TV-be-ON !

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Rogers cable came to fvck-up my household TV setup today. I have a cable modem with them, and basic cable. Having a new big screen, I though, maybe it was time for a digital cable box.

So, before the tech shows up, I disconnect all my other TV's from the splitter I keep down-stream of the cable modem splitter. If Rogers thinks that I'm paying for every set in the house they can go suck off a siphilitic monkey.

Tech leaves and I try to recconnect the main set through the second splitter. Digital box won't pick up any channels, but the other sets will work.

So now, I can't have digital cable on the main set, and regular cable on my other sets. A normal splitter won't work, as I assume the "modem" splitter has a filter of some sort on it. I could connect the main set, and the analogue sets, but then no internet, or I can have internet and analogues sets, or internet and the digital set, but not all three.

So where do I get a splitter with the right filters on it and more than one cable connection?

At least three, one for the modem, on for the main set, and one for the Analogue sets, I can then split that further, since the analogue sets are not sensitive to line noise/feedback in the same way.

Fvcking cable company. errrr...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Huh? You have a splitter to the modem that makes the TVs work? Why not put your birds nest of splitters after that along with the modem?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Something doesn't sound right. Or perhaps I'm confused. Either way, here are my experiences with Comcast. I have digital cable and a cable modem.

Firstly, the coax cable coming out of my digital cable box does not pass through the signal. It only outputs a signal on channel 3 that you can tune in to like old VCRs and Nintendos. There should also be RCA or S-Video jacks which carry the same signal.

If you place a splitter on the digital cable box's coax out, all you could see is the channel that is selected on that cable box (by tuning to channel 3 on the TV). When the cable box is off, it doesn't pass through the original signal.

I rarely use my digital cable box. Only when tuning to digital channels. I use my TV's tuners to watch standard cable channels.

How you ask? I have a 3-way coax splitter before the cable box. I then run an unfiltered* line to the TV, cable box, and my cable modem. When I want to watch a digital channel, I just switch inputs on my TV.

At this point I re-read your post and its clearer to me what you're doing.

Why don't you just add another splitter upstream from the first one, and send that original signal to all the other TVs? If you can mix and match any combination of Main TV, other TVs, and cable modem, you should be able to add a splitter somewhere and drive everything.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    When I first got the Cable modem installed -- as part of a FREE pilot project, had about a year and a half of free service -- the tech came in and put a different sort of splitter on the line.

It had three prongs: in, out, and tap. "In" brough the line from the street to my basement. "out" was connected to the cable modem line, and "tap" to the TV.

Re-arranging the out & tap prongs still let the TV's work fine, but not the cable modem.

If I put my 1 into 4 splitter upstream, connected my TV's to three of the prongs and then put the tap splitter back on downstream, the cable modem wouldn't work.

The cable modem will only work if it's connected to this splitter connected straight to the exterior line. The solution at that time was to plug the 1 into 4 splitter into the "tap" on the modem splitter. Voila, it all worked -- cable modem and TV sets, no problem.

But this set up doesn't work with the digital cable box! It too seems to need a cleaner signal, though, interestingly, it's run out of the same tap -- cable guy didn't change that splitter.

That makes me think that the digital cable box needs a stronger signal than what comes out of a splitter running off an already split signal.

I need a splitter with an out for the cable modem, and more than one "tap" so that the digital box, the analogue sets, AND the cable modem will all work.

make sense?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Radio Shack might have what you're looking for. Maybe. Tell them you need a an active line splitter or something like that.