Apple introduces iPod Photo

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    What's with all the people saying they want more? This is certainly a major step for the iPod, and I for one love it (other than the price that is). So who is actaully going to drop $600 dollars for this? As much as I like the fact of 60 gigs, all my photos in my pocket, and album art showing up on my iPod(which I particularly like because although it may seem small, I have almost all the artwork for my 5000 songs and this is certainly a cool feature). I must say that I'm prolly going to wait till I fill my 40Gb 3G before i shell out $600 dollars for this. But for those that do, tell us all about it. Also, I was wondering for someone that gets the 60Gb, how much is it after formatting because my 40gbs is roughly 37gbs after formatting?
  • Reply 82 of 137
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by osXuser

Ohhh, alright. Here's one. Sorry about the lighting. It was just a quick shot.

iPod photo

The screen looks quite nice even in your quick picture.
  • Reply 83 of 137

More pics! More pics! More pics!

What does the screen look like when the backlight is off? It must be a transflective display, right?
  • Reply 84 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

The screen looks quite nice even in your quick picture.

Thanks. I've got another one that shows the album art by itself (one of the screens to which you can toggle with the select button):

Another image
  • Reply 85 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

More pics! More pics! More pics!

What does the screen look like when the backlight is off? It must be a transflective display, right?

Well, I should first say that the screen looks fantastic when the backlight is on. When it is off, it's considerably darker, but it's not a fair comparison as I haven't had a chance to use it outside in natural light or using good, bright indoor light.

Also, any moiré distortion you see in my images is likely an artifact of the camera ccd and iPod screen resolution...it really does look great to the eye.

I posted another pic, btw. If I have time tomorrow, I might try to take some better ones, although my image hosting account will probably run out of bandwidth soon.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    You know I was thinking.

A lot of people say that the iPod should of had video abilities. Well, here's my take on this.

When the iPod was first released, digital music (MP3's and such) were taking off. Sure they had been around for awhile, but they were becoming popular and people were using their computers more and more for storing, managing, and playing their music. So digital music players were becoming the norm and being accepted more by consumers.

Now digital photos are really taking off. Digital cameras are getting cheaper and are being used more for taking pictures. Even places that develop film for cameras are also supporting digital cameras by printing out the photos off of media cards. Consumers are adopting digital cameras more and are becoming more comfortable using their computers to store, manage, and view their digital photos (see a trend here). Apple sees this and are expanding the functionality of the iPod to support it.

Now let's talk about movies and the iPod.

While there is a demand for it, it isn't a huge demand. Consumers aren't as comfortable with digital movie content on their computer or portable media device. Many don't even know where to go to obtain let alone get it on their computer. right now as they are for digital music or photos. So why create a video iPod when the majority aren't ready for it?

I mean, don't worry. Soon video on computers will go the same way as music and photos. It's the next step. But the average customer isn't ready for it. There has to be more places to download movies and video content. Right now, the average consumer would only have the need to put their home videos they create from their computer onto the video iPod. But consumers are still used to just plugging their camcorder into the television and watching it off of that.

So the video iPod is coming, but Apple is in a very special place in the market. If they change too much and move too fast tacking on tons of features, they might confuse their customers and possibly even lose some.

The best bet is to slowly expand the functionality of the iPod and then optimize the new features so they work extremely well. Then get the customers used to the features.

I'm also sure that this iPod Photo is a testing ground for the iPod Video. Apple is probably going to be watching how customers respond the interface and the ability to hook it up to the television. Apple probably will tweak the iPod Photo so that it does its job well as to make room for the possibility of using the same system and interface for video. By then customers will be used to the new iPod Photo interface and be ready for the iPod Video interface.

Mike
  • Reply 87 of 137
    the next convergence step.

when the isight came out i immediately thought of the ipod.

attach the isight to your ipod and you have still camera.

click on video mode and it can take video.

with the new codecs and compressions storage is no longer an issue.

camera phones can do it both with crappy hardware limited space

and a tiny battery so the convergence of the isight and ipod

would be a no brainer.

it would also have a mic.

you can have the isight rotate so it can rest like an itrip.

this would boost the sales of ipod photo's/video as well make the isight the

next must hardware excessories. all the pieces are already in place and

would not be surprised if this was already apple's plan when they introed the sight.

it seemed odd to me that they came out with the isight just for video conferencing when there were plenty of options on the market already.

this convergence would make the r&d expense spent on the isight make more sense.

chung lee
  • Reply 88 of 137
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    how about...

keynote 2.0 syncs with the ipod photo. i keep my presentations on my ipod photo and then hook it up to a projector when i am on the road. no need to take my laptop to presentations
  • Reply 89 of 137
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

how about...

keynote 2.0 syncs with the ipod photo. i keep my presentations on my ipod photo and then hook it up to a projector when i am on the road. no need to take my laptop to presentations

Keynote 2.0? Are you insane, keynote is eol! END OF LIFE. Why is Apple talking about how great Office 2004 is - because it needs M$. Apple will release a new keynote when there is no office.

Video will not take off like CDs and Pictures, it['s not going to happen you can't store movies on your computer, and why would you want to?
  • Reply 90 of 137
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Keynote 2.0? Are you insane, keynote is eol! END OF LIFE. Why is Apple talking about how great Office 2004 is - because it needs M$. Apple will release a new keynote when there is no office.

you are talking out of your a**e
  • Reply 91 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

you are talking out of your a**e

Maybe eol is a bit harsh! Apple have had keynote for how long now? They've released new apps since the launch and updates for them, yet keynote still remains not updated - part from a minor stability update. Apple have done a deal with M$ and part of the deal was that Apple would support Office and Apple would stop AppleWorks development, or something (read previous threads)! I don't see Apple trying to piss of M$ because switchers need a familiar package, the most important questions for new users is can i get office?

Keynote is also lacking serious features, like timings and links to slides and stability. It is also anti-intuitive. These are reasons for an upgrade but i don't see it happening. Anyway this is an iPod discussion so I'll shut up now.

(I'm so negative cos I've been waiting for an upgrade for so long and just feel it's not going to happen - ( i hope you're right)
  • Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:

(I'm so negative cos I've been waiting for an upgrade for so long and just feel it's not going to happen - ( i hope you're right)

It appears Steve Jobs was using a prerelease version of Keynote 2.0 during his iPod presentation.
  • Reply 93 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

It appears Steve Jobs was using a prerelease version of Keynote 2.0 during his iPod presentation.

Does this mean there will be an upgrade? He used the program for years before keynote actually came out. Could this be for Steve only? And how come his is so stable?
  • Reply 94 of 137
    Quote:

Maybe eol is a bit harsh! Apple have had keynote for how long now? They've released new apps since the launch and updates for them, yet keynote still remains not updated - part from a minor stability update. Apple have done a deal with M$ and part of the deal was that Apple would support Office and Apple would stop AppleWorks development, or something (read previous threads)! I don't see Apple trying to piss of M$ because switchers need a familiar package, the most important questions for new users is can i get office?

Keynote is also lacking serious features, like timings and links to slides and stability. It is also anti-intuitive. These are reasons for an upgrade but i don't see it happening. Anyway this is an iPod discussion so I'll shut up now.

Err... I think it's actually the other way around... bacts fackwards.

MS settlements with Apple are due to expire soon

Apple is more likely to target Office with forthcoming apps.

Keynote 2 is definitely in the pipeline and will continue to toast PP for quality.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Err... I think it's actually the other way around... bacts fackwards.

MS settlements with Apple are due to expire soon

Apple is more likely to target Office with forthcoming apps.

Keynote 2 is definitely in the pipeline and will continue to toast PP for quality.

Maybe but switchers want Office compatibility, that's all I'm saying. PP may be beaten by Keynote when it comes to graphics handling, but by sure ease of use and functionality, and i hate to say this, i think PP wins. I tired keynote at the weekend for the first time. I found it really difficult to get to grips with, it wasn't as intuitive as Apple's other programs, that inspector actually is more annoying than a long toolbar, too many clicks required for basic things.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    Quote:

Video will not take off like CDs and Pictures, it['s not going to happen you can't store movies on your computer, and why would you want to?

You can't? I can and do. For instance, it is very easy to rip onto my iBook G3 dvd movies that I own. Why would I do this? Well, when taking a flight somewhere, my trust 12'' is my movie watching station? Why not bring along the dvds instead? Well, my batteries tend to last about twice as long when playing a movie off of the hd rather than having to spin the dvd disk. So, instead of only being able to watch one movie, I can watch two. I like that.

There are also a host of other, not so legal reasons that people like to store movies on their computer, but those reasons obviously shouldn't be sanctioned by Apple. Well, at least not any more than the extent that the iPod sanctioned pirating music (which I believe is not at all, but some people argue otherwise).
  • Reply 97 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by jnrjr79

You can't? I can and do. For instance, it is very easy to rip onto my iBook G3 dvd movies that I own. Why would I do this? Well, when taking a flight somewhere, my trust 12'' is my movie watching station? Why not bring along the dvds instead? Well, my batteries tend to last about twice as long when playing a movie off of the hd rather than having to spin the dvd disk. So, instead of only being able to watch one movie, I can watch two. I like that.

There are also a host of other, not so legal reasons that people like to store movies on their computer, but those reasons obviously shouldn't be sanctioned by Apple. Well, at least not any more than the extent that the iPod sanctioned pirating music (which I believe is not at all, but some people argue otherwise).

legally you cannot copy DVDs to your hard drive. That is what I meant, Apple would not get away with it, Jobs does not want a video Pod, he said so for a number of reasons.

1) Too much competition - video stores, movies, rentals, lots of places to get a movie

2) u will watch ur favourite movie only a few time in your life

3) watching a movie on that screen would be absolutely pointless (and painful!)

4) even when the capacity goes up who's going to want to store their entire DVD collection on their computer? People don;t just decide, oh lets watch a clip from Clockwork Orange, they do decide to listen to a Day in the Life by the Beatles spontaneously, for example.

there are other reasons but hey i wont list them
  • Reply 98 of 137
    Quote:

legally you cannot copy DVDs to your hard drive. That is what I meant, Apple would not get away with it, Jobs does not want a video Pod, he said so for a number of reasons.

1) Too much competition - video stores, movies, rentals, lots of places to get a movie

2) u will watch ur favourite movie only a few time in your life

3) watching a movie on that screen would be absolutely pointless (and painful!)

4) even when the capacity goes up who's going to want to store their entire DVD collection on their computer? People don;t just decide, oh lets watch a clip from Clockwork Orange, they do decide to listen to a Day in the Life by the Beatles spontaneously, for example.

there are other reasons but hey i wont list them

Holy topsy turvy reality Batman!

Plenty of examples of how wrong these points are.

1. competition isn't an issue...

music stores (brick and mortar) don't deter iPod, they offer more sources to fill it

video will follow the same pattern.

Jobs may have been referring to the market for an iTVS, but purely from a market growth standpoint, the more data people fill iPods with, the more demand grows for the (premium) top capacity model, ergo more profit.

2. so all those idiots who buy vhs and dvd copies for their library are fools and not a market?

3. dude, nobody is seriously suggesting most people will watch films on a 2 inch iPod LCD, they're appreciating the fact that you can take your iPod to any TV or projector with rca cables and jack in your portable collection of clips.

4. there are plenty of clips that people like to watch and show rather than the whole movie. I'm not going to sit through Attack of the Clones again, but I might watch fight scenes. Ditto the Matrix trilogy or comedy routines or car chases extracted from otherwise long-ass films. I could watch Monty Python all day, but just a few select moments from Life of Brian or Holy Grail might be enough.

It strikes me you're expressing contrary or outlandish positions purely for trolling sake.

(If you're just trying to paraphrase Steve, I apologize for misconstruing the origin)

Legality arguments can be countered by contrasting IP rights and Apple's warning sticker "Don't Steal Music". Their legal obligation is partially served by such an up front position/reminder, but if the user legally owns an audio or video performance on one digital medium, it is permissible in most jurisdictions to back up that performance for personal use, whether to timeshift or enable alternate playback.

The UK might have different rules, but copying for personal or archival use, provided it is for non-commercial purposes of the owner, is not considered legally actionable here in Canada or in most US jurisdictions, to my knowledge.

And since some of the above might seem cranky and I don't want to give a bad impression, here's some hilarity somebody posted at AN riffing on iPod and Ashlee.

http://www.airbagindustries.com/bucket/ipod/
  • Reply 99 of 137
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    My thoughts:

-You shouldn't have to buy Photo variant of the iPod to get a 60GB hard drive. There are plenty of people who are exceeding their 40GB iPods' capacity, and don't want to drop an extra $100 for a color screen that doesn't improve the listening experience.

-$100 is a lot to pay for a color screen. Seriously, it should've been $50 more, it would have been much more compelling.

-Although I agree that watching DVDs on your iPod is stupid, I think that they should have still included a Quicktime Player function in the iPod, for... you guessed it.... Music Videos! That would've been a hit.

-There's no iTunes-style visualizer. That would have sold it for me.

I'm serious about the music videos part. That would've been very successful. There's no need for watching DVDs on the 'pod, but being able to play short quicktime clips would have been nice, at least.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    god, i want an iPP so bad... my old school 5 GB first-gen is packed, and i seriously need to upgrade. i was originally thinking of just going for the 20 GB, but i've been waiting for the color-screen forever, and now that its here, its better than i ever could have imagined. the problem is, i'm in HIGH SCHOOL. which sucks, cuz that means NO MONEY. soon i'll be at college, and that'll mean EVEN LESS MONEY, so i'm stuck. the U2 ipod looks absolutely awesome, but i dunno if i can go for the regular screen knowing there's color out there... such a dilemma... *cries* i wish i had 500 dollars laying around... the problem is i need a new comp too... so much to buy, so little to buy it with...