Apple rates its own products with '5 Apples'

2»

Comments

• Reply 22 of 32
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joltguy

Maybe iPhoto 1.0 or 2.0, but definitely not iPhoto '04. I run it on my 600MHz iBook G3 (640MB RAM) with no issues. So in terms of speed, it's not bad. I still don't think I'd give it 5 Apples though... they need to add some more flexible printing options and some nicer templates for the webpage export feature.

Curious... how many photos do you have.

iPhoto takes multiple seconds to respond to any click on my dual 450 with 1.5gigs of ram and a radeon 8500 (64mb). I think that a couple thousand photos is enough to make it unuseable on all but the highest end machines.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

I disagree. What makes Apple great is their ability to excel in design while providing good performance for computing tasks. I don't really care if the company that makes my computer is "confident, quirky, humorous or friendly" (ok, well, maybe friendly would be nice ).

I love Apple COMPUTERS - good value for money (IMO), good performance, great design, compatability, etc. The PowerBook is the sweetest laptop/notebook computer available. No, it doesn't have the greatest performance, and some would probably argue that it doesn't even have the greatest design, lowest weight, etc. But it's the combination of those factors that makes Apple's PowerBook so great. The same thing could be said about many Apple computer systems. The iMac G5 and even the G4 iMac and their innovation, etc.

But, right now, Apple has thrown most of its push into the iPod and becoming more "quirky and humorous." That's fine. BUT as a professional user, that's worrisome. What will Apple do once the iPod is in the hands of every single human being on the face of the planet? I personally feel as if my sector of Apple's production is stagnant and stalled. And that concerns me when considering future professional products from Apple.

2004 updates to professional products from Apple:

PowerMac = June.

PowerBook = April.

xServe = January.

2004 updates to iPod: 3! January, July and October (iPod Photo and U2).

Granted, the iPod is a LOT easier to update than the professional products, but it just seems a little tilted.

I'm done ranting now. It's just frustrating to be a "professional" Apple user right now.

Sorry but the fact that you are posting on a apple fan forum kind of negates every aspect of your argument. You use a mac for more reasons than design and performance. You just don't want to admit it.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Sorry but the fact that you are posting on a apple fan forum kind of negates every aspect of your argument. You use a mac for more reasons than design and performance. You just don't want to admit it.

Of course I use the Mac for more reasons than design and performance! I'm more than willing to admit that. Mac OS X is the best operating system on the planet (and maybe beyond). I think the iApps are fabulous. I think the smaller user base of Mac users compared to PC users is a huge advantage. I think that attention paid to the little things is amazing. I could go on forever on why I use a Mac. And I'm more than willing to admit them all.

My point was (how this could be missed is beyond me) that 3 updates of the iPod in a year compared to one update of professional products is frustrating. We've seen Logic 7 and Motion (two professional products). Two great steps forward. But, the complaints about iPhoto in the posts above point out a huge problem that Apple MUST face at some point or another. All the greatest software in the world needs some really good hardware to run on, and last time I checked, Motion and Logic and iPhoto and GarageBand don't run on the iPod... yet. They run on computer systems built by Apple.

Listen, I understand that Apple is having a huge year in terms of profit and marketability based on the iPod. That's fabulous. As a Mac user (and someone with a semblance of intelligence), I can understand their pushing of that product for both the Mac and PC platforms. Great. But, with the delays of 30" cinema displays and NVidia graphics cards for PowerMac buyers, the lack of new PowerBooks that have performance anywhere close to the PC world and an xServe update every blue moon... the computer system market (granted, only the professional side) is struggling.

I love the iMacs, the iBooks and the iPod. They all serve their purpose really well. I just think there's more professionals that use Apple products that are being left out a bit. That's all.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Curious... how many photos do you have.

iPhoto takes multiple seconds to respond to any click on my dual 450 with 1.5gigs of ram and a radeon 8500 (64mb). I think that a couple thousand photos is enough to make it unuseable on all but the highest end machines.

Wow... you must not have iPhoto '04. I've got 4203 photos, the majority of which are 5 megapixel in size, and iPhoto is extremely usable. I use it on my 1GHz 17" PowerBook with 1G of RAM. I wouldn't call this the highest end anymore.

Now, iLife 3 was indeed dog slow (rotating a picture took at least 15 seconds for me). This is no longer the case since I upgraded to iLife '04.

John
  • Reply 26 of 32
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by John Whitney

Wow... you must not have iPhoto '04.

Nope, running iPhoto 04 here as well.

I guess responsiveness truly is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

"All Apple products have a rating of "5 Apples" because we think they?re great," reads a comical statement on the store Web site.

This is better than most... I work with a guy whose former job was to go online under various aliases and write positive reviews for his company's products. That's all he did, all day every day.

No company can afford to have negative reviews of it's products right up next to the "Buy it now" button... Apple is just doing this in a limited way, openly and honestly.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HumanJHawkins

This is better than most... I work with a guy whose former job was to go online under various aliases and write positive reviews for his company's products. That's all he did, all day every day.

No company can afford to have negative reviews of it's products right up next to the "Buy it now" button... Apple is just doing this in a limited way, openly and honestly.

You think we're fools?

Your second post ever (hmmm...) and you're defending an Apple marketing strategy, which is what most of us here most criticize.

And you "worked with" someone who goes online all day under various aliases? Yeah, well I have a "friend" with a rash and a premature ejaculation problem, can you tell me what to do so I can tell him?

You work on Infinite Loop or are you subcontracted. Out with it!

--B
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

You think we're fools? <CUT> You work on Infinite Loop or are you subcontracted. Out with it!

Ha... Yes. That's it in fact.

Actually, I knew that sounded kinda' dumb when I wrote it. But it's true. This is a small town, and I didn't want to put my co-worker in a tough position with his former company. Plus, it would be a little unfair to single out one fairly small online retailer when I think alomst all of them do this.

Whateva' whateva' I do what I want!
  • Reply 30 of 32
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I want to be able to defend this, but the best I can come up with is cosmetic reasons. It would look silly to see certain (great) products not rated next to the 3rd party stuff that is rated.

However I cant say it and feel good justifying it. I tried.

Better to simply phrase the rating as a 3rd party only thing. Rating Apple products would lead to abuse, I agree.