Flu shot?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

My mum has teh polio vaccination scar. Aiyeee! Hold me, Scully! Hold me until the fear in me subsides...

Code Orange monkey virus alert!

........Your "mum"? I thought you were a Yank. [eyes narrow suspiciously]
  • Reply 62 of 69
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I wonder why it's required for athletes. Seems a little strange to give them to healthy people when people who really need them aren't getting them this year.

Shows the priorities. An asthmatic geek like Kickaha, who may well be inventing the next breakthrough in man/machine interface, has to die so a big, dumb jock like Applenut won't miss a game. To top it off, he will bully the few surviving geeks.

Sorry, Applenut. I just couldn't resist. We know from your posts you are actually the rare big, smart jock. Apologies also for stereotyping Kick.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Shows the priorities. An asthmatic geek like Kickaha, who may well be inventing the next breakthrough in man/machine interface, has to die so a big, dumb jock like Applenut won't miss a game. To top it off, he will bully the few surviving geeks.

Sorry, Applenut. I just couldn't resist. We know from your posts you are actually the rare big, smart jock. Apologies also for stereotyping Kick.

joking aside, I got in on my own merit, as an out of stater which if you know about admissions is no easy feet.

also, you ignore my message in that the school has a set amount, all of which is available to anyone if they go to the set dates for the shot. im required in that my coach is making us all go to one of the dates to get the shot. it's not like the university is restricting the shot to only athletes. that would be a NCAA violation.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    g2gg2g Posts: 39member
    I have not had a Flu shot in 15 years ...im 35 and have not been sick for more than a day or two...in that 15 years so I am not getting one ever again....
  • Reply 65 of 69
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G2G

I have not had a Flu shot in 15 years ...im 35 and have not been sick for more than a day or two...in that 15 years so I am not getting one ever again....

yea, i've never gotten one and rarely get sick. i really would prefer not to get one. in general i try to take the minium amount of drugs/medicine/vaccinations I have to. Probably silly, but I don't trust everything and think for the most part if you get sick and fight it off its a bit better. but whatever.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    I'm very surprised that the concept of herd immunity has not been introduced to this thread up to this point!
  • Reply 67 of 69
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    My mother almost dies from a flue shot. The Doctor told her to never get another one. She still has trouble breathing years later.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thiemo View Post

I'm very surprised that the concept of herd immunity has not been introduced to this thread up to this point!

The flu shot does not have the same herd immunity effect as other vaccinations because of the rapid mutation of the many different flu viruses. This is why the flu, as of this point, will not be eradicated like say, polio has (mostly) been, or how HPV could easily be (if not for the religious and anti-vax nutters).