Apple retail to expand into Canada in 2005

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Canadians seeking a local Apple-branded retail store may have to look no further than Toronto in the coming months.

Sources tell AppleInsider that Apple Computer is close to inking a deal with realtors that would bring Canada its first Apple retail store, extending the company's retail presence to yet another country.

Canada would be the fourth country in which Apple would have a retail presence. Presently, Apple has more than 90 stores across the US, two stores in Japan, and the UK, where it is expected to open first store in November and another early next year.

The first batch of stores will begin appearing in shopping malls in and around the Ontario area.

According to sources, Apple in the final stages of a leasing agreement with the Yorkdale Shopping Center located in Toronto. The 1.6-million-square-foot shopping venue is home to other major retail outlets such as the Sony Store. It is the third largest shopping centre in Canada.

Speaking to AppleInsider, representatives for the shopping center recently confirmed plans to host an Apple store by mid-2005, but declined to provide any specific information. Related parties also acknowledged that an agreement was pending, but would not comment further, citing non-disclosure agreements.

The Yorkdale Shopping Center is undergoing expansion in its former Sears/Eatons' location. Previous reports had indicated that Apple was looking to secure a storefront in the newly created addition, but new information suggests that Apple may renovate an existing location.

Sources have also confirmed that the forthcoming Vaughan Mills Mall--Canada's first regional mall since 1990--will also host Apple as one of its tenants. The mall, which was previously slated to open in the Fall of 2004, remains under construction just outside of Toronto. Nearly one-quarter of Canada's population lives within 60 miles of the shopping location and the surrounding area has a population of more than 4 million.

Rumors of an Apple retail expansion into Canada began gaining momentum earlier this year. Internal company documents and retail roll-out schedules have since confirmed that up to four retail stores were previously slated to open in Canada by the end of the 2004 calendar year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Let's hope for one also in Vancouver area and also Montreal area.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by michelc

...and also Montreal area.

Especially now that B.Mac has closed its doors. One right next to the Future Shop on St. Catherine would be sweet.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

It is the third largest shopping centre in Canada.

When in Toronto, shopping at the Yorkdale Mall is a must -- let the tourists go to the Eaton Centre. It's a perfect fit for Apple, but the third largest shopping centre in Canada!? That's a surprise to me. Maybe in terms of retail sales volume? For size West Edmonton has to be first. Anyone wanna take a stab at the number two spot?

Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Nearly one-quarter of Canada's population lives within 60 miles of the shopping location and area has a population of more than 4 million.

One quarter, huh? Who came up with these figures, Apple USA?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Maybe it’s laughable, but can I hope for a Winnipeg location a couple of years on? It’d be the only location between Alberta and southern Ontario.

Regardless, I’m glad it’s finally coming together here. iTunes Music Store, now real Apple Stores.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thanatos

Maybe it’s laughable, but can I hope for a Winnipeg location a couple of years on? It’d be the only location between Alberta and southern Ontario.

Regardless, I’m glad it’s finally coming together here. iTunes Music Store, now real Apple Stores.

c'mon Winnipeg!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

One quarter, huh? Who came up with these figures, Apple USA?

and yet, what an oddly accurate representation of Toronto-centrism.

i have mixed feelings about the apple stores in canada. on the one hand, obviously they are good for raising apple mindshare. but on the other, they are still just the front end for a corporation that doesnt care much for you.

i think the apple stores are good for new customners, but i'm going to stick with my local dealers who i know will treat me like a human being (and who i know actually like what they are doing.)
  • Reply 7 of 26
    This is fantastic news!

Jeez, I was beginning to feel like Apple didn't care about its faithful Canadian customers, but now within the span of a month we get confirmations of both iTMS Canada AND Apple Stores.

I hereby reserve first spot in line on opening day!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    The Canadian population is around 31 million, one quarter live in Ontario as a whole, but when I look at this math I figure it must have been orginally done on the first Pentium. That was the one that had a hard time with Math and had to be pulled by Intel.

West Ed will be in future plans then, it is the largest retail space in the World! A great place to grab mind share and reach the globe. Over 90% of tourists to Edmonton (and there is a fair number) visit the mall.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I live 5 minutes from Yorkdale. It is an upscale mall, currently undergoing a large expansion. It is a perfect location for an apple store. The mall is always busy. It is comparable to the Aventura Mall in the Miami area.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nukebot4K

and yet, what an oddly accurate representation of Toronto-centrism.

Wait, you mean there are people who don't live near Toronto?

And maybe they meant to say "within 600 miles". Or perhaps their using those 'canadian' miles, which are longer than US miles.

Quote:

i have mixed feelings about the apple stores in canada. on the one hand, obviously they are good for raising apple mindshare. but on the other, they are still just the front end for a corporation that doesnt care much for you.

Wait, the company doesn't care much for you? Then why do you even bother with their products? Doesn't seem logical to me (then again, I'm not sure what the Winnepeg folks are complaining about, I think they'd be covered by a store in Vancouver as much as needing to get their own one.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

(then again, I'm not sure what the Winnepeg folks are complaining about, I think they'd be covered by a store in Vancouver as much as needing to get their own one.

What? Do you have any idea of the distance between the two cities?

Mapquest reports it as 2216 km. That's almost 1400 miles.

"Why does Dallas need a store? There's one in Los Angeles, after all. That should cover them."
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Not impressed. I'm living in Guelph right now, but when I do live in Toronto my house is just a few minutes walk from a great Authorized Apple Retailer store. Yorkdale is all the way out of Toronto, and will not draw attention compaired to a downtown location. I don't think that the will get nearly as many random (PC using) new comers in Yorkdale. I'm sticking with the current stores in Toronto.

www.carbonation.com

PS - I'm super miffed that there is nothing at all in Guelph! I gotta wait to get my computer fixed!
  • Reply 13 of 26
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HoserHead

What? Do you have any idea of the distance between the two cities?

Mapquest reports it as 2216 km. That's almost 1400 miles.

"Why does Dallas need a store? There's one in Los Angeles, after all. That should cover them."

What? Don't you have any idea of humor? Of course I know Vancouver is a distance away. Its on the freakin' west coast. Winnipeg's in the middle of, well, nowhere. It was going along with the whole "25% of Canadians live near toronto" thing.

I think before Canadians get a store, they should get a sense of humor (and not any of that imported 'british' kind, you know, where you think Benny Hill is actually funny). Just take a cue from us 'Americans'. We put humor in everything. Hell, just look who's been our presidents the last 12 years!
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Given the choice between an Apple Store and a Hockey Team, I think Winnipeg would take the NHL back any day over a Genius Bar.

Wouldn't hold out hope for a fruit computing outlet there.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Given the choice between an Apple Store and a Hockey Team, I think Winnipeg would take the NHL back any day over a Genius Bar.

Wouldn't hold out hope for a fruit computing outlet there.

You’re right that a majority of Winnipeggers would choose an Apple Store over an NHL team (I wouldn’t), but I don’t understand how that’s relevant. Are they mutually exclusive?

The Mac market here seems tragically tiny, that would be more the issue.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Cool beans

I've been saving up for a black turtle neck, a pair of jeans and some nice new wire rimmed glasses just so I can get a job there.

What to you mean that's not the uniform???

Seriously though, this is very exciting. First ITMS and now Apple stores. I'm in like Flynn - if they open up one nearby it'd make a much nicer fulltime part time job as I finish my next degree.

The questions now are when exactly, where and who do we send the resumés to?

Also: To the chap in Guelph - I'm in Cambridge, I think ComputerLynx on industrial does Mac. There's a place on King in Waterloo called First Avenue that is mac only as well. I bought mine from the Best Buy in Kitchener, so they're my support site.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperbolic monkey consolidated

[B]When in Toronto, shopping at the Yorkdale Mall is a must -- let the tourists go to the Eaton Centre. It's a perfect fit for Apple, but the third largest shopping centre in Canada!? That's a surprise to me. Maybe in terms of retail sales volume? For size West Edmonton has to be first. Anyone wanna take a stab at the number two spot?

Number two is probably Square One in Mississauga. It's the largest mall in Ontario, so I would assume it's number 2.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yes another reason for me to move to Canada.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I really don't know where you got the idea that there weren't any apple retail stores in Canada. I've been buying from apple retail stores in Canada for the last 13 years.???????

I know of 75 in Quebec, 75 in Ontario,75 in British Columbia, 70 in Alberta, 17 in Manitoba,etc. I'll stop there. You can go to the reseller link and find a whole lot in Canada.

http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/

Man o man

8)
  • Reply 20 of 26
    bdonnbdonn Posts: 28member
    Yorkdale...Vaughan Millls.. ok... a bit far...

Uptown is covered. What about downtown? Hopefully it's in the works.