Ireland left out of EU iTunes Music Store rollout

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
If reports are true, Apple's European Union (EU) iTunes Music Store was originally slated to include 10 new countries, not 9.

"It appears Apple originally planned to open for business in Ireland this Tuesday, when it extended its service across Europe. These plans, however, were stymied at the last minute by a disagreement with the Irish Music Rights Organization (IMRO)," claims Macworld UK.

Negotiations between the two parties are ongoing, an an IMRO spokesperson said.

Apple this week launched iTunes music stores in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal and Spain. However, the company's iTunes Web site had previously suggested that Ireland would be included in the EU iTunes mix.

A message on the iTunes site originally read: "Purchases from the iTunes Music Store are available only in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, UK and the United States."

Apple declined to comment on the Macworld UK report, saying: "We are not announcing any new stores beyond Canada in November at this point of time. We are committed to expanding the iTunes Music Store globally, and will announce new countries as and when they come on board."

All references to Ireland on Apple's iTunes web site quietly disappeared as of Friday afternoon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    That has got to be the most botched thing that Ireland Music Group for Rights or whatever has ever bitched about. U2 is an Irish rock group. Hence, it would make sense if they were less than thrilled that their home country was left out of the fun.

Also, on the choos country page in the iTMS, there are logically two more places where circles could be: Ireland, and Canada. It just makes sense.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    "Isn't it ironic?"

That the first band to be featured on an iPod is from a country that doesn't get iTMS?

Also, the woman who sang that song is from Canada -- another country that doesn't get it.

I think with the current crop of nations to join the iTMS "team" proves what I've been saying all along: Apple wants to get in countries as soon as they can, but it is each little piss-ant, local-yokel versions of the RIAA that are the holding things up. I wish the citizens of the excluded countries target their wrath at the deserving parties.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

"Isn't it ironic?"

That the first band to be featured on an iPod is from a country that doesn't get iTMS?

Also, the woman who sang that song is from Canada -- another country that doesn't get it.

I think with the current crop of nations to join the iTMS "team" proves what I've been saying all along: Apple wants to get in countries as soon as they can, but it is each little piss-ant, local-yokel versions of the RIAA that are the holding things up. I wish the citizens of the excluded countries target their wrath at the deserving parties.

Do we really know this though? There's no proof. Apple is mum about everything and the Canada's CRIA says the launch has been in Apple's hand for over 5 months now.

Who should we believe? Jobs who has a history of lies and deceits or the CRIA who has done nothing wrong so far, AFAIK? I'll happily place the blame on both just because someone has to be blamed and it would be unfair to blame the wrong party.

If Jobs/Apple was a bit more honest or conservative in his/its approaches, I wouldn't as readily blame Apple. But not blaming Apple at this point would be a mistake on your and my part.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Who should we believe? Jobs who has a history of lies and deceits or the CRIA who has done nothing wrong so far, AFAIK? I'll happily place the blame on both just because someone has to be blamed and it would be unfair to blame the wrong party.

Oh, you mean the group that pushed for charging an extra fee on blank CDs and iPods because they COULD be used for pirating?

And I thought Ireland and Canada were parts of the UK, so why do they need their own store. [<-- added because no one understands humor]
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Well, the iTunes music store does actually work in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK. Hence the confusion.

It does however NOT work (confirmed) in the Republic of Ireland. As I live here, and have done so for over 20 years, I am very unhappy about that. Especially because it seems ironic (keyword: U2).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Can everyone who read this please go to:

http://www.imro.ie/contact/feedback_form.shtml

And complain to the IMRO. It's OK if you're from different countries, but please just write and angry message of some sort about the iTMS. Please help me get Ireland back in on it
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Further irony - isn't the Apple Store UK based in Ireland? Or is it that they only employ Irish sounding staff?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Apple European HQ is in Ireland! Cork, in fact.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Apple & IMRO... get yer shit together!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Last I checked, most Irish can't stand U2.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Last I checked, most Irish can't stand U2.

I don't know where you got that from. Everybody in my year (school) either like, or really like U2 music. Although IIRC the French like U2 the most :P
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

"Isn't it ironic?"

This is so true - rumour has it that some European rights organisations are trying to get consumers to pay 20p for every track they put on an iPod or similar, which is nice work if you can get it at 10,000 tracks per Pod.