Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Get clickin' Software Update!

Quote:

The 10.3.6 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:

improved file sharing for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks

more reliable network automounts and launch of network applications

improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphic drivers

additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility

updated Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications

improved compatibility for third party applications

previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300080

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

14MB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    14 MB?

I'm getting 34,6 over here.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Update vs. Combo

Screed
  • Reply 3 of 71
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Well, where are the brave ones ?
  • Reply 4 of 71
    So far so good. I noticed the typing no longer lags while the gifs are going. maybe it's just my imagination or something.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I just installed the 14 MB sucker, 5 minutes ago. No problem yet (knock on wood). Safari appears to be a bit faster.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple Computer today released Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update, which delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:

improved file sharing for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks

more reliable network automounts and launch of network applications

improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphic drivers

additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility

updated Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications

improved compatibility for third party applications

previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300080

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Woohoo, something new and fun that might make life better, but might mess something up! Can't wait to download!
  • Reply 8 of 71
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Combo updater is up.

92MB! The standard updater is, indeed, 14MB. \

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 71
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    "Resolves an issue in which the display could sometimes remain dark when waking from display sleep (the mouse pointer might appear, but normal function could not be restored) if using Screen Saver password on a portable computer."

OMG!, finally.

Although the problem doesn't just affect portables.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Downloaded the 14MB update and all seems well on my 1.25 PB. The update mentions videocard updates, happen to know if they updated PB GPU drivers?
  • Reply 11 of 71
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Checked out Calculator. Quit and relaunched it, but now I can't see the Calculator window. It's nowhere to be found. And the "Speak Button Pressed" feature doesn't work when pressing certain keys with the keypad, although that's not a new feature in this version.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolfactor

Checked out Calculator....

Same problem here.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Same problem here.

Okay, now it's fixed, but I have no idea why. Maybe there's a restriction on how often we can run an application. Too quick and the computer says "uh uh... take a break man... you're working way too hard!"
  • Reply 14 of 71
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolfactor

Okay, now it's fixed, but I have no idea why. Maybe there's a restriction on how often we can run an application. Too quick and the computer says "uh uh... take a break man... you're working way too hard!"

If you click Speak Button Pressed then relaunch the window for the calculator never shows up, if you then uncheck that and relaunch it shows the window. You also get this error in console:

2004-11-05 18:17:53.397 Calculator[445] *** -[NSSpeechSynthesizer _setRate:]: selector not recognized
  • Reply 15 of 71
    34.6MB download took less than a minute total to download and install (campus connection and dual2.5 G5)
  • Reply 16 of 71
    What is this 14MB one? I am using Software Update and it's come up with 34.6MB ?

I like the sound of network updates, hopefully that'll resolve the problem I have with seeing my windows PC
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

What is this 14MB one? I am using Software Update and it's come up with 34.6MB ?

Some people have the 14MB one, such as me, and others are seeing the 34.6MB one. No idea why.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Obviously, Software Update customizes the install for a particular computer.

my iMacG5 got the 34MB, my iMacG3 and iBookG3 got the 14MB.

Couldn't really tell what might have been different though ...
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Obviously, Software Update customizes the install for a particular computer.

my iMacG5 got the 34MB, my iMacG3 and iBookG3 got the 14MB.

Couldn't really tell what might have been different though ...

AFAIK the iMac runs a special build and not the stock 10.3.5 build. So maybe there are more things that need to be patched ... at least you did not have to pull down the Combo which is more than 90MB!
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Got the 14 MB update on my dual 2.0 G5. Perhaps it just depends on whether all previous updates had been installed by the user or not?