winplosion = Expose for Windows

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I haven't seen this discussed yet.

And yet another aspect of OSX is cloned and fed to the masses. It looks exactly the same as Expose... except windows have to press two keys to activate it.

Winplosion

iDunno

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    This has been discussed back in the days when this software was released and was still called Winexposé.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    i have to say, i have mixed feelings about this program. On the one hand, it is a blatent copy of apple but, so is winblows.

On the other hand, windows needs something like this for all of us who usually use a mac. I was sitting there in VPC last nigh and i kept going to one of my hot corners trying to see all of my windows and surprisingly ( - ) it, being windows and not mac, didn't work.

I have come to rely heavily on expose. When i use someone else's mac without hot corners i go nuts trying to get it to work before remembering that it isn't my mac.

Now i just have to decide what hot corner will Dashboard use?
  • Reply 3 of 46
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Apple has to patent Exposé, and sue these bastards out of business.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Apple has to patent Exposé, and sue these bastards out of business.

Have you used it? apple would be silly to sue, it is so buggy, and just plain cheezey that they will be gone in 6 months...
  • Reply 5 of 46
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    People said the same thing about Windows...
  • Reply 6 of 46
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Have you used it? apple would be silly to sue, it is so buggy, and just plain cheezey that they will be gone in 6 months...

So what. I'm not worrying about this garage startup, I worrying about MS being able to pull off whatever copy they want with Exposé, since it's not patented.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

So what. I'm not worrying about this garage startup, I worrying about MS being able to pull off whatever copy they want with Exposé, since it's not patented.

If Apple patented the "beachball" then I'm pretty sure they covered Exposé. I remember the last version of "exposé" that MS demonstrated for longhorn, and it made all the windows "tilt" towards you so you could see them. Pretty sad, really.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    My mate is currently using the free 7 day demo of winplosion, he said it is so buggy that it's not even worth the $10 that it costs to buy.

He reckons winplosion is nowhere near as good as expose, and he is windows lover.

Apple should be in some position to sue. Surely you don't have to patent something for you to sue... it is pretty onvious that it is a rip off.

iDunno.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Why you people care, I do not know.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

And yet you felt the need to post that.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

bitterness and fear...go back to 1984, look at a mac, and a pc side by side...now look at that same mac and windows 2.0 or even 3.1 side by side...NEARLY IDENTICAL, and patents or not, it was legal.

now think ahead...look at system 7 next to win 95

and finaly, the fit and finish (or lack thereof) in xp as compared to the fit and finish of osx 10.0

MS tries hard to copy, but falls way short and somehow makes all of the money doing it.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    touche, iDunno!
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Hoisted on my own petard!

Apple swipes one innovation from someone else 20 years ago and now and forever they are the kings and sole owners of innovation.

If you ignore all of the things Apple had to sprint towards to play catch-up and how a lot of its innovations are the result of buying up other companies/products then you might get the impression that it actuallyoperates differently from Microsoft+hardware division!
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Just look at Dashboard. Isn't that the same (even down to the name describingt he apps) as Konfabulator?

I think if apple wants to steps so hard on someone elses toes, the should have bought the company.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh god, not that one again.

Quick SAT-style question:

Dashboard is to Konfabulator as Mercedes is to:

a) Yugo

b) Daewoo

c) Skoda

d) Seat

They are superficially similar, but nothing else is the same.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    e) a rollerskate.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    I bought it. Unfortunately, I use an XP laptop which isn't really all that bad. XP is sooooo much better than anything out of Redmond since forever. And I bet Expose is better, but for $10, I couldn't pass it up.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

I bought it. Unfortunately, I use an XP laptop which isn't really all that bad. XP is sooooo much better than anything out of Redmond since forever. And I bet Expose is better, but for $10, I couldn't pass it up.

Umm... should I just assume you are yet to get Panther? Why don't you have Expose? Do you have a Mac? You must, you are posting here.

iDunno
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

Umm... should I just assume you are yet to get Panther? Why don't you have Expose? Do you have a Mac? You must, you are posting here.

iDunno

umm...I have no Mac ...yet... and I am a regular here.

Soon I shall have the funds for a G5 (god willing) and then i will be able to use my 700 mhz windows xp box for nothing but the occasional VB session.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

They are superficially similar, but nothing else is the same.

So Apple (seemingly) took someone else's idea and made it better?

So... exactly like Microsoft.