why do people like shrek so much?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Look at this crap

shrek looks so retarded esp. animation wise. the new dreamworks movie Shark Tales looks just as bad. i love sharks and i refuse to see this movie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

Look at this crap

shrek looks so retarded esp. animation wise. the new dreamworks movie Shark Tales looks just as bad. i love sharks and i refuse to see this movie

there was a dreamworks trailer before the incredibles which i found odd

However, I really enjoyed the trailer and am sadly excited about it. Madagascar. Looks pretty funny. plus, i have a thing for penguins.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    I just rented Shrek 1 and it was very boring. There is nothing special about Shrek's face. He looks like anyone could have created him. Eddie Murhpy as Donkey was also lame. We've seen enough wise cracking black cop movies and now we've got those same lame cracks in kids movies.

I think that Shrek and even Pixar a little bit are popular because parents want to take their kids to something wholesome. Disney movies are outdated and the Disney feel only works if the movie is goo,. so less kiddy animation sells well.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think Pixar films would be a wee bit better if they were slightly less wholesome.

Pixar's talent is being able to exceed Dreamwork's films, while still maintaining a G rating (Shrek is PG).

I like the direction they're taking it in with The Incredibles. The humor is a little bit less bland, less physical.

Cars I just plain don't get.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I also notice that the CNN article is comparing Shrek 2 which has had a months-long run, to The Incredible's sub-one-week opening.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    One the one hand, I don't think Pixar guys care too much if Dreamworks does well because it's not like it's the kind of industry where you can over-saturate the market and people stop showing up for one company's films. The article is something that I think people on the outside have created, and I'd bet that Dreamworks sees this as a rivalry. I say that because, while a lot of Apple fanatics complain about who stole what from Apple, Dreamworks has no shame in taking Pixar's ideas, or rather settings, wholesale at times. I mean, they're paying particular attention to what Pixar is doing, what their subjects are and when they're coming out with stuff. It's no coincidence that the Shrek 2 DVD came out on Friday.

First Pixar made A Bug's Life, then Dreamwork's Ants was made and actually beat Pixar's film to theaters. Shrek is fairly original, more of a riff on Disney films than a Pixar one, unless you want to argue that the title character has some vague resemblance to Sully in Monsters Inc. I think Dreamworks gets a pass on that one. Anyway, after Finding Nemo, A Shark's Tale comes out. They're all different movies, but it's like Dreamworks cribbed the notes in Variety about the Pixar films and wrote their own stories around them. I'm just waiting for Dreamworks' next animated feature to be about a family of superheroes or maybe about race cars.

Anyway, the Dreamworks films are non-stop in-jokes. How many kids are going to get all the Godfather references in A Shark's Tale? I don't know how kids find them funny when all the jokes are referring to things they've mostly never seen or didn't experience. I mean, we see plenty of parody, satire and homage in other comedies, but they either play to an older audience or they add it as another layer to the jokes. When I saw Shrek 2 with friends and all those kids were laughing at the 80's Flashdance references and whatnot, I decided that kids somehow laugh when they're expected to, not necessarily when they find something funny. I mean, some of that stuff was really funny because I knew what they were making fun of, but by the end I was tired of that stuff too because it was just one in-joke after another. Even the Simpsons mixes it up with their own jokes that are actually topical to the plot.

I agree that the animation, by attempting to make the characters and settings more realistic, actually makes it much worse. I probably won't be able to stand The Polar Express because it makes the same mistake. There should be a set of commandments for 3D animation, the first being that the more real you try to make your characters look, the less believable they will be. The human eye can spot the slightest incongruity in a human character's movements, and it takes me right out of the film when I see it. (I could spot problems in the LotR trilogy the same way. Drove me nuts.) I have a much easier time accepting (aka, suspending disbelief) if the features and movements are actually exaggerated. Still, I know plenty of people who think that Shrek's human characters exceed anything Pixar or even 2D anime have done, and will think the same of The Polar Express. Hey, plenty of people think this Gateway is pretty nice too.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    People like Shrek because it is hilarious. Shrek 2 especially.

I think it's really that simple.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Shrek was okay. It was funny but ... I would never buy it on DVD. I'll add S2 to my rental queue.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    I don't understand the appeal of Shrek at all. So ugly. Pixar has put out hit after hit after hit. Shrek is just a one hit wonder.

I agree that Pixar is a little too wholesome, but there is no doubt they are the superior studio. Shark tale is proof enough that Dreamworks can't produce consistent hits.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Maybe when Pixar gets away from Disney they will get edger.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Shrek is a light hearted movie with a good theme. The first movie was based on the quote "beauty is not skin deep". It is unfortunate that you came out of the movie thinking the ogre is ugly. Maybe you need to listen more to the scripts...
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Maybe when Pixar gets away from Disney they will get edger.

you clearly don't understand Pixar.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Shrek is funny, but it's not the best 3 D animation movie ever (in a technical point of vue).

Nemo was for me the best 3D technical animation movie.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    shrek doesn't teach you much, so it's pretty worthless IMO

i liked Pixar's Bug's Life movie
  • Reply 14 of 51
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

Shrek is supposed to teach moral values : like tolerance, to fight racism, love ...

Anyway, I'll say Shrek moral teaching is a chip one (read simplistic). They are far better movies for that : like Philadelphia, the purple color, Mississipi burning ... (add your own list here).

I took Shrek for what is it : entertainement. And yes it was a good one.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Shrek is a light hearted movie with a good theme. The first movie was based on the quote "beauty is not skin deep". It is unfortunate that you came out of the movie thinking the ogre is ugly. Maybe you need to listen more to the scripts...

the thing about Shrek and Dreamworks is that they don't have good writers. Pixar is what Disney used to be. Enjoyable on many levels. The humor is funny to both kids and adults. The adult only jokes are subtle and not harsh or crude. Shrek and Dreamworks take the easy way out. Crude/vulgar/harsh.... watching Shrek, it just doesn't have the same effect on me. I don't want to see cheap toilet humor. Pixar is above that. Pixar is above dissing other studies or movies in their movies. When I watch a Pixar movie things impress me, the writing style impresses me, the little touches impress me, it makes me think how they can have such smart/creative people who come up with this stuff and tie it together so well. Pixar gives me the same effect watching movies as Apple does using a mac. I think it's pretty rare and special and it shows in their unprecedented success
  • Reply 16 of 51
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

Bug's life is a remake of the Kurosawa movie "the seven samurai". One of the best movies ever made.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

you clearly don't understand Pixar.

Do tell.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Do tell.

see above.

if you think Disney is what keeps Pixar's movies from being reduced to the shit that most studios consider "edgy" than you don't recognize the intentions of Pixar and their philosophy.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    The thing that pisses me off about dreamworks is that ALL of their jokes are puns or cliches. if youve seen that father of the pride show on fox, you know what im talking about.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Umm here is the question: why do people like Monty Python so much? I mean oh my GOD. It is...mildy amusing. Once. To hear people recite it from memory makes me sick. Sometimes I pretend to laugh, sometimes I pretend I haven't seen it. I mean damnit. It's just lame slapstick and some lame nonsense. Like when they get going on about seagulls or whatever in the beginning of the Holy Grail, that kind of crap is so boring. It's so...British, I guess? Anyway, Shrek is just good, but it was just what the country needed when it came out, and then, when it came out with 2. What I really like that is underrated is the Emperor's New Groove.