Canon ZR80 Digital Video Camera

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay, rather than the question I had, I will ask for opinions....anyone have this camera? Your thoughts? I am thinking about buying two of them for a project I am doing. Does not need to be a fancy XL2 or anything remotely near that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Okay, rather than the question I had, I will ask for opinions....anyone have this camera? Your thoughts? I am thinking about buying two of them for a project I am doing. Does not need to be a fancy XL2 or anything remotely near that.

99% of people wont be able to tell a difference in quality between "average" dv cams. it really just comes down to your personal preference and your comfort level with the camera. with that said, i would stick with either sony or canon. i have had great luck with their consumer cameras. most of my old work has been done with a crappy, outdated Hi8 sony handycam and people cant see the difference between that and consumer dv cams.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

99% of people wont be able to tell a difference in quality between "average" dv cams. it really just comes down to your personal preference and your comfort level with the camera. with that said, i would stick with either sony or canon. i have had great luck with their consumer cameras. most of my old work has been done with a crappy, outdated Hi8 sony handycam and people cant see the difference between that and consumer dv cams.

Yeah, I have an old dated Hi8 Sony as well but I want the picture to be exact what it would be with a Canon mini DV so I am goig to just scrape the Sony all together.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Yeah, I have an old dated Hi8 Sony as well but I want the picture to be exact what it would be with a Canon mini DV so I am goig to just scrape the Sony all together.

ya that should be fine
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    You might find camcorderinfo.com useful.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    According to Consumer Reports, Canon has the worst repair record for camcorders. I have had some problems with Canons myself, so this time I went with the Sony HC40.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Canon is still reviewed favourably... just make sure you get an extended warranty. I'd rather have a quality camera with a worse-than-average repair record than a poor camera with an excellent repair record.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yeah, I use two Sony Digital8 units in my side business of creating wedding day documentaries/movies. These unit just came down to $299. Yet for a wedding, I can make a couple of times that back. A pretty good investment if you ask me.

Long story short, for most purposes, the quality of digital footage obtained from such consumer cameras is more than many people will ever need.