imac G5 and customer support (whinge)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is going on with the new imac and how does Apple plan it?s production? I have now been waiting for nearly 7 weeks on my order and there is still no sign of any progress!

Every time I have phoned Apple?s customer support they simply cannot tell me what the status is of my order apart from ?it is still in production?. The support guy told me today they have no overview as to what is happening or when products will be delivered, nor have they any real influence over speeding up orders which are late. To top it off today I was even asked if I wanted to cancel my current order and order a lower spec machine which can be delivered. What is that all about? They also have no explanation as to why orders with the same spec but placed after mine have already been delivered.

Does anyone know about an alternative number I can ring to find out what is happening to my order?

I really wonder what on earth I was thinking about when buying an Apple. Why did I even think about switching? Most Apple users on this forum (or any other Apple forum for that matter) keep going on about how great Apple?s are, how much better they are than PC?s and why windows users are stupid for not switching ? Well so far MY experience with Apple is the worst I have ever had with any computer supplier. They simply do not care about their customers and if this is a sign of quality and performance of their machines, then I simply don?t want it anymore.

Yes I am angry and yes I am letting off steam, but I have just had enough of it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    relax.... it will show up in due course

meanwhile have some more koolaid )
  • Reply 2 of 11
    and as predicted a new automated message with the revised date of 15 november. That will be one month late!

We trust you received our email indicating a revised ship date for the product you ordered. We regret to inform you that we must revise the ship date once again, as demand for the product remains beyond our expectations.

We now expect to ship your order by November 15th, 2004.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    which is why when possible buy from a local store

eg frys or your local college

note: im a heavy pc/linux user myself & not partial

to any os. i dont like apple's policies as regards

to their customers & hence i simply dont buy from them.

if i need to use osx i go get my stuff at the local

store
  • Reply 4 of 11
    unfortunately there is no apple store where I live, the nearest one is in Leeds which is miles away.

I only bought online because i thought this would be the best thing to do and because I wanted my education discount (some stores her don't offer the discount and tell you to contact apple).

My misery has only made worse when I walked into our printing department to see that they have 8 brand new imacs installed which arrived last week. They look impressive but unfortunately they aren't mine.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    My condolences, I have never had this happen to me personally, I have never waited longer than the original ship date estimation, I guess I am lucky. Not that this informations cheers you up any, but I know how it is to want something that seems to never come!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I am in Ireland, and finally got my 20" iMac G5 two weeks ago. While I am unhappy with the length of time it took, it is a new product, and it is now coming up to Christmas.

Did you order your iMac with default specs, or did you choose any build to order options?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Did you order your iMac with default specs, or did you choose any build to order options? [/B]

it is a BTO, but that shouldn't be the reason for the delay. On this and other forums there are other people with the same spec who have ordered theirs later and have already received them.

Spoken to apple again and they are looking into it. A very helpful support guy said that they are aware of slight delays, but that this was unusal and he is looking into it. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    If you get no joy, threaten to cancel your order completely. While I can see waiting for 3-4 weeks is fine, and waiting an additional week or so for BTO, you have clearly waited longer than other people.

By the way, once you get it, I recommend popping in two identical DDR 400 512 megabyte modules, and thus bringing the total memory up to 1 gig. Makes a world of difference.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

If you get no joy, threaten to cancel your order completely. While I can see waiting for 3-4 weeks is fine, and waiting an additional week or so for BTO, you have clearly waited longer than other people.

By the way, once you get it, I recommend popping in two identical DDR 400 512 megabyte modules, and thus bringing the total memory up to 1 gig. Makes a world of difference.

I did threaten to cancel, but with the demand they have for the Imac's and the delays in production, I don't think it made much difference. They probably would have welcomed a cancelled order to take the pressure off. The support guy I spoke to agreed that i had been waiting a lot longer than most people and would look into it so I hope there will be some progress soon. If I still don't have any news beginning of next week I will cancel, cause this has gone beyond a joke.

Part of my BTO order are two 512 modules. I added most options so that I wouldn't have to open the Imac up at a later stage to add things.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    My commiserations - shame you are having to wait so long! The 20" seems to have attracted more sales than they expected and I suppose BTO does cause some problem on the production line.

Hang on in there - you won't be disappointed when it does appear.

Now if only that TNT lorry would come round the corner..........!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Apple really are taking the P now big time. I got my shipping notification last week with an estimated delivery for 17-18 nov. Apple have now "lost" my imac in the delays in their warehouse in Holland and I will now not be getting my delivery this week.

I'm sure an ex girlfriend must be working at customer support who is deliberately delaying my order