Should Apple port games?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Get a room, you two.

It was tolerable when you were still trying to shoehorn in technical arguments. Now it's just infantile.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    While I don't care about games much, I do think Apple should port some games (major ones).

Especially if Apple wants to appeal to college students with their iBooks and to home users with the iMac, as college students also happen to be (mostly) people that play a lot of games. I know iBook isn't optimized for games and such (pitiful graphic card), but that doesn't mean it can't change.

The short run profit is not much; but in the long run, and especially if their machines perform good and people are happy, they would get a big profit out of it.

But I guess they're sticking to their "we're not an ordinary gamers company" approach to the IT industry. And I like it. But that doesn't mean everybody else will.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Get a room, you two.

It was tolerable when you were still trying to shoehorn in technical arguments. Now it's just infantile.

It'd be more tolerable if AirSluf could actually answer my question...but because he knows nothing about anything, he's incapable of bringing a good discussion.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 45 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Go back and read the other thread. It's there, just like Kickaha started off with refuting your points last time--but you didn't talk trash to a mod now did you. CI/CV (and CoreGraphics) ARE Q2DE. Q2DE is inseparable from CG/CI/CV.

But this is wrong. Q2DE is not CI/CV and only inseperable from CI/CV because they're not even remotely the same. How can we take you seriously when you're wrong every time you think Q2DE is the same as CI/CV?

Again, Q2DE and CI/CV are not the same. Can someone else help me drill this into AirSluf's thick head?

Educate yourself and save yourself from looking stupid. http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html

CI/CV uses pixel-shading to create effects seen in Apple's presentation such as water droplet transitions or a simple sepia filter. Q2DE does none of this.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 47 of 62
    Quartz is a general purpose drawing API. CI/CV is an intermediate layer that applies pixel-shades to textures/graphics that are then drawn or composited by Quartz or Quartz Extreme.

Quartz 2D Extreme is like Quartz 2D except that the CPU is saved from the burden of drawing the text, lines, vector and bitmap graphics since they are passed directly to the GPU.

They are not the same...at...all.

I let you wallow in your own ignorance. You've obviously no fucking clue what you're talking about. I think you're a lost cause. And until someone else comes in and tells you you're wrong, I don't think you're ever going to step down.

All you're doing right now is taking bits and pieces of things people have said and pieced them together wrong. Come on, can someone else step in and slap some sense into this mofo?

A trip down to ArsTechnica's Mac Achaiea might do you some good actually...start a thread saying Q2DE and CI/CV are the same thing or even Quartz and CI/CV being the same and see how long you last.
  • Reply 48 of 62

• Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:

Only in the very narrowest sense. Quartz draws in 2D via CoreGraphics, Quartz Extreme adds GPU compositing (hmm sounds like rudimentary pixel shaders--is there a foreshadowing going on here?).

Nope Quartz Extreme is not 'rudimentary pixel shading'. Sorry, try again.

Quote:

Quartz 2D Extreme is the evolution of both together and the addition of separate APIs for the CoreImage pixel shading and CoreVideo pixel manipulation.

Wrong again.

Quote:

[b]

But it all falls together as the the Quartz2D Extreme layer in Tiger. There is no separate Quartz code, take a look at the dev documentation for Jaguar Quartz 2D -- it's CoreGraphics. CG IS Quartz 2D.

Nope sorry. Core Graphics is a collection of routines, some of which compose Quartz 2D. But Core Graphics is not Quartz 2D. Just as Quartz 2D or Quartz 2D Extreme are not CI/CV.

Quote:

Is it beginning to sink in yet? Has the sheer simplicity and cold hard fact-ness of it gotten through??? Do you have any reason to have us believe Apple is magically going to change it's whole graphics API organization just because they add two companion modules to the Quartz layer and tag the combined set with the "Extreme" label??? Maybe your argument should be with Apple, they don't seem to hold your idea of code naming conventions.

Until you cite some hard sources, you are irrelevant and unsuppported. Since there are no sources that support your views, that will make it difficult. That simple.

I don't need sources...you need them...you're lost without them.

I urge you to go to ArsTechnica and repost this nonsense. Do it...it'll be funny. In fact, don't post in this thread again until you do or you're essentially going to be admitting defeat.
  • Reply 50 of 62

• Reply 51 of 62
    So you have lost the argument. Thank you for admitting so. You've shifted goal posts all along the way too...bravo, AirHead. Good show.

You could still post what you've just said on ArsTech if you still want to prove a point though. You can also go reread the Quartz 2D Extreme thread you link to so often to learn the differences between CI/CV and Q2DE. Kickaha mentions some of them.
  • Reply 52 of 62

• Reply 53 of 62

• Reply 54 of 62
    All of those quotes (except Idébu who doesn't understand what CI/CV is) support my point, AirHead. And they show that you're wrong.

CI/CV are an additions...an intermediate layer that allows manipulation of textures before they are drawn to screen) and *not* Quartz or Quartz 2D or Quartz 2D Extreme for that matter. They provide visual tricks for free...or with little code. It pixel-shades textures which are then sent to Quartz for drawing.

Idébu is wrong on the idea that CoreImage is an upgrade to Quartz Extreme...they don't provide the same functionality. Quartz Extreme simply offloads rectangular textures that make up the screen elements to the GPU via OpenGL so they are drawn faster. CoreImage allows manipulation of these textures (like the ripple effect when you open a widget in Dashboard.)

spankalee agrees with me...and not you.

MrVacBob agrees with me...CI is pixel-shading for Dummies.

shawnce agrees with me also...CI offloads to the GPU and so does Quartz Extreme. But that doesn't mean they do the same thing. Again, one offloads textures to the GPU, the other applies pixel-shaders to textures.

Unfortunately, you have no clue what you're talkign about...you're also looking more stupid everytime you pick quotes that support my points...you link completely different things together because they share one thing in common (like using the GPU or because they have 'Quartz' somewhere in the name...how many times have you mixed up Quartz, Quartz 2D, Quartz Extreme, and Quartz 2D Extreme? ).

Next thing that'll come out of your mouth (or fingers) will be that OpenGL is Quartz because they both draw things on the screen.

You're pathetic and a waste of time. Too chicken to post on Ars because you know you're wrong. And too thick-headed to actually learn what CI/CV and Quartz 2D Extreme really are. It's funny but all along the thread, you went from disagreeing with me to agreeing with me without even knowing it.

I wish you'd actually post on Ars because I've got a feeling Kickaha or Amorph don't want to participate in this thread because you poo-pooed all over it. Although I wish they'd come in here and set it straight for you because you don't want to listen to me.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Apple should port some old games as a way of raising the bar on the quality of software (doing things that other developers perhaps aren't doing) and as a way to say thanks to game fans. Scrub that list of applications still missing from OS X and take a couple of the games. Again, raise the bar on what can be done and appease some fans in the process.
  • Reply 56 of 62

• Reply 57 of 62

• Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:

kks, You are truly the most self-deluded individual I have discussed anything with in the last 10 years. Pat yourself on the back all you want, cause it gets mighty lonely where you are...

Keep telling yourself that...it might become true. I find it odd that you managed to get this far with this nonsense and Kickaha hasn't come by to slap you upside the head.

Kickaha, come on in here and 'splain to AirSluf why CI/CV and Quartz 2D Extreme are different so I can have some peace and quiet.

edit: Although I'm glad you took the time to post your question on Ars here http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m=886008837631 ... that's something I can respect.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Of course, I still have to figure out how to create a loooong image and move the memory 'frame' along it, and do collision checks & stuff.

I imagine this is the simplest way to go:

Use same-sized, sequential images. Then pull out the trusty napkin. The only thing that beats a napkin is a whiteboard. Draw a string of images (rectangles) on paper, and draw a screen (another rectangle.. helps you think if it is different size) on top of them, so that the the edges of the screen and images are not clumped up (also helps you think). You know the pixel coordinate of the left side of the screen (say, 2000 pixels from the start of the level - presumably you add to this in a timer loop to scroll forward), the number of the image you are drawing, screen width, and image width. From those, it's easy to figure out a formula that tells you exactly where on the screen to blit each individual rectangle. Then you need to figure out the formulas for the indexes for the first and last onscreen images, so you don't waste time blitting anything offscreen. Done.

Collision checks:

For each pair of objects that can collide (if you're keeping it simple, probably just the player avatar vs. other objects), check if other object max-X or min-X is inside avatar's max-X and min-X. If either is, check max-Y and min-Y in the same way. If either is, there is a collision, do something.

My apologies for interrupting the thread's fine ad hominem content.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    That's All folks...