Apple rates its own products with '5 Apples'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has added a feature to its new iPod Store that allows customers to submit their own reviews, as well as a 1 to 5 star rating for third party products listed on the store. "Within five days, Apple will take a closer look at your review. If it follows the terms and conditions described below, we?ll decide whether to publish it," says a document detailing the new feature.

However, costumers are unable to provide reviews of Apple's own products. "All Apple products have a rating of "5 Apples" because we think they?re great," reads a comical statement on the store Web site. "Would you trust us to display less than perfect ratings on our own products? We didn?t think so!"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A little bizarre, but at least they're open about it!

I guess the accessory reviews are potentially useful--and I can see that letting people review Apple products would just lead to a lot of Wintrolling nonsense.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Wow Apple. Wow.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Well I suppose a five star rating with that disclaimer is fine. After all I don't think any company would list their product as "1 star, because we prefer the competitions's offerings".
  • Reply 4 of 32
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Apple is growing more "childish" by the day. A consuming focus on the iPod, apple ratings, etc. What's next, baby clothes? Or maybe baby food...

<sarcastic headline>

Apple releases new "Baked Apples" baby food for immediate consumption. An Apple spokesman states: "What? Did you think we'd release something with potatoes instead?" An iPod-style warming cradle that can be ordered separately.

</sarcastic headline>
  • Reply 5 of 32
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Apple is growing more "childish" by the day. A consuming focus on the iPod, apple ratings, etc. What's next, baby clothes? Or maybe baby food...

<sarcastic headline>

Apple releases new "Baked Apples" baby food for immediate consumption. An Apple spokesman states: "What? Did you think we'd release something with potatoes instead?" An iPod-style warming cradle that can be ordered separately.

</sarcastic headline>

No, I think they are getting their confidence, quirckiness, humor and friendliness back. It's a been a while and it's nice to see. It's what makes them great afterall.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

...and I can see that letting people review Apple products would just lead to a lot of Wintrolling nonsense.

That's exactly it. We'd have unmoderated flame wars happenning at the online Apple Store.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Is it just me or is everyone here too dense to capture the sarcasm of this option?

MacWorld comes to mind.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

That's exactly it. We'd have unmoderated flame wars happenning at the online Apple Store.

Maybe we could move some of our Political Outsider regulars to the Apple Store?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    that is just as crazy as when your car is serviced the dealer fills out the rating card with all 5s (out of five) and all your information and asks you to send it to corprate headquaters, they note that they presume you give them all fives since they are so great.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

No, I think they are getting their confidence, quirckiness, humor and friendliness back. It's a been a while and it's nice to see. It's what makes them great afterall.

Exactly. It is the kind of company that would incorporate on April Fool's Day and sell a computer for $666. If the people who are working there are having fun while they are working hard, I think they will continue to produce (dare I say), 'Insanely Great Products'.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    First of all, you'll notice that Apple's products are rated with apples and the third party products are rated with stars. To me this clearly indicates that Apple is looking for feedback on the third party products they carry in order to better serve their customers - if a particular product has a very low rating, maybe Apple will stop wasting time selling it?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I also think that people wouldn't trust Apple to edit reviews of their own products in an unbiased way anyway. Better for Apple to leave that to third parties who at least have the appearance of impartiality.

(Not that I'm saying users are bad for not trusting Apple; rather, users are correct in trusting no commercial operation to provide unedited feedback on its own products.)
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Maybe we could move some of our Political Outsider regulars to the Apple Store?

You mean like me? Follow me, the pied piper of PoliticalOutsider!
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Seriously. Does anyone (including anyone at Apple) who doesn't run it on a dual G5 think iPhoto deserves 5 Apples? It's the slowest program on the planet.

Maybe iPhoto 1.0 or 2.0, but definitely not iPhoto '04. I run it on my 600MHz iBook G3 (640MB RAM) with no issues. So in terms of speed, it's not bad. I still don't think I'd give it 5 Apples though... they need to add some more flexible printing options and some nicer templates for the webpage export feature.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    My 10 MP scans choke iPhoto 4 for a minute when I go into Edit mode, but otherwise, it's fine. Could defnitely use refinement to the UI IMO.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Seriously. Does anyone (including anyone at Apple) who doesn't run it on a dual G5 think iPhoto deserves 5 Apples? It's the slowest program on the planet.

I have to totally agree with you. We have loads of pics from our 3.2 megapixel camera. (Not even that huge) Clicking on any of them requires a couple second for them to come up. Loading the same pictures on Picasa or Adobe on PC is instant.

Nick
  • Reply 17 of 32
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    lame apple, laaaaaame

you should just leave out your own products from being rated at all
  • Reply 18 of 32
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    y'all actually use iPhoto?

Jeeez, i'm sorry for ya. I only use it to more easily make my .Mac website photogalleries or when I have to show off a picture slideshow. But not to edit, view, or anything else. Preview is your friend (sort of)
  • Reply 19 of 32
    hahah! I think their comment was funny!

As with iPhoto, it runs fine for me, it does have a second delay when I double click on a picture, but its understandable since I have encryption turned on. Switching songs on itunes also has a fraction of a second delay. But when encryption is off they both are speed devils imo, especially compared to the startup times on photoshop... 30 seconds
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I disagree. What makes Apple great is their ability to excel in design while providing good performance for computing tasks. I don't really care if the company that makes my computer is "confident, quirky, humorous or friendly" (ok, well, maybe friendly would be nice ).

I love Apple COMPUTERS - good value for money (IMO), good performance, great design, compatability, etc. The PowerBook is the sweetest laptop/notebook computer available. No, it doesn't have the greatest performance, and some would probably argue that it doesn't even have the greatest design, lowest weight, etc. But it's the combination of those factors that makes Apple's PowerBook so great. The same thing could be said about many Apple computer systems. The iMac G5 and even the G4 iMac and their innovation, etc.

But, right now, Apple has thrown most of its push into the iPod and becoming more "quirky and humorous." That's fine. BUT as a professional user, that's worrisome. What will Apple do once the iPod is in the hands of every single human being on the face of the planet? I personally feel as if my sector of Apple's production is stagnant and stalled. And that concerns me when considering future professional products from Apple.

2004 updates to professional products from Apple:

PowerMac = June.

PowerBook = April.

xServe = January.

2004 updates to iPod: 3! January, July and October (iPod Photo and U2).

Granted, the iPod is a LOT easier to update than the professional products, but it just seems a little tilted.

I'm done ranting now. It's just frustrating to be a "professional" Apple user right now.