apple encodes their stream in 3ivx?

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I thought they encoded everything in MPEG-4 ISO??

I downloaded the source file of the 300kbs iPod Photo presentation and did an Apple+i and saw this. Is this right or is quicktime wonky???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Their stream is MPEG-4 video... I think Eugene posted a link to the one he had, which also lists MPEG-4 video, not 3ivx.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If you have an app on your computer that natively supports 3ivx, Quicktime will list it as being that format, even though it's just an incarnation of QT.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I downloaded the source file of the 300kbs iPod Photo presentation and did an Apple+i and saw this. Is this right or is quicktime wonky???

No, 3ivx is a QuickTime codec, not a media format. This codec is advertised as a superior DivX video codec as well as a superior standard MPEG-4 codec. If you have the 3ivx codec installed, it grabs control of standard MPEG-4 content.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    A little elaboration because this can be confusing...

When installed, 3ivx handles the playback of formats which would otherwise be played back by quicktime or unplayable altogether.

The info screen is a bit misleading because the format isn't 3ivx. However, it will be played back by the 3ivx component which you installed on top of quicktime.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's actually quite annoying since Apple's SP MPEG-4 decoder does a better job than 3ivx, IMO. There used to be a huge issue with using 3ivx decoder on streaming MPEG-4 content such Apple's.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Please teach us how to download such a streaming as a media file on the hard drive!

Often I would have liked to do just that...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It's actually quite annoying since Apple's SP MPEG-4 decoder does a better job than 3ivx, IMO. There used to be a huge issue with using 3ivx decoder on streaming MPEG-4 content such Apple's.

This explains a lot! For a while my Apple streams have been riddled with problems. Back in the day, however, they were flawless with the same hardware. I installed 3ivx somewhat recently and it could easily explain the problems I've had.

Is there a way for me to keep 3ivx installed, but tell quicktime to use the built-in Apple decoder?