounge or anywhere at a HS in the US. I give it 1 day.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    My iPod gets lonely if I don't take her to lunch.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    The iPod is so pervasive in my life it could get stolen every month and I'd still buy another.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    groverat, lets hope this guy / girl who swiped this product, will happen to call to apple care to get support for that product .. hehe. s/he'll get a nice surprise.

btw, tried to email you to send a screenshot of something. check my email address from control panel, and send me an email so i can send u that screenshot
  • Reply 10 of 13
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Get one of those hollowed out book 'safes':

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/KEEBOO.htm
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I was going through some kind of denial stage up above (when dismissing the importance of the iPod).

It really really really sucks a lot not having it.

Angrier now than I was when I first found out it was stolen.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You should at least file a police report. If by some rare chance it turns up you may get it back. In the off chance a coworker took it then you'd have the pleasure of a perp walk out of the office for them.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Already chatted with my UT-PD buddy about it this morning. Good advice, though.