unwanted nested label colors

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to remove label colors via the command line...

I have a collection of images that have been labeled with various colors in deeply nested folder and was thinking if I could do recursive command via the command line I could simply remove all the label colors.

tia

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Labels are metadata and kept in the resource fork.

You can't currently access the metadata from the command line (unless you write a program to do so).

Perhaps there is a bit of software on the web that can do this.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, you can to some degree.

cat file.foo/rsrc will get you the resource fork. It's an invisible directory attached to each file with such a fork.

rm file.foo/rsrc will blast away the resource fork completely and indiscriminately. This may or may not be what you want.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Actually, you can to some degree.

cat file.foo/rsrc will get you the resource fork. It's an invisible directory attached to each file with such a fork.

rm file.foo/rsrc will blast away the resource fork completely and indiscriminately. This may or may not be what you want.

I only have separate resource files on AFS emulators.

(.rsrc, ._filename, .AppleDouble...)

From the OS X terminal prompt I can't see the resource fork as per above. Do I need a different shell?

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    rara Posts: 623member
    How about you do this:

Open up the folder that's at the root of all the other folders and images. Press apple-2 to switch to list view. Press apple-a to select everything, then apple-right arrow to open every folder. Keep pressing apple-a followed by apple-right arrow until every folder is open. Then press apple-a one more time, right-click on something, and remove all the labels at once.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

I only have separate resource files on AFS emulators.

(.rsrc, ._filename, .AppleDouble...)

From the OS X terminal prompt I can't see the resource fork as per above. Do I need a different shell?

Dobby.

Nope. Like I said, they're invisible. You won't *ever* see them, but you can access them as I outlined above.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I can't do a cat or rm on the /rsrc. It must be there as you said as I get an Operation not premitted on the rm and the cat doesn't give anything (but it doesn't fail!).

Excellent tidbit of info.

Dobby
  • Reply 7 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You may want to use rmdir

>man rmdir