20" iMac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I ordered an iMac G5 20" last week and it shows a ship date of November 30! Is this accurate? Anyone else order one of the web have close to these ship dates?

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    well i ordered on oct 4th '04 and the estimated shipping date is on nov. 5th ,i haven't received any notification yet ,but i have read that some ppl who ordered it on the same date(with different options but custom-made though)have recieved the note.so hopefully mine should be on its way from Chinna ,hope so

iMac 20' /bt keyboard and mouse/airpost card installed

even though some huge delays have been foreseen for the custom-made 20 "iMacs
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

I ordered an iMac G5 20" last week and it shows a ship date of November 30! Is this accurate? Anyone else order one of the web have close to these ship dates?

Macaddict16

I ordered mine on Oct 3 with an estimated ship date of Nov 2. It actually shipped on Oct 30, but is still in China. Should arrive at the end of the week.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I ordered mine on 18 september and it should be despatched tomorrow. My despatch date has been changed 3 times already so I will only believe the despatch date when i get the actual shipping confirmation.

Mine is a 20", 1Gb ram, bt and airport extreme card.

what stinks is the attitude from apple regarding the despatch dates. It is a take it or leave it mentality. I am seriously thinking of cancelling my order and ordering an ordinary G5.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    i ordred a 17" on 18th of sept and i got mine last friday
  • Reply 5 of 25
    cmckcmck Posts: 6member
    Ordered my 20" iMac G5 on 28/09/04. Shipping date was estimated by 28/10/04. It actually shipped 21/10/04 and arrived today.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I ordered a 20" with 512Meg RAM, 250Gig HD,BlueTooth wireless KB/mouse, and Airport Extreme on 10/4. The Estimated ship date was 11/5.

I got confirmation that it shipped today from Shanghai. The FedEx tracking information says to expect delivery on 11/5.

They seem to have caught up and are shipping on or slightly ahead of schedule.

-- Mehdi --
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Mine just arrived today (Nov 2, Northern Virginia), when it only shipped on Oct 30. That's fast. Now I, uh.., have something else to do. Bye.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    I ordered my 20" with bluetooth at a local shop (2 october).

It seems the long shipping time problem is only affecting the 20" model since both 17" models are readily available there but they did not have an idea how long before the 20" will actually ship.

Maybe Apple expected more sales for the mid-range 17" model, as Phil Shiller said in his Keynote in Paris.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Ordered 20" +BT (will add the extra RAM my self) on 8/10 or 10/8 (if you are US) delivery was to be 5/11 but it apparently it was despatched on 28/10. apart from the note on K&N that the flight was booked 1/11 there is no more news yet and TNT are not yet showing it.

The tension is becoming unbearable!

4/11 - K&N now showing departed Shanghai on 3/11 ETA 4/11 -but ETA where?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    i ordered mine on oc. 4th and nothing yet ,has anyone gotten the email confirmation of a 20" BTOWKM/airport card?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMAC G5dreamer

i ordered mine on oc. 4th and nothing yet ,has anyone gotten the email confirmation of a 20" BTOWKM/airport card?

Yes, I have this configuration and have received my FedEx tracking number already... It should arrive tomorrow.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Ordered my 20" 3rd September, est ship date 15th October...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

Ordered my 20" 3rd September, est ship date 15th October...

and? Did you get it? are you still waiting?

My order status is now showing as shipped, but there is no email from apple telling me so, there is no tracking number,... I guess i will have to wait and see what happens.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    mehdimehdi Posts: 42member
    My unit arrived on Friday, as scheduled!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by mehdi

My unit arrived on Friday, as scheduled!

finally my unit is shipped! it is scheduled for delivery 18 november, which is exactly one month late. No apology, no freebies, no call back as promised, just an email.

Now let's hope the fans are working ok.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolypoly

and? Did you get it? are you still waiting?

Still waiting But if yours is a month late I expect mine should ship on the 15th
  • Reply 17 of 25
    mehdimehdi Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolypoly

Now let's hope the fans are working ok.

Hmmm... Is there something I should know about the fans? I was not aware of any issues with the fans. Please elaborate.

Thanks,

-- Mehdi --
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Apparently a few people got faulty fans. In all cases Apple replaced them straight away (shipped a replacement part out via FedEx). This was a while ago, and I have not seen any faulty fans myself.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Apparently a few people got faulty fans. In all cases Apple replaced them straight away (shipped a replacement part out via FedEx). This was a while ago, and I have not seen any faulty fans myself.

My fan made much more noise before the 10.3.6 update. The fan wasn't loud, but the frequency goes right through your head like a laser (think of a high-pitched whine). Since the update, this sound has basically disappeared. Only when I'm pushing it does the sound come back but even then it isn't as bad as it was in 10.3.5.

As far as replacement parts go, it seems Apple is still trying to nail what part has issues.

Also, there seem to have been two different 'noisy fan' issues. The first is like mine with the high-pitched whine. The second relates to a plastic tab on the fan getting hit by the blades, and making a louder much more annoying sound.

This issue is being discussed heavily in the iMacG5/Usage forum at http://discussions.info.apple.com .
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Well at long last my 20" BTO arrived this morning!

Released for shipping on 28/10 so it's taken 10 working days to get to London.

What a whopper! Quite brilliant and very well designed packaging. Excellent screen no dead pixels that I can spot but just a weeny bit of fan noise for a fair amount of time. I shall monitor for 24 hours before complaining to Apple.

Glad I took the plunge! Except for a small but annoying noise - processor workload independant. Sort of a hum/whirr/buzz combo from the lower right as you look at the screen.