Apple introduces black and red U2 iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, the U2 and Photo edition iPods seem to have landed. Personally, I don't like the red and black one - but that's personal preference I guess. The Photo edition one's nice, though - and in 40gb and 60gb sizes... It's just a pity they don't have more info about it on the apple site - I'd like to see how it connects using this A/V cable - is this a dock-only thing, or does it plug straight into the dock connector?

Also - iTunes 4.7, with photo stuff built in. I suppose they couldn't use iPhoto here without porting it to the PC, but it seems to be dilution of the iTunes music-only approach...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    damn the ipod photo is nice!
  • Reply 2 of 37
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    U2 and Apple partnership fuses art, technology & commerce.

Apple today introduced the iPod U2 Special Edition as part of a partnership between the computer company, U2 and Universal Music Group (UMG) to create innovative new products together for the new digital music era. The new U2 iPod holds up to 5,000 songs and features a black enclosure with a red Click Wheel and custom engraving of U2 band member signatures.

"U2 and Apple have a special relationship where they can start to redefine the music business," said Jimmy Iovine, Chairman of UMG's Interscope Geffen A&M Records. "The iPod along with iTunes is the most complete thought that we've seen in music in a very long time."

"U2 is one of the greatest bands in the world and we are floored to be working with them," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We just want to make some innovative products together, and we hope U2 fans will love having their very own special edition iPod."

The new U2 iPod is being introduced as the band prepares to release their new album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" in late November. In addition to the new U2 iPod, the results of the U2, Apple and UMG partnership include:

U2's single "Vertigo" from their upcoming album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is available exclusively in the US through the iTunes Music Store;

Apple and U2 have created a television ad featuring U2 band members performing their new single "Vertigo." The ad is a cross between Apple's "Silhouette" ads and a music video; and

Apple has created the online music industry's first-of-its-kind "Digital Box Set." The first digital box set, "The Complete U2," will contain over 400 tracks including all of the band's albums and over 25 rare and unreleased tracks. U2 fans will be able to purchase and download The Complete U2 with just one click on the iTunes Music Store in the US and Europe beginning in late November for just $149 (US).

The U2 iPod features Apple's patent pending Click Wheel, up to 12 hours battery life and Shuffle Songs. All iPods work with Apple's iTunes. U2 iPod customers will receive a coupon for $50 off the purchase of "The Complete U2" available exclusively on the iTunes Music Store.

Pricing & Availability

The new 20GB iPod U2 Special Edition is expected to be available mid-November for a suggested retail price of $349 (US) through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The U2 iPod includes earbud headphones, 1.2m 30-pin to FireWire cable, a 1.2m 30-pin to USB cable, and a CD with iTunes 4.7 for Mac and Windows computers. Optional accessories include the iPod Dock for $39 (US) and in-ear headphones for $39 (US).
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

I'd like to see how it connects using this A/V cable - is this a dock-only thing, or does it plug straight into the dock connector?.

here
  • Reply 4 of 37
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I'm intrested in how the Photo Edition integrates the photo import via Belkin's MediaReader. One feature I'd like to see on the iPod PE a direct camera connection.

As for the U2 edition, I just hope that black is not where Apple's hardware is headed colorwise. Will this be a limited edition like the ones with the autographs engraved to the back from a while back?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Colour screen and improved battery life... impressive.

And familiar new games for the peecee crowd \

• Reply 6 of 37
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Where is iphoto for windows? the iPod didnt take off on windows untill the software showed up. sorry adobe, ps alblum is a POS.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

As for the U2 edition, I just hope that black is not where Apple's hardware is headed colorwise. Will this be a limited edition like the ones with the autographs engraved to the back from a while back?

Point me to any other hardware in Apple's lineup that is black! This is a special edition, translation: limited edition, black and red iPod. White is synonomous with the iPod. Especially the white earbuds.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    It looks cool but only available in 20 GB and $50 more than a regular iPod it isn't a very attractive offer.

The $50 off "Complete U2" only serves to offset the extra $50 tacked on to the purchase price.

Is black plastic more expensive than white plastic?
  • Reply 9 of 37
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Apple has created the online music industry's first-of-its-kind "Digital Box Set." The first digital box set, "The Complete U2," will contain over 400 tracks including all of the band's albums and over 25 rare and unreleased tracks. U2 fans will be able to purchase and download The Complete U2 with just one click on the iTunes Music Store in the US and Europe beginning in late November for just $149 (US).

Now that's what i call kewl
  • Reply 10 of 37
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

no but Bono wants his cut for the name
  • Reply 11 of 37
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    4 etched autographs, and it will be worth a fortune in 50 years.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

Point me to any other hardware in Apple's lineup that is black! This is a special edition, translation: limited edition, black and red iPod. White is synonomous with the iPod. Especially the white earbuds.

Black might not be the color of choice for their current line up, but who says it will stay this way forever?

I have heard quite a few people (mostly business oriented PC) saying that they like the size of my 12"-iBook but they would not buy unless it was black.

Personally, I like the current white and aluminum scheme.

Oh, and "special edition" does not necessarily mean "limited edition": The iMac SE was definitely not a limited edition. Although I can see that Apple uses the U2 edition to test how well special interest bundles will sell.

I wonder how's next to get his special edition iPod.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Oh the irony...

When the iMac first came out in colours, the peecee crowd was dissing the use of colour.

Now they won't buy iBooks unless they come in different livery.

http://www.colorwarepc.com and other places will paint the shells if you want.

And the last black Apple HW (not counting mouse/kb) was the Pismo in 2000.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Black and red is the color scheme of U2's new album artwork. I don't know why you'd read more into it than that.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    It looks a bit odd, but the U2 fans who aren't offended by the implications will be pleased, I guess. I'd have to see it in person to know for sure. But it's nice, isn't it, to see Apple this busy this year, especially when some of us thought it'd be a bust. There's the new iMac G5, a broader Power Mac G5 line, AirPort Express and then the new iPod, the U2 version and that sweet photo model. A good way to end the year for Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Black might not be the color of choice for their current line up, but who says it will stay this way forever?

Noone is. Infact Amorph pointed out earlier that Steve Jobs wanted the first G4 powerbooks to be black rather than painted gray titanium. So we might just se black hardware from Apple. But there are no indications of this in their current line-up. This SE iPod derives its colors from the look of the new U2-album. It is highly unlikely that it marks a shift in colourfocus within Apple

Quote:

Oh, and "special edition" does not necessarily mean "limited edition": The iMac SE was definitely not a limited edition. Although I can see that Apple uses the U2 edition to test how well special interest bundles will sell.

No, but in this case I'm willing to bet it does. This could very well mean the beginning of several other special edition-iPods. But they will not look the same. I'm guessing they will then come in colors matching the album-art of the record they're promoting.

P. Diddy poineered this SE iPod thing with his custom-made diamond-encrusted HP-iPod not long ago. Although it didn't say it explicably, that thing had "PIMP" written all over it.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

It looks cool but only available in 20 GB and $50 more than a regular iPod it isn't a very attractive offer.

The $50 off "Complete U2" only serves to offset the extra $50 tacked on to the purchase price.

Why are you complaining about the price? It's meant for U2 fans who are willing to shell out a bit more for the autographs on the back, the poster and the funky color scheme. OF COURSE it's more expensive!
  • Reply 18 of 37
    You kinda get the feeling that Apple aren't going to make the same mistakes with the iPod that they did with the Mac.

Apple iPod is one fire.

Not just padding out with hard drive sizes...

...but iPod Mini, iPod, iPod Photo and a U2 Special Edition.

Showing a discerning product line that carefully adds new features/products as deserved.

...and a breath taking 'lightning in the bottle' savy remarkably missing from from the Mac brand.

I can only assume....

At this rate of going, Apple have a good chance of reaching critical mass...and dominating this market as it reaches tens or even hundreds of millions of players sold each year.

Sony Walkman...will you meet your god?

...and will this mean a dramatic halo effect will kick in for the Mac market when or IF the iPod goes critical mass?

It's got to create remarkable mindshare for the Mac?

Like Apple says of Quicktime? 'Good advertising'. Most of the iPod and Quicktime users are Windows users in all likelihood.

How long before the cool street cred' of iPod sends a surge to iBook, Powerbook or iMac sales? Or even a G5 based eMac. IF Apple could imbue the eMac with cheap sex(!) appeal then...marketshare could uturn.

The iMac Special Edition is alive and well in the U2 iPod which looks drop dead gorgeous. Who said Apple would 'never' do black?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Well, my Flash iPod prediction was wrong... but the U2 iPod is cool.

Reminds me of Swatch in it's heyday... I believe this is the first of many "special edition" iPod's.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Prince might want to sign an exclusive on one of these...

Not sure if you'd get a signature or symbol etched on the back.