Is X inherently unstable?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by triotango

Have you checked your computer battery? Sometimes you may think all these problems are caused by some OS failure but it can be as simple as a dead clock battery.

Ah the irony.

The guy talking about a dead clock battery is responsible for this whole time warp.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Old hero: Burt Bacharach.

New hero: BuonRotto.

A slight improvement.

--B
  • Reply 43 of 46
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    Seeing as we're talking about OS X instability, here're my two ? cents.

I have a G5 Power Mac 1.8DP machine sitting on a bench next to me. Just underneath the bench is a Sony Hifi which I use for sound output. The two are connected together by an optical TOSlink cable.

Last night, when I switched the Hifi on using the remote, the Power Mac crashed and had a kernel panic. Talk about spooky!

It's a brand new system. I've had two kernel panics in the 1 week I've been using it. Admittedly I have put loads of programs on just to see which I like. They may be causing some instability. Norton Antivirus has been installed and uninstalled. Virtual PC has been installed and uninstalled. You get the picture.

Anyway, is there a log anywhere that details what was happening at the time of the kernel panic? For example in the Windows Blue Screen Of Death, you get a kind of indication as to what's happened because of the STOP error with a filename.

TIA,

Dave.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

Seeing as we're talking about OS X instability, here're my two ? cents.

I have a G5 Power Mac 1.8DP machine sitting on a bench next to me. Just underneath the bench is a Sony Hifi which I use for sound output. The two are connected together by an optical TOSlink cable.

Last night, when I switched the Hifi on using the remote, the Power Mac crashed and had a kernel panic. Talk about spooky!

It's a brand new system. I've had two kernel panics in the 1 week I've been using it. Admittedly I have put loads of programs on just to see which I like. They may be causing some instability. Norton Antivirus has been installed and uninstalled. Virtual PC has been installed and uninstalled. You get the picture.

Anyway, is there a log anywhere that details what was happening at the time of the kernel panic? For example in the Windows Blue Screen Of Death, you get a kind of indication as to what's happened because of the STOP error with a filename.

TIA,

Dave.

The genius bar is a better place for this question. But to answer your question. Go to Utilities and use the Console utility to see the logs in the system and read the stickies on top of the genius bar forum to check disk permissions and a check disk.

Also, are you sure there is no power surge when you turn on the hi-fi?
  • Reply 45 of 46
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    OK. Thanks for the info - I'll say no more in here but copy my post to the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I just saw this post and read all the way through...no one mentioned firmware updates. I had a G4 Cube and I waited a while before going from 9.2.2 to X.2.v. The computer was running okay for a while with occasional crashes. but as I chugged along with software updates it got worse to a point of OS meltdown. Eventually I realized that I did not do a firmware update (I think it was 4.1.9 or something like that) and it was quite critical thing if you are going from OS 9 to X. There is my input for whatever it is worth!