DS + iPod, or PSP?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm a big gamer, and I've been interested in the DS and PSP for a while now. I've resently been leaning toward getting a DS over the PSP because of PSP's por battery life (4-6 hours only) and the fact that I like Nintendo games a bit more than the games PSP would offer.

Another thing I've been wanting is an MP3 player. I don't really keep up with all of them, but based on word of mouth, I know that the iPod is most likely the best choice for that.

One thing that is changed my opinion, though, is that the PSP is going to cost roughly $200 here in America. With it, I could buy it instead of the DS and an iPod and save about $200, but I don't what the quality tradeoff would be.

Can you guys help me out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Do you currently have or use/enjoy any of the GameBoy systems? The DS is backwards compatible with the Advance, I think. But ultimately I expect the Sony machine to dominate the market as it will better leverage the combination of a home and portable platform.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It depends on how much music you'll want to be storing. The PSP has no internal hard drive, and sony appears to have no plans for one, so you'll be limited to 200 songs at tops on a single Memory Stick.

However, I think the PSP is what I'll be buying, since I'm not a huge music aficionado.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I wouldn't count on PSP domination, we don't even really know what's planned for it.

If you want to turn your PSP into an mp3 player then be prepared to spend at least $100 for a decent sized Memory Stick Duo.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks for the replies.

I had forgot about the need of a memory stick. As a gaming machine, I think I like the DS over the PSP. While it has better graphics, I've always been a fan of Nintendo's game offerings, and the touch screen stuff interests me. After seeing the Metroid game, it looks like the touch controls could really work well for FPS's.

I had forgoten about the need for a Memory Stick for the PSP though. I'm leaning toward the DS iPod combo now. Even though it would cost a bit more, my like of the DS games over the PSP games, and the fact that the iPod is probably a superior MP3 player as compared to the PSP, give it an edge.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Or you could get an iPod now and wait to see what goes down on the DS/PSP tip. Entertain yourself with mp3s and the iPod games for now, save up again and wait and see the direction the handheld game systems take.

I was going to pre-order the DS, but I don't see the point anymore. Why not wait and see what happens? The PSP will be pushed out faster and cheaper than planned because of the DS, see what they have planned.