Treating an iMac G5 as a portable?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm considering purchasing a new iMac -- of whichever size. Would it be feasible to transport it from home/work/home on a 3-day a week basis?

Assuming that I was careful with it, and had a properly protective carrying case/bag, could this work, or is this just inherently a bad idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    well .. the 17" weights 18 lbs, 20" is 25 lbs .. a bit heavy I'd think to transport.

or for sure, more a "transportable" computer rather than a portable.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It is possible but comes with a few caveats.

Notebook hard drives are designed to withstand impact and vibration. Desktop hard drives, as found in the iMac, aren't as durable. Granted, while not on, a hard drive should park it's heads and should be fine with the occaisional jolt.

In general, I advise against this sort of thing. While the size of the iMac G5 makes it relatively easy to tote around, it is asking for trouble. Even laptops, which designed to be abused, have a high failure rate.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Well you'll CERTAINLY need to read this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86816
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

wow.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

I can not believe that Apple needs to have this on their website. I guess there was probably some idiot that called Apple to ask so they posted it on the web.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 6 of 14
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Thanks for the input. On to Plan B.

Was it my imagination, or did I read on one of the Mac sites an article about a vendor that was in the process of designing a carrying case for the iMac?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

I can not believe that Apple needs to have this on their website. I guess there was probably some idiot that called Apple to ask so they posted it on the web.

Macaddict16

ok, so you have the imac g5 box in front of you. pick up the imac .. where would you grab it to lift it, like instinctively? since there are no handles.

too many would lift it pressing from the screen.

so there was a real reason for asking that kbase article to be written. another thing could have been having it written somehow differently, so it would not have ended e.g. in the internal humor lists...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Actually, the second you picked it up by the stand, it would probably flop forward and smash against the desk - all the weight is in the "display" of the new iMac. Well maybe not for everyone, but for most of the weak-armed, never-heard-of-physical-excercise geeks here, probably.

I don't get it. Every week I see a post on some forum making fun of this.

Anyway, a few days a week could be fine, depending on your situation. If you park your vehicle within easy walking distance of your office, for instance... no big deal to carry it a few minutes or so. You could even use the original box, depending.

I transported mine to work and back a half dozen times over the few weeks or so I had it, and it was no big deal. I park about 150 feet from the front door at work though, so that helped.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    <<... the few weeks or so I had it....>>

Murbot, is there a story here?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mehdimehdi Posts: 42member
    I just received my 20" iMac G5. I don't think it is designed to be moved/transported often. Weighing over 20 lbs, it's not really that transportable. Besides, you'll need a perfectly flat surface so nothing would happen to it during the transport.

Now, I must take it to work and show it off to all the PC geeks, but then it will come back home and will sit still there for a while.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

<<... the few weeks or so I had it....>>

Murbot, is there a story here?

Apparently you don't know murbot.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

Apparently you don't know murbot.

I didn't. Then I got to know him a little better.

--B
  • Reply 13 of 14
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

Macaddict16

I'm also surprised that some idiot hasn't called and asked for directions on how to carry an iPod...