Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
www.mozilla.org

workin' good for me so far...

but sticking with Safari until further notice

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Crashed on me after two minutes while clicking for a popup screen with a Quicktime movie (wich Safari does without a hickup). I guess v. 1 still needs some ironing ...

But it's fast, faster than Safari.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    The Mac-tuned version (1.1) is due in the new year.

They weren't going to make a big deal out of 1.0 for the Mac but they were getting such good user feedback even without the final Mac polish that they released it at the same time as Windows and Linux.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Despite all the hype about firefox, I never bothered trying it until today. I must say, though there are a couple decent features, it's worse than Safari. I get much faster load times with Safari and it seems "snappier" as an app. Obviously some people don't agree with me, but I'm totally sticking with Safari.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ipodandimac, that would be Snappier?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Obviously some people don't agree with me, but I'm totally sticking with Safari.

I've never heard much praise for Firefox from Mac users. After all we've got Safari, Camino, Omniweb (my personal pick) etc.

Windows and Linux users don't really have as great a range of quality browsing options, so they're a bit more gung-ho about it. And obviously, though they've made some big strides recently, Firefox doesn't have the system integration or native Look'n'Feel that Mac users are generally looking for.

The killer for me is inline spellchecking, which is coming to Firefox soon-ish, and is available as an add-on right now, but honestly, after using the built in system-wide spellcheck in Mac OS X, all these app specific spellcheckers are positively stone-age.

Having said that, anyone who develops websites should stop reading this right now and download Firefox plus the webdevelopers extension. It is life-changingly good if that's your field.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Despite all the hype about firefox, I never bothered trying it until today. I must say, though there are a couple decent features, it's worse than Safari. I get much faster load times with Safari and it seems "snappier" as an app. Obviously some people don't agree with me, but I'm totally sticking with Safari.

I was about to say the same thing. Safari is simply the best browser,I can't wait till they release v1.3 with Tiger. I have been seeing Firefox during it's development and while I think it is a great browser (better than IE and Mozilla) I still think that Safari is much better.

But as "stuider...likeafox" said, we got Safari so Firefox won't be such a boom on the Mac as it is in Windows where there is no Safari and IE dominates.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Asimis

I was about to say the same thing. Safari is simply the best browser,I can't wait till they release v1.3 with Tiger. I have been seeing Firefox during it's development and while I think it is a great browser (better than IE and Mozilla) I still think that Safari is much better.

But as "stuider...likeafox" said, we got Safari so Firefox won't be such a boom on the Mac as it is in Windows where there is no Safari and IE dominates.

Actually, from what I gather, Safari 1.3 will be out for Panther and Safari 2.0 will come with Tiger.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Firefoxy http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24768 makes Firefox right at home on the Mac (well almost...)

I've dumped Safari for Firefox already. In fact, also dumped Mail.app for Thunderbird at nearly the same time.

The Apple philoshophy of keeping everything simple has its drawbacks if you like to customize everything. I find Firefox exceedingly customizable while Safari (and Mail.app) lacking behind.

Firefox is blazingly fast, much faster than Safari in my experience. Turn on HTTP pipelining (which is disabled by default) and it flies even faster!

Even better, you can get G4 (the newer PPC7450) optimized versions http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=149532 as well as G5 optimized versions http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=156735 and get faster and faster! These are unofficial builds though, so if you're not comfortable with that...

Firefox rocks! Sorry Safari (and Mail.app)
  • Reply 9 of 41
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

I find Firefox exceedingly customizable while Safari (and Mail.app) lacking behind.

I know nothing about Firefox. What customizability do you like most? Also, does it have the trademark Safari stall when flipping from one tab to another?

--B
  • Reply 10 of 41
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, i think, if safari didn't exist, firefox would be the browser of choice. of course, we DO have safari, so it's kind of a moot point. i try to keep a healthy compliment of browsers on my machine, just in case: Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera (ugh), OMNIWeb, and Firefox is still pretty good, and small (Mozilla is 45 MB!).

and hey, like it or not, please, if you have Windows-using co-workers or friends/family, FORCE-FEED firefox to them if you must. the web must be taken back from stupid proprietary formats from Redmond.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I know nothing about Firefox. What customizability do you like most? Also, does it have the trademark Safari stall when flipping from one tab to another?

--B

My favorites customizability options...

Always use my fonts, ignoring the specified fonts on the website. I recall a discussion earlier that Safari tries to preserve the website as the designer created it, but if you understand HTML, you'll appreciate that websites should be viewed the way the viewer wants it, not the way the designer wants it.

For a while, Safari didn't have a minimum font size feature, which Firefox had for a long time. Further, a size 11 minimum font size is different in size depending on the actual font used. So, if you specified using your own fonts, you'll be sure of consistent behavior.

Cookie preferences. You can disable cookies in general but allow only a few trusted sites (like this forum) to put cookies on your machine. You can do the same with images (ie allow images only from some sites or vice versa) and popup windows also.

Cache customizability. You can even browse your cache to extract certain files or graphics that you might want to copy out. To take this further, when browsing a page, with embedded multimedia stuff (like SWF, MOV, etc), you can hit Apple-I and see all the elements in that page and save whichever you want.

Customize javascript behavior. You can disable scripts' ability to resize windows, hide status bar, change status bar text, etc... And the best, disallow Javascript attempts to disable right clicks (or command clicks).

Find as you type, now with text highlighting and all!

Always open every window as a tab. Even popups. Some people may not like it, but I do. But hey, the behavior is customizable! You can even load groups of bookmarks in a series of tabs. Why bookmark one page, when you can bookmark five simultaneously?

RSS already available, while you have to wait for (and pay for) Safari 2.0 to get this functionality.

More advanced things are like using HTTP pipelining, allow SSL pages to be cached, setting animated GIFs to only animate once or none at all (PithHelmet does this also).

Plus a host of extensions and themes! Best of which is Adblock, which is not unlike PithHelmet, though I prefer Adblock to PithHelmet.

And perhaps a few others that I can't think of right now.

Sure, there might be a few quirks (getting less and less), but I can live with that given all the above. Participate in Bugzilla if and when you find any bugs to help improve the software!
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

Also, does it have the trademark Safari stall when flipping from one tab to another?

--B

Sorry, missed this one...

Not at all! Further, going back and forth sites that you've visited before is incredibly fast due to Firefox's efficient use of the RAM cache.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

I Also, does it have the trademark Safari stall when flipping from one tab to another?

--B

Safari has a stall when switching tabs?
  • Reply 14 of 41
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I've been using Firefox on my PC for a while now. Love it, beats IE hands down.

Aside from it's speed and built in stuff such as tabbed browsing, pop up blocking and RSS, it's the extensions that really make it.

Adblock - ban ads from any site

Image zoom - zoom in and out of any image on a web page

Trasnslate - menu to translate the current page to english or several other languages

Autofill - the firefox version of the IE Google toolbar. It will fill in common info such as addresses and credit card info with a single click.

And the themes. You can make this thing look however you want it to. They can transform it, even changing the look of the menus.

It's great, and it's making real inroads on IE's dominance.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    I've already successfully converted more than 10 people in total to Firefox both on Win and Mac!!!
  • Reply 16 of 41
    I made my sister (who uses a PC) ditch IE and start using Firefox, I also made her ditch MSN Messenger in favor of Trillian.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the only problem I see with Firefox on PC is that its a total RAM whore. bogs down my workstation...
  • Reply 18 of 41
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Dual 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5, 4.5 GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, 160 GB SATA, 250 GB SATA (Hitachi Deskstar250)

'nuff said.

--B
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Turn on HTTP pipelining (which is disabled by default) and it flies even faster!

how do you do that?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    For a lot of configuration options: open a new tab and type "about:config" - without the quotes, of course.