iMac G5 widescreen

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just got my iMac G5 and put some games on and found that some of the resolutions dont fit e.g Call of duty leaves two black lines either side of the screen. Is there any way I can make this so it uses the whole screen. What is the best resolution for playing games on the iMac (17")

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    You're probably going to have that problem with anything that needs to run in a 4:3 (right?) resolution (1024x768, 1280x1024, etc.) since the iMac is a widescreen system. 1440x900 is widescreen not 4:3, if I remember correctly.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    If it doesn't natively support widescreen resolutions you'll normally have a resolution option called 1024x768 (Expanded). All it does is stretch it though so I tend to prefer the black lines.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Call Of Duty is a Quake III engine, you should be able to set the resolution manually through the game console.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    some games can't handle the 16:9 resolutions

I don't think call of duty is one of them

AvP2, for instance, can't do 16:9. One of the many reasons I don't like Apple's displays :X
  • Reply 5 of 6
    depending on the game, you can change resolutions to your native 16:9 resolution, and then change the FOV so that it matches up with the extra screen realistate and doesnt stretch the image. In ut2004 for example, you can run it in widescreen by changing your resolution in your INI and also your FOV to 100 or so (might be higher, i forget) and you wont get any stretching because your game will be showing what you would see if it was natively 16:9. Alot of windows users who have UT2004 and widescreen HDTV's do this when they hook up they're game machine to the TV to play sometimes. As for other games, i dunno, it really depends on wether or not they let you change you FOV to something that will match a 16:9 resolution, and wether you can change to a 16:9 resolution either in-game or with some config file.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    What do i need to type in the console to change the resolution, whats the code?