Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just picked up the new GTA game yesterday. Looks & plays great! The only

thing that seems worse is the hud display. For example on Vice city when

you did the ambulance missions, the injured people were easily recognizable

on the hud by bright violet circles. In San Andreas they are little greenish

triangles that blend in to the map.

I mentioned that to a guy at work who also has the game & he said that it

bugs him too. Has anyone else had that problem?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    Glad you're enjoying the game. GTA:SA is definitely one of the AAA titles being released this year. Personally I always found the GTA series to be amusing but never captivating enough to draw me in for long periods of game-play.

What I am waiting for is Halo 2. Bungie rocks.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I just got GTA: SA today. I've been playing the missions, mostly.

The map is a little funky, especially lighter colored blips.

Aside from that, though it's really lived up to my (very high) expectations.

The Boyz in da Hood vibe, killer eclectic soundtrack and tweaked gun targeting system are all perfect. Not to mention climbing walls and SWIMMING! Working out, eating and improving skills as you go along are cool, too.

I like the fact you can customize CJ almost right away-makes him seem more "my character." As much as a gangsta from LA can to a small town guy from Iowa, anyway.

I watched a GTA special on X-Play (Morgan=drool) the other night. They had played for 10 hours and were still on the first city. Rockstar's claiming the biggest surface area of any game ever-it looks that way to me!

Overall first impression-Enough additions to keep a guy who played III and Vice City to death interested, while keeping the addictive free-from gameplay intact.

J
  • Reply 3 of 59
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I was playing last night & found, "The Pimp" missions. There is this 50's style

convertable that has the pimp missions. You pick up a hooker & drop her

off to a john & then pick her up later to collect the money & drop her off

somewhere else. When you complete the missions your prize is that when

you pick up a girl for yourself, she pays you for sex.

Another cool thing I did was race in the stadium. It was a nascar style race

except that it was a figure 8 course & that there were 12 laps. When I beat

it I found the racecar & a monster truck sitting out in the parking lot as the

prize for getting 1st place.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these:

There are oysters in the water that you can dive for. I've gotten 1 of 50.

Also, there are 100 spots where you spray paint your gang signs over other

gangs sprayings. I've got 30 of those found.

Does anyone know what if any kind of bonuses you would get for finding

these? In Vice City they had 100 idols scattered around. When you collected

a certain amount something would be added to your hideout,

(flamethrower, bullet-proof vest, etc.)
  • Reply 4 of 59
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I assumed the tagging with spray paint does the same thing as the old "hidden packages." But if you have 30 and nothing happened...

I didn't know about the oysters, that sounds fun! Swimming is such a great addition.

I've got a "Pimp car" saved in my garage, customized with green (Grove Street) paint, dollar sign rims, and nitrous!

Have you been to any dance clubs? You do a Dance Dance Revolution style mini-game. I don't know what the rewards are, but it's addictive.

I'm up to the "Wrong side of the tracks" mission (I've done all the Ryder ones.) Has anyone done this one? I'm having trouble. Fun trouble, though, not frustrating trouble.

Also, is anyone doing house breaking? I haven't tried it yet, but I think you take a UPS style truck, then creep around certain houses at night taking stuff.

There's just too much to do in this game! Stupid non-digitized real life!

J
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

I assumed the tagging with spray paint does the same thing as the old "hidden packages." But if you have 30 and nothing happened...

I didn't know about the oysters, that sounds fun! Swimming is such a great addition.

I've got a "Pimp car" saved in my garage, customized with green (Grove Street) paint, dollar sign rims, and nitrous!

Have you been to any dance clubs? You do a Dance Dance Revolution style mini-game. I don't know what the rewards are, but it's addictive.

I'm up to the "Wrong side of the tracks" mission (I've done all the Ryder ones.) Has anyone done this one? I'm having trouble. Fun trouble, though, not frustrating trouble.

Also, is anyone doing house breaking? I haven't tried it yet, but I think you take a UPS style truck, then creep around certain houses at night taking stuff.

There's just too much to do in this game! Stupid non-digitized real life!

J

The parapa-style dance club games are pretty fun. The truck to do the

breaking & entering missions is across the street from the gym. When

you beat the mission you get a lot of cash. I also found an area that was

easy to do the mission. Drive your van to the street were you can trick

out your ride. There are four houses that you can enter in that street to

rob. If there are people inside, just quickly leave & then go back in. They

will be gone. You can can rotate between the four houses because the

electronics show up again. When the timer is up you just go a block down

to the garage to unload your ill-gotten games. I swiped 20. I read

about this one guy that claimed to get 43 but he could have been full of it.

• Reply 6 of 59
    I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but one of my friends said that the point at which he stole a learjet, and then got shot down by the police was a crowning moment in his videogame experience.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    it was my birthday a few days ago so I decided to hurt my bank account and buy SA for a whopping 78usd (ouch...). Damn impulse buying.

I played a few hours last night.

My first impression is that it seems less "fun" than Vice City. Maybe its just habit.

In VC I felt more free to do stuff when you took a car, rampaged around, etc. All the blocks and tons of homes make SA feel quite claustrophobic.

Regarding clothing... I got a green tshirt, camo pants, a cowboy hat and a zorro-esque black mask on. Looks funky as hell, but it might explain why my "sex appeal" has tanked
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Regarding clothing... I got a green tshirt, camo pants, a cowboy hat and a zorro-esque black mask on. Looks funky as hell, but it might explain why my "sex appeal" has tanked

Does anyone know what the benefit is to getting your sex appeal stat up?

I know that you can up it with the kind of ride you have or the clothes you

wear, hairstyle & etc.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

wear, hairstyle & etc.

Hotter girls might show up? Anyhow, I am stuck on the dancing thing. How many more mission intill I unlock San Fiero?
  • Reply 10 of 59
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

In VC I felt more free to do stuff when you took a car, rampaged around, etc.

What do you mean? How is it different?
  • Reply 11 of 59
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

What do you mean? How is it different?

I find it to be just as open, if not more. It's a blast, if you like the previous games. This time, because of the added detail to the game, I've started out walking and biking instead of driving. It's adding a completely new element to the game.

It's really fascinating.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    as I said, maybe its just that Im used to the buildings and 'hoods of VC. I have to get used to SA.

Also, for the time being, aside from Radio-X, the other radio station music is so-so. The radio ads are as crazy as ever though
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

as I said, maybe its just that Im used to the buildings and 'hoods of VC. I have to get used to SA.

Also, for the time being, aside from Radio-X, the other radio station music is so-so. The radio ads are as crazy as ever though

It took me about a month to get the layout of Vice City down so I didn't need

to refer to the map screen constantly but this game is just so friggin' huge that

it would probably take me 3 months or more of consistant playing to get the

roads memorized.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

wear, hairstyle & etc.

Maybe pimping opens as a profession?
  • Reply 15 of 59
    I was playing last night & found out that I can start a gang war to acquire

a rival gang's turf.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    aha... I thought there was a limited amount of gang members per side and that I'd eventually kill 'em all to get their territory then spray away their tags. Hmm, I guess I should diversify from just running over 5 rival gang members at a time... reversing... and then running em over again Its currently my specialty.

And dang, those pimp sessions get tough!!! damn clients are on other side of the friggen world!!!
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

aha... I thought there was a limited amount of gang members per side and that I'd eventually kill 'em all to get their territory then spray away their tags. Hmm, I guess I should diversify from just running over 5 rival gang members at a time... reversing... and then running em over again Its currently my specialty.

And dang, those pimp sessions get tough!!! damn clients are on other side of the friggen world!!!

When you start a gang war I found it helpful to keep my back against a

building so I couldn't get shot up from behind. Also after each wave there is

a heart & bulletproof vest lying around to heal yourself. There are three waves

of gangbangers that show up & it's helpful to check the map to see where they

are coming from. And a sweet byproduct of this is that you upgrade your

weapon stats pretty quick. When you reach hitman status with the weapon

that you use a lot, it upgrades. I can now wield two sawed-off shotguns. I can

also lock-on to enemies with a machine gun & walk at the same time.

• Reply 18 of 59
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

When you start a gang war I found it helpful to keep my back against a

building so I couldn't get shot up from behind. Also after each wave there is

a heart & bulletproof vest lying around to heal yourself. There are three waves

of gangbangers that show up & it's helpful to check the map to see where they

are coming from. And a sweet byproduct of this is that you upgrade your

weapon stats pretty quick. When you reach hitman status with the weapon

that you use a lot, it upgrades. I can now wield two sawed-off shotguns. I can

also lock-on to enemies with a machine gun & walk at the same time.

Well that sure beats the **** out of walking & chewing bubble-gum @ the same time.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    LOL

how do you actually START the gang wars?

I've run over, hit, beat, killed, maimed hudreds of them from all different gangs... but aside from having a lot of weapons and a fair bit of money, nothing really seems to have changed
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

LOL

how do you actually START the gang wars?

I've run over, hit, beat, killed, maimed hudreds of them from all different gangs... but aside from having a lot of weapons and a fair bit of money, nothing really seems to have changed

There is a mission that you need to do first that when completed changes

the map screen. Your territory is highlighted green while you are surrounded

by purple. To start a gang war, load up a 4-door car with your homies & drive

to a purple area. It's a little hit or miss but look for small groups of people

with different gang colors & then smoke 'em! If it works a little message

saying that you started a gang war.

I've been getting out of my car when I see my homies open fire on someone

& then I'll go in that direction to start taking them out.