Apple Store London UK - update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From the glimpse I could get through the door in the hoarding (just before the burly security guard placed himself neatly in the way) on Saturday work continues frantically to meet the 20 Nov opening.

It's going to be a huge store - on Regent Street and near Oxford Circus and looks to have all the Apple hallmarks - can't wait!

And it opens just after the London MacExpo!

later: There was a news item here on AI 22 April 2004 and I recall seeing somewhere a batch of photos of the shrouded building together with a comment about the store's location within the building frontage which extends for a complete block. It looks to me as though Apple will have the entire centre part of the frontage with 4 huge arched glass windows. I could just see the (well-protected) glass staircase within but oh-boy the shopfitters have some work to do!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    well, actually the expo is still there till 20th november.

going to bring my badge to get in there free...

anyway, http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/regentstreet/

the opening will be 10 am. interesting. i will be there with a bunch of geeks ..
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Join me in the Lucky Bag queue! 8)
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

I just booked my flight to join.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Now then - any speculations as to who will cut the tape at the "Grand Opening"??

Or will it simply be - open doors and rugby scrum/ first day of Harrod's sale?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Are the lucky dip bags worth getting? What sortt of stuff have they put in previous ones?

Dave.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Have a look at this link to see sample Lucky Bag contents
  • Reply 7 of 14
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Grrrrrrrrrrr - I think I'm going to be up in Sheffield that day, at the NUA. Damn!

So, which would I like more - a bell-ringing conference, or an Apple store opening?

Amorya
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Have a look at this link to see sample Lucky Bag contents

spylaw,

Thanks for the link . I just found the info on the Apple UK web site too, looks like pretty much the same deal:

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/regen.../luckybag.html

Quote:

The Lucky Bags may contain a selection of the following items in any combination: Airport Express, Wireless Mouse, Wireless Keyboard, D-Link, Keynote, .Mac, iLife, iSight Camera, 20GB iPod, Silver iPod Mini, JBL on Tour, GarageBand Jam Pack, Limited Edition iPod Case, Limited Edition iPod Mini Case, ProCare, 10% off coupon, Insider?s Guide to London DVD or a World Book Encyclopedia

I'm not sure if I'll bother with one, as I'm not bothered about wireless keyboard / mouse, Airport Express, I already have iLife 04, I've just renewed my .Mac subscription, and I have no use for Keynote .Oh, and I already have an iPod, as does my wife . So I think I'll pass and let someone who really wants all that kit get it instead .

But I think I'll be in the queue for a T-shirt though .

Dave.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Oh heh, the same rules as always for the lucky bags.. so I can't buy one.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Oh heh, the same rules as always for the lucky bags.. so I can't buy one.

Rules for the lucky bag?

Did i miss somethin?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Can't buy them if you work there or for them.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I saw inside the London Apple Store today.

Who wants to touch me?

As was said, BOY have the shopfitters got a lot to do. Miles of MDF shelving going toward the back of the shop.

The glass staircase goes straight up in front of you as you enter the door. The entire wall to its left is one big arse mirror, making the shop look h u g e .

Clever design. Doesn't look 2-ish weeks from opening to me, but hey, I'm no shopfitter.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I can't wait. I'll be in both the t-shirt and lucky bag queues.

I'd imagine there being huge queues for this kind of thing and I live on the southcoast and will probably have to catch the train, the earliest one in the morning will get there at 7am or the latest of the friday night will get there at midnightish... What time do people advise to be near the front of the queue (well enough to gauruntee a lucky bag and t-shirt ) ?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Another progress update......

Passed in front of the store today. Hoarding down, but all windows blacked out with black self-adhesive panels bearing the white Apple logo and the opening date. Working on the footway surfacing. Looking through the open door and again confronted by a surly and suspicious security guard I could see around the edges of the tarpaulin that blocked most of view that stock was beginning to arrive but that shopfitting was still proceeding apace. Huge wooden packing cases at the end of the block with "Made in USA" stickers on them out of which wooden shop fittings were being unloaded. A vertiable hive of activity! And it looks as though it is going to be really impressive!

8)