controlling what goes where?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I know there is probably a simple answer to this but I can't find it. I work at a newspaper and I'm always going from the file server to the ads folder to the scans folder etc. Can I configure my system so that when I choose a folder to work in, the finder automatically goes to that folder? Or is that something that I would configure in the individual programs, i.e., Photoshop and InDesign CS?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cranwinks

I know there is probably a simple answer to this but I can't find it. I work at a newspaper and I'm always going from the file server to the ads folder to the scans folder etc. Can I configure my system so that when I choose a folder to work in, the finder automatically goes to that folder? Or is that something that I would configure in the individual programs, i.e., Photoshop and InDesign CS?

Yes.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You could drag those folders into your dock or Finder's sidebar for easy frequent access, if that's what you're looking for.

I'm not sure what you're saying.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think they might be looking for a custom solution like Default Folder X.

You could also try looking at similar utilities at www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com

Otherwise, I'd say that if you're using Panther (Mac OS X 10.3), placing your most frequently used locations in the Finder's sidebar is a good way to get to where you want to go quickly. You can drag any folder or server to the sidebar of a Finder window where you have items like your pictures folder and your documents folder by default, and it creates an alias or shortcut to that place. If you don't have Panther, then you can add these places to your Favorites folder in pervious versions of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Or you can put them in the dock as well, or on top toolbar of the Finder in earlier versions of X (Show the toolbar and drag the folder up to it). I'm not certain that these support drag and drop into them (that's another issue), but they'll get you to the folder quickly enough.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    on the other hand, you can instruct him to do:

finder/pref/new finder windows open:

this will do exactly what he wants.

even can open folders across networks by default.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks! That was exactly what I needed!

cranwinks

Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I think they might be looking for a custom solution like Default Folder X.

You could also try looking at similar utilities at www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com

Otherwise, I'd say that if you're using Panther (Mac OS X 10.3), placing your most frequently used locations in the Finder's sidebar is a good way to get to where you want to go quickly. You can drag any folder or server to the sidebar of a Finder window where you have items like your pictures folder and your documents folder by default, and it creates an alias or shortcut to that place. If you don't have Panther, then you can add these places to your Favorites folder in pervious versions of Mac OS X.

• Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

on the other hand, you can instruct him to do:

finder/pref/new finder windows open:

this will do exactly what he wants.

even can open folders across networks by default.

Gorgeous, - this feature never poped up in my mind. It is exactly the feature someone else asked me for recently.