buying a new powerbook tonight - crazy?

in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all,

I've been a PC user all my life, and for the last four years I've been lusting over a Powerbook. Tonight, I've finally got the go-ahead from my parents to order (I'm a college student). I can't decide if I should buy now or wait until January, though. Here's my line of thinking:

For buying now:

All (or at least, most) of the kinks with the current PB's have been worked out by now, and I know what I'm buying. Meanwhile, the Revision A G5's, if they even come out at MWSF, may not be incredibly stable. There's also the fact that I could start enjoying the glory of OSX this week instead of March (which I'm guessing is when new Powerbooks would start shipping if they *were* introduced in January).

Against buying now:

The current PB G4 has the infamous 167mhz front side bus, and has otherwise long been due for an update. If I can hold off another 2 months I may have hope of a significantly better computer for less money.

Basically, I'm going to be using this computer for the next 3-4 years. I want it for music, movies, maybe messing around with garageband, typing up papers, and (of course) playing World of Warcraft. And it seems to me, the current G4 is enough for all of that.

Planned config:

15" 1.5 ghz G4 Powerbook

128mb Radeon 9700m

512mb (1 dimm) plus another 512 dimm bought from crucial

80gb 5400 rpm drive

combo drive (to save on costs)

Some tests seem to suggest that powerbooks don't lag *that* far behind the new imacs, but am I crazy for buying now?


edit: Also, this link got me thinking...


  • Reply 1 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wait a while, because if they're not going G5, they'll be going Freescale G4.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I think the consensus is that MWSF will give us at the very, very least a speedbumped G4. Is it worth waiting for it? Up to you. If the G5 is introduced and you don't want a Rev A, save some money on a closeout G4. With a little patience, you end up winning either way.

  • Reply 3 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Apple has stated that the PowerBooks are good through the Holidays. I wouldn't be surprised if they went G5 in January, or maybe not until the next update. But I think it's always a good time to buy if you know for sure they're not going to be updated for a while.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Being a PC guy, you may not know this site, but they say no.

  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hold off. I know it;s the hardest thing in the world to do, but just compare the specs of the iBooks to the Powerbooks, their practically identical (except for the graphics) and half the cost. Something has to give soon.
Sign In or Register to comment.