Really Impressed

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yesterday I decided to do my Yuppie bit and visited the Bellevue Square Shopping Center. While there I dropped by the Apple Store. Both the 17? and 20? G5 iMacs were on display. This was the first time I had seen them and I was impressed by the screen quality. IMO, if you?re an AIO fan and can live with the video card and lack of native monitor spanning, these would be great machines.

What really blew me away, though, was the 30" display that was hooked to a dual 2.5. That is one gorgeous monster! The Apple Store person I was talking to was so enthusiastic about the setup that she couldn?t wait to pull the cover and show off the 6800 card. Pictures don?t really convey how big that card actually is.

One thing I noticed while playing with the G5/30incher was how lame Apple?s one button mouse is. For screen real estate that size, a programmable mouse with a scroll wheel is a necessity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think the reason Apple keeps the one button mouse is strictly to give 3rd party manufacturers additional revenue, and it keeps their costs down.

Plus - third parties will always come out with a better mouse 4 weeks after you release yours, and there are so many options available for mice it's not even funny.

Where would Apple start if they decided to get into the mouse game? You need a whole dedicated company for R&D with the hundreds of available mice features that are out there to stay on top of it. All, and all it's a loosing war for Apple, because they can keep costs down while shipping a simple mouse rather than charging a fortune for what it would cost them to pay an entire team - department/company to develop anything more than what they offer.

I use a WACOM 5 Button that came with my 12x12 intuos2, but before that I had a kensington heat sensitive touch scroll 4=3 button mouse that I liked a lot, and still plug in from time to time.

For what it's worth you'll always be able to find a mouse that better fits your individual needs no matter what Apple offered.

As for myself all I really need is a 3 button, scroll wheel (my wacom mouse), and a second mouse with a jog wheel, besides my wacom tablet - the, pen, and airbrush. (Is that a lot?)

Either way I think Apples reasoning is fairly sound in just offering the one button mouse for 1st time computer users, surfers, and email checkers.

Because most creative professionals (Majority of Mac Users I think) usually need to tailor their peripherals to meet their needs. I know I would have. So shipping my Mac with the minimal mouse was a great time saver for me, and it probably saved me a few extra bucks.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    We need a sticky!

The one-button mouse has less to do with users than it does with developers.

Developers are a lazy lot. I know, I am one. Apple can tell developers all year long "Make every feature of your application discoverable with a left-click, right-click is for convenience shortcuts only", and there will still be devs who will say "Oh well, this neat new feature isn't used by that many folks, I'll just stick in the contextual menu..." Bzzzt.

BUT... make it so that developers *CANNOT* assume the user has that right-click, and voila... they *HAVE* to adhere to the guidelines.

Mice are cheap. Consistency of UI is priceless.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    I went to the UVillage store, saw the 30" and almost crapped my pants.

You have to see it in person to truly understand how HUGE it is.

Honestly, it's TOO big for me.

I'd have to roll back and forth in my chair to look at stuff on opposite ends.

Still - beautiful.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

Still - beautiful.

Yea, my 20" iMac takes up my entire field of vision when I work at it. Everything else just melts away except for the screen ...

I love it!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Oh...I'm sure I could manage somehow.

Actually what would be interesting, is that because you only see sharply at what you're directly looking at, is a huge monitor where the periphery is fuzzy, but a 20" section in the center has regular resolution. Of course, you'd have to get used to moving detail work into the center...autocentering expose perhaps?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

Oh...I'm sure I could manage somehow.

The thing that blows me away are people hooking up dual 30" monitors to their dual G5s. Talk about geek orgasm!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Talk about geek orgasm!

That would be a multiple orgasm.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think the reason Apple keeps the one button mouse is strictly to give 3rd party manufacturers additional revenue, and it keeps their costs down.

Plus - third parties will always come out with a better mouse 4 weeks after you release yours, and there are so many options available for mice it's not even funny.

Where would Apple start if they decided to get into the mouse game? You need a whole dedicated company for R&D with the hundreds of available mice features that are out there to stay on top of it. All, and all it's a loosing war for Apple, because they can keep costs down while shipping a simple mouse rather than charging a fortune for what it would cost them to pay an entire team - department/company to develop anything more than what they offer.

I use a WACOM 5 Button that came with my 12x12 intuos2, but before that I had a kensington heat sensitive touch scroll 4=3 button mouse that I liked a lot, and still plug in from time to time.

For what it's worth you'll always be able to find a mouse that better fits your individual needs no matter what Apple offered.

As for myself all I really need is a 3 button, scroll wheel (my wacom mouse), and a second mouse with a jog wheel, besides my wacom tablet - the, pen, and airbrush. (Is that a lot?)

Either way I think Apples reasoning is fairly sound in just offering the one button mouse for 1st time computer users, surfers, and email checkers.

Because most creative professionals (Majority of Mac Users I think) usually need to tailor their peripherals to meet their needs. I know I would have. So shipping my Mac with the minimal mouse was a great time saver for me, and it probably saved me a few extra bucks.

That's making it much more complicated than necessary. Apple doesn't need to have the best mouse. It just needs to work as well as their current one does. No need to reinvent the wheel (no pun intended).
  • Reply 9 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

That would be a multiple orgasm.

It's a fake orgasm, though, since you can only drive a single screen during gaming.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

It's a fake orgasm, though, since you can only drive a single screen during gaming.

Maybe you can daisy chain them together? It worked for me once.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

That's making it much more complicated than necessary. Apple doesn't need to have the best mouse. It just needs to work as well as their current one does. No need to reinvent the wheel (no pun intended).

THen what are you asking for, and why don't you just buy a perfectly good mouse that is practically tailored to your needs from a 3rd party?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

nope.

It is a simple thing, they do not want developers to rely on context menus. with a one button default, it forces every developers to stay in the lines of the apple ui standards.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Still - beautiful.

That's only a problem if your feet don't reach the floor!

Marc
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Still - beautiful.

Cinder ... My 30" is at my reseller waiting for the 6800 before I pick it up. Do you think I should get a box of Depends first?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Heck, I love the 20" display, I can't even imagine how nice the 30" display would be.

One interesting thing regarding the new iMac, saw a 17" model at a local store the other day. Initially I thought that the bezel design was pretty ugly and very glaring, but the interesting thing is that once you start actually using the iMac, you focus entirely on the screen, and pretty much stop noticing the rest of the box.