Mac compatible Router? Route from Mac to PC?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Howdy, I have a iMac G3400 and use a cable modem.

I just bought a HP PC Demo really cheap and I want the PC to be able to use the cable modem that the Mac uses.

I have looked at routers from Linksys, Belkin, and Netgear and none of them mention that they are Mac compatible.

Is there a brand out there i should be looking at? I want to wire them together because they are literally right next to each other.

Can I use a router between a Mac and PC?

Mucho thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Routers from Linksys, Belkin and Netgear will all work with your mac since they connect through a standard method. It's very rare that you find a router that is platform specific.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Routers from Linksys, Belkin and Netgear will all work with your mac since they connect through a standard method. It's very rare that you find a router that is platform specific.

What about the software that needs to be installed?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Linksys=very PC biased

Netgear=Very good Mac support (it's done through a browser window, so it's equal on Mac, Linux, and Windows), very nice design, very reliable. I use a wireless G router from them, and I routinely get a ping of below 40 online.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Linksys=very PC biased

Netgear=Very good Mac support (it's done through a browser window, so it's equal on Mac, Linux, and Windows), very nice design, very reliable. I use a wireless G router from them, and I routinely get a ping of below 40 online.

Thanks for the info. I just wonder that the box says to install the software that comes with it and they dont mention whether it works with Mac, it only mentions windows.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Virtually all routers are managed through a browser window. Certainly the netgear routers are.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Virtually all routers are managed through a browser window. Certainly the netgear routers are.

OK, thanks. I will just buy one at staples, the worst that can happen is that it doesnt work and I return it.

I also want to try something . My iMac doesnt have a CD burner, but the PC does. Can I send my picture folders to the PC and burn them onto a CD that will be able to be read by the Mac?

I know the PC wont open the pics I saved to the Mac because I already tried, but maybe the PC can burn those files without a problem.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

OK, thanks. I will just buy one at staples, the worst that can happen is that it doesnt work and I return it.

I also want to try something . My iMac doesnt have a CD burner, but the PC does. Can I send my picture folders to the PC and burn them onto a CD that will be able to be read by the Mac?

I know the PC wont open the pics I saved to the Mac because I already tried, but maybe the PC can burn those files without a problem.

Yes, that should work.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Yes, that should work.

Cool. Now I dont have to buy an external cd burner for the iMac.

I bought the HP because it was a demo where I worked and the price was ridiculous. It has an 2.2gig athlon, 160 gb hard drive, dvd burner with an extra cd rom, 512Mb RAM, slots for digital camera cards, TV-out, usb 2.0 and firewire ports.

I got it for $230 and there is a $50 rebate on it!

So, now I got both a Mac and PC.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I got it for $230 and there is a $50 rebate on it!

So, now I got both a Mac and PC.

Wow, nice. If I saw that, I'd buy it, to run UnrealEd.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Wow, nice. If I saw that, I'd buy it, to run UnrealEd.

I mainly bought it to play around with. i actually do some in-home tech work on PCs so i figured it would be a good idea to get to know the OS better and see how it interacts with a Mac. That, and for the CD burner. I dont think Ill use the DVD burner too much.

I could also sell it on ebay if I wanted to. I bet Id get more than I paid for it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Steve,

I recently purchased a Belkin Router from CompUSA for $15 (there was an instant rebate and a mail-in rebate). At Belkin's site it says it supports OS X but on the box it doesn't mention Macs at all. There wasn't any kind of set up software for the Mac (like there was for Windows) but the manual shows you how to configure it using a Mac and it was a breeze. I'm guessing that many router companies are like this.

I am have both Windows and Macs using the router with no problems.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

Steve,

I recently purchased a Belkin Router from CompUSA for $15 (there was an instant rebate and a mail-in rebate). At Belkin's site it says it supports OS X but on the box it doesn't mention Macs at all. There wasn't any kind of set up software for the Mac (like there was for Windows) but the manual shows you how to configure it using a Mac and it was a breeze. I'm guessing that many router companies are like this.

I am have both Windows and Macs using the router with no problems.

Thanks. I decided to get a netgear router since I heard a few good things about them.

That $15 Belkin deal is tempting though!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    My home network:

Internet ---> eth0 - Gentoo Linux Box as router/firewall/proxy/file server - eth1 ---> HUB -----> PCs and MACs

The Linux server is running Gentoo 2000 build. It has DHCP running aswell as DNS server on it, for routing it uses iptables with a really nice firewall script I found. Honestly after having used a Linux server as a firewall I will never go back to using a hardware firewall.

PS.

Linux Box is 233mhz Compac P1 w/ mmx