attention ADC Select members:

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am currently on the ADC Student program but I am ending my studies soon and I wonder if any in here is on the ADC Select program.

Big question: hardware discount. how big is it ?

Zon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenarcade

I am currently on the ADC Student program but I am ending my studies soon and I wonder if any in here is on the ADC Select program.

Big question: hardware discount. how big is it ?

Zon

20%, just like your one time student discount.

it varies on some products but the avg is around 20%.

ADC is worth it if you will take advantage of it. Student membership is one thing at 99. 499 is a whole other thing and if you're doing it simply for the discount you may be better off just not joining.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    What about being a student and doing just to get tiger?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

What about being a student and doing just to get tiger?

If someone isn't a developer or interested in being one they shouldn't join. Anyone who does is just taking advantage of a good thing for their own selfish reasons and once Apple sees the abuse it will kill the program and thus hurt many potential future developers.

In short, If someone were to want Tiger and don't want to pay the price I'd rather see them steal it from one of the "usual sources" then destroy a good thing like the Student ADC Program.

Just my .02 cents

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 6
    point taken. I gues i won' join. I wasn't saying that i would, rather than u winder if i could.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Firstly, I am a current ADC member and was a student member. Between the hardware discounts and copies of OS X, I believe I've always gotten my moneys worth. But keep in mind, I'm also a developer. If I wasn't it might have not been worth it.

That said, the student program is incredible. $100 per year, and you get free copies of the OS and a one-time hardware discount. Definitely worth it if you're buying new gear; I saved over $500 on my Rev A Ti PowerBook.

Now as a "workin' man" I barely grumble about my $500 dues and I get annual discounts on hardware. But I'm also a programmer. If I was a normal dude, it might not be such a deal.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

point taken. I gues i won' join. I wasn't saying that i would, rather than u winder if i could.

I'm sure you could join (so long as you're a student) and who knows, you might wanna give programming some serious thought... It really is quite fun (and annoying at the same time). Being able to roll your own app can be quite empowering and the $100 price is a great deal.

Programming covers a lot of things...

- AppleScript

- Cocoa

- Shell Scripting

- Web Development

- Widgets (for tiger)

- Automator Actions (for tiger)

- etc etc etc

All I was saying was someone who honestly knew they had zero interest in programming really shouldn't take advantage of the system. The system was put in place to encourage people to learn how to develop and even if only 1 in 10 get 'hooked' it's a good thing.

Dave