iPhoto: what gives? where is it?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With the launch of the iPod photo, why did apple not release iPhoto for windows along side it, in stead of recomending photoshop elements+alblum as a windows add-on?

Apple is all about the full solution, so why is this one so half-assed? the hardware is great but the software...oh the software...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I would imagine that their thought was Windows users would most likely have either Photoshop Album or Photoshop Elements 3 to manage their digital pictures already, as Windows offers nothing like that "in the box". They did update iTunes to hook into either Photoshop Album or Photoshop Elements 3 (pretty good, IMO, as Photoshop Elements 3 was just released).

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 2 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No real profit from it at this point, I think. The effort involved probably isn't worth the cost. I doubt the photo thing will be that big, and if it does turn out to be a big thing, then they would probably consider iPhoto for windows. This is how iTunes worked too originally. It used to come with MusicMatch for the Windows installs until the iTMS came out. So PS Album and Elements handle the load for now. Doesn't mean things can't change.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'm kinda surprised they didn't give at least a passing mention to google's picasa (especially since it's free, so apple could play up the fact that you didn't necessarily have to buy anything extra).
  • Reply 4 of 12
    A variation of iPhoto for PCs may come along eventually, as did iTunes for PC after it was available only for Macs initially. Remember early iPods did accept another jukebox (can't remember which one). The iPod Photo is really a niche product in my opinion and as stated above Apple can wait to see what happens. It won't be a world-beater like the regular Pods methinks.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I don't think Apple wants to port the iLife suite to Windows. People won't have a reason to buy a Mac if that happens.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 7 of 12
    one thing that I don't understand is why APple is using iTunes to transfer iPhoto-pictures..... for PC's I can sort of understand, but for Mac, wouldn't it be easiier just to update iPhoto aand let us do it thru that app instead of iTunes...?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think it was easier to leave this in iTunes' court to begin with. Have one team of people tied into the iPod do it first. By the time Tiger comes out and the next version of iPhoto, this will probably show up in iTunes, but I suspect that, behind the scenes, the way we're seeing it was the quickest, easiest way to get things going.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

I don't think Apple wants to port the iLife suite to Windows. People won't have a reason to buy a Mac if that happens.

people will have a reason to buy an iPod, iPod Photo if that happens.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

(especially since it's free, so apple could play up the fact that you didn't necessarily have to buy anything extra).

ipod photo can sync with any folder, so you dont have to buy anything extra.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Because there is no iPhoto Pictures Store, simply put.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

With the launch of the iPod photo, why did apple not release iPhoto for windows along side it, in stead of recomending photoshop elements+alblum as a windows add-on?

Apple is all about the full solution, so why is this one so half-assed? the hardware is great but the software...oh the software...

Your right. Apple is all about the full solution, when your using a Mac. That is, an should be, the major reason for porting iTunes to Windows, even the iPod itself to move more consumers into purchasing a Mac.

If Apple was about "the total package" with all products why did it take so long for iTunes to be ported to Windows after the original iPod for Windows?

Eventually they may want to port iPhoto, but in the back of my mind I feel they want to keep as many iApps Macside as they can. iTMS really pushed the need for iTunes on Windows. (Read Placebo's post)