my new ibook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
just got my new ibook 12" 1.2GHz,

my first laptop, and my 2nd mac (imac G4 800 was the first)

everything is perfect except the LCD panel,

when it is closed, it was not closed tightly, i mean, i can flip it say 1mm,

and the worst of all, the panel seems to 'bend' out on both sides,

i.e. 1mm gap in the centre, and 2mm gap on both sides

is this a defect? or ask for a replacement?

hmm....i m depressed.......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    1 mm gap = depression?

If that is a big worry, you should be thankful for your situation in life. Things could be worse... Seriously.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The 1 mm should be about the size of the rubber stoppers. If it does not close and latch then you do have a problem. My old Ti 500 would pop open while I would be traveling. Then when I would want to do work the battery would be dead. That's depressing.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 15
    g2gg2g Posts: 39member
    Did you buy online or go to an Apple store?.....If you bought it at the store take it back...if online send an e-mail with photo...maybe??
  • Reply 4 of 15
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G2G

Did you buy online or go to an Apple store?.....If you bought it at the store take it back...if online send an e-mail with photo...maybe??

I got it online, the lid does close but just not tightly and

when i look at from the side when its closed, the 'bend' is so obvious.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I just looked at mine, it's exactly the same as you describe. It's because of the little rubber stoppers. The lid can be moved down a little bit onto the stoppers, this is normal. If it were so tight that it wouldn't even move a little there would be a lot of strain on the catch and you'd never get it open.
  • Reply 6 of 15

To say nothing of the more serious problems if your keyboard (potentially oily) is jammed against your LCD.

A bit of space is built into the design specifically for this reason.

Put down the micrometer.

"Bends" or warping in the case might be different, but you'd need to post photos for us to judge if your case (pun) is unique or if you're just being 'newcomputeritis' anal.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

To say nothing of the more serious problems if your keyboard (potentially oily) is jammed against your LCD.

A bit of space is built into the design specifically for this reason.

Put down the micrometer.

"Bends" or warping in the case might be different, but you'd need to post photos for us to judge if your case (pun) is unique or if you're just being 'newcomputeritis' anal.

you guys are probably right, it's the rubber stoppers that

make it look 'bend' a bit, i think i have to live with that.

now, i am struggling to check the airport extreme card,

it's signal is so weak, side by side with my imac which got 4 bars, the ibook got barely one and couldnt detect the network most of the time. this happens after running software updates,

i ll try reinstalling everything tonight, and see if it helps.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Make sure the antenna is plugged all the way in on the caard.

reg
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

Make sure the antenna is plugged all the way in on the caard.

reg

no luck here, checked the antenna,

gonna bring it back to the apple centre tomorrow......
  • Reply 10 of 15
    When my son got his ibook he also had very poor reception. The tech repaired permissions. He had good reception after that. Why repairing permissions would correct the problem, I have no idea. You might try that before taking it in.

reg
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    I have the same new 12" machine, with the same "bends" you mention. At first I was quite annoyed too, until I realized as others have mentioned that it probably has to do with the rubber bumpers.

Still though, I also did expect sort of a tigher fit when closed, and I imagine most people would. But I think it's just more of a cosmetic annoyance than an actual problem or defect.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I have observed this deformation, as well (on a used iBook). It definitely has to do with the rubber stoppers. My impression (no pun intended) is that the case gets bent out of shape as you carry the ibook. If you carry it with one hand, you may grip it firmly at the centerline of the case, which would eventually cause a bow in the screen half of the iBook. Similarly, you may have carried the iBook, wedged tightly near the armpit, which would eventually cause the same bowing in the case.

So this leads me to a verdict that this problem comes not from a design defect, per se, but a design oversight. The combination of the rubber supports toward the outside of the case and the flex space toward the center is there to allow the latch mechanism to do its job. However, this setup also makes it susceptible to prolonged stress applied at the center of the case if you grasp it there while transporting the unit. In hindsight, the obvious thing to do is to not grasp it there, but to only support the case along the periphery when possible.

Of course, that doesn't help to find that out after the effect. Hey, I don't know what to tell ya. \ It does kind of suck.

So I knew I didn't want this to happen to the next iBook I get. So I took some preventative measures. I got some foam tape and cut some rectangles to afix closer toward the center of the case (near the latch). So that provides auxilliary support along with the rubber bumps at the outside of the case. The size and location of the foam rectangles is suggested by a careful balance of support, while not interfering with the normal operation of the latch (of which I nearly went overboard in that respect). It requires a bit more closure force to engage the latch, but the appearance of deformation in the case is utterly negligible. So I think this is a solution that will work (and possibly a solution Apple should take into further consideration in their ongoing iBook specifications). If you have a "virgin" iBook (that you are satisfied is in good working order), the foam tape should be a good mod to consider. If the case has already been deformed, I really don't think it can be returned to its original shape.

As an aside, anybody who has a sagging battery pack (likely due to an unfortunate incident where the iBook escapes from your hands and lands on the floor), there is a fix for that, too. You can chalk that up to another Apple oversight, if you will. It's not enough to stop it from functioning properly, but enough to be visually disconcerting, unfortunately. Just realize that the battery pack is a hefty mass to decelerate when an iBook hits the floor, so something is bound to get deformed in the process. How much is Apple liable if the owner drops their iBook to the floor is anyone's guess. However, they surely must have seen this occur in their own physical testing...or not. Who knows?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

I have observed this deformation, as well (on a used iBook). It definitely has to do with the rubber stoppers. My impression (no pun intended) is that the case gets bent out of shape as you carry the ibook. If you carry it with one hand, you may grip it firmly at the centerline of the case, which would eventually cause a bow in the screen half of the iBook. Similarly, you may have carried the iBook, wedged tightly near the armpit, which would eventually cause the same bowing in the case.

So this leads me to a verdict that this problem comes not from a design defect, per se, but a design oversight. The combination of the rubber supports toward the outside of the case and the flex space toward the center is there to allow the latch mechanism to do its job. However, this setup also makes it susceptible to prolonged stress applied at the center of the case if you grasp it there while transporting the unit. In hindsight, the obvious thing to do is to not grasp it there, but to only support the case along the periphery when possible.

Of course, that doesn't help to find that out after the effect. Hey, I don't know what to tell ya. \ It does kind of suck.

So I knew I didn't want this to happen to the next iBook I get. So I took some preventative measures. I got some foam tape and cut some rectangles to afix closer toward the center of the case (near the latch). So that provides auxilliary support along with the rubber bumps at the outside of the case. The size and location of the foam rectangles is suggested by a careful balance of support, while not interfering with the normal operation of the latch (of which I nearly went overboard in that respect). It requires a bit more closure force to engage the latch, but the appearance of deformation in the case is utterly negligible. So I think this is a solution that will work (and possibly a solution Apple should take into further consideration in their ongoing iBook specifications). If you have a "virgin" iBook (that you are satisfied is in good working order), the foam tape should be a good mod to consider. If the case has already been deformed, I really don't think it can be returned to its original shape.

As an aside, anybody who has a sagging battery pack (likely due to an unfortunate incident where the iBook escapes from your hands and lands on the floor), there is a fix for that, too. You can chalk that up to another Apple oversight, if you will. It's not enough to stop it from functioning properly, but enough to be visually disconcerting, unfortunately. Just realize that the battery pack is a hefty mass to decelerate when an iBook hits the floor, so something is bound to get deformed in the process. How much is Apple liable if the owner drops their iBook to the floor is anyone's guess. However, they surely must have seen this occur in their own physical testing...or not. Who knows?

hey, i was thinking a white foam tape on both sides of the center latch for my 'virgin' ibook.

reg,

thanks for the tips, it does......work.......

i am now a happy man with my virgin ibook.....

but more questions here (this is my first laptop),

when i load the CD and play it, the noise is quite 'big', so playing audio CD seems impossible and i can feel the vibration of the ibook and the table too.

do u ibookers have the same sort of problems, or i am just paranoid.

thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    my advice is to go to an apple reseller and ask for a repair
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by firehc

hey, i was thinking a white foam tape on both sides of the center latch for my 'virgin' ibook.

reg,

thanks for the tips, it does......work.......

i am now a happy man with my virgin ibook.....

but more questions here (this is my first laptop),

when i load the CD and play it, the noise is quite 'big', so playing audio CD seems impossible and i can feel the vibration of the ibook and the table too.

do u ibookers have the same sort of problems, or i am just paranoid.

thanks.

perhaps u could run a diagnostic like an apple hardware test...the settings could be off...just last week i checked up on my G3 iBook and now the fan problems are gone and its running much quieter...but then again, my book groans when u open up appleworks

G5 Powerbook....