winplosion = Expose for Windows

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Agreed- it's just another dimension of organization and convenience. The system I have come up with is to load all my tabbed pages into one window that I visit regularly (forums and newsites), and on the other window is where I open new tabs to websites I just want to check-out/explore/research at that moment. So when I want to refresh news and updates on my primary window, I just hit the "refresh all tabs". The websites are always in the same pattern of tabs, so I don't have to hunt around for a given site. The "one button" click to load up and refresh a window-ful of tabs is lovely, sweet! All of the impromptu website tabs are nicely isolated on the secondary window to refresh, close, or click links (as a new tab) at my whim.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Open up a total of 35 windows across 7 applications, and you tell me which system allows faster, less cluttered access between apps and data types.

on the Mac.

Now i really got a good grasp why applications under ms-windows

tend to be a bloated single window system with all associated apps inside.

Oh man i like the macintosh way...
  • Reply 43 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

I can't believe there were versions of OSX before Panther that never had Expose, it makes me realise how much I rely on it now.

Yet before Expose the Mac was still CLEARLY better than Windows for window management.

Christ almighty.

Spline:

Sorry if I offended you, but to try and act like there is some objective standard of which is better is just as insulting to my intelligence as I ever was to you.

Let's see... apps I'm running now:

Firefox (5 tabs), trillian, winamp, gmail notifier, symantec system center console, labman console, VNC, BCDC++, Word, Photoshop.

11 apps, 7 sitting in the system tray. Half of my taskbar open. So what's the difference? The Dock is more attractive?

The handiest thing about Expose, to me, is the "Hide Everything" option. This, of course, has been availble in Windows via a QuickLaunch "Show Desktop" button that has been around since the mid-1990s.

If you don't care where it comes from as long as its a good idea, does that logic apply equally to MS as it does to Apple?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

11 apps, 7 sitting in the system tray. Half of my taskbar open. So what's the difference? The Dock is more attractive?

So what are we talking about here? The Dock or Expose? I don't see one as a replacement for the other, necessarily. I guess if pressed for an explanation, they are both useful to leverage different kinds of recognition, as is most beneficial to the user for a particular situation. FWIW, the Dock also consolidates different multiple windows of same application under a single icon (or bar, as in the taskbar). It's useful to a point, but can get tedious under higher loads if you have to drill down the right app bar and then the correct window name in that list... Expose potentially offers a more visual based technique to accomplish the same when the open window loads get high. (Towlie says, "Did someone just say something about gettin' high?")

Lastly, both the Dock and Expose end up looking kewler than a Taskbar, imo.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

So what are we talking about here? The Dock or Expose?

In that particular vein of the conversation, the dock.

Quote:

FWIW, the Dock also consolidates different multiple windows of same application under a single icon (or bar, as in the taskbar).

Windows taskbar does the same.

Quote:

Expose potentially offers a more visual based technique to accomplish the same when the open window loads get high. (Towlie says, "Did someone just say something about gettin' high?")

Towelie?

Yes, Expose is a neat feature. Not one that is very compelling to me, however. More style than substance to me.

Quote:

Lastly, both the Dock and Expose end up looking kewler than a Taskbar, imo.

I agree, they look cool, but it is nothing more than a matter of preference. I like how small the taskbar is, especially the system tray. I also like the look of the dock when I'm using a Mac, though I often find myself wishing I had a tiny quicklaunch area and a tiny tray area.

The changing size of the Dock really throws me off.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Yes, that would seem to be a valid option to consider for Dock improvements- to be able to set a custom icon size for inactive apps in the Dock, perhaps? That way you could have a Quicklaunch kind of situation that doesn't cause the Dock to bloat out so much.